Porter Cable - You have failed me

99_XC600

Over the past 3-4 years, I've been committed to the Porter Cable 20V product line and I've been very happy with all of their products. Part of the attraction was the price point, performance and the 3 year warranty on there products. However in recent days, I'm beginning to question my decision.

In June 2015, I purchased the PCCK602L2 combo kit (Impact and 1/2 drill with 2 Batts). I only needed the drill but it was cheaper to buy the kit versus buying the drill. I already had the impact so I gained a second impact in the deal. I then registered the tools thorough Porter Cable for the warranty..

2 weeks ago, I was working out in the garage and I was using the impact and the tool just stopped working and it began to smoke. It appears that something is stuck in the armature and it's just locked up. Ok, no problem. The tools are registered and are warrantied for 3 years. I'll give them a call.

I contact customer support and they open up a case for me on the tool and then direct me to go to one of their service centers for the warranty process. Everything is going great so far.

On Tuesday, I go to the service center and bring the tool in. The person working at the counter looks at the date code (2014 24 BM) on the tool and hands it back to me and says. Sorry, nothing we can do for you since it's out of the one year warranty.

Huh? What are you talking about, it's registered and I have the receipt. 

Yah, the warranty only covers one year on defects and workmanship of the tool. The remaining 2 years are only good if there's recall on the tool. and you're 2 months out of the one year warranty.

At this point I'm ready to loose my mind. We go back and forth about customer service and how this is unacceptable. He could care less.

So I leave and I call customer support back and tell them what had happened. They confirm that this is indeed the case and that I should go back to the store and speak to a manager.

I ask about shipping directly to Porter Cable for repair and they don't offer it and that I will need to deal with the service center. Are you kidding me?

This has to be the most ass backwards process I've run into. So essentially, even though there is a 3 year warranty on the box. In the end, it's just there for marketing purposes and is really worth nothing. 

Bottom line, Porter Cable does not stand behind their 20V product line. This entire process reminds of a scene from Tommy Boy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I've never run into anything like this.

I work in IT and we have failures all the time with various types of equipment. All you need to do is open up a case and it gets fixed with no headaches and stress.

Granted, there's different expectations whether it's a laptop or a CISCO layer 3 switch, But at the end of the day you should know that the warranty that is implied by the MFG is actually worth something. 

So if the last 2 years of the warranty is for recalls, if you are outside of that period will they not perform recall work? Seems to me you shouldn't need a warranty period for recall work. They should perform that work for free as long as you have the tool. That's a shame, I thought Porter-Cable would be better than that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is how the warranty is written.

THREE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PORTER-CABLE will repair, without charge, any defects due to faulty materials or workmanship for three years from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover part failure due to normal wear or tool abuse. For further detail of warranty coverage and warranty repair information, visit www.deltaportercable.com or call (888) 848-5175. This warranty does not apply to accessories or damage caused where repairs have been made or attempted by others. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may have other rights which vary in certain states or provinces. In addition to the warranty, PORTER-CABLE tools are covered by our:

1 YEAR FREE SERVICE: PORTER-CABLE will maintain the tool and replace worn parts caused by normal use, for free, any time during the first year after purchase.

90 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: If you are not completely satisfied with the performance of your PORTERCABLE Power Tool, Laser, or Nailer for any reason, you can return it within 90 days from the date of purchase with a receipt for a full refund – no questions asked.

LATIN AMERICA: This warranty does not apply to products sold in Latin America. For products sold in Latin America, see country specific warranty information contained in the packaging, call the local company or see website for warranty information. To register your tool for warranty service visit our website at www.deltaportercable.com. WARNING LABEL REPLACEMENT If your warning labels become illegible or are missing, call (888) 848-5175 for a free replacement

Essentially the way it was explained by customer service and the rep from the service center. Is that if there is any type of failure after the initial one year warranty and there is no recall on the part or assembly. It's determined "Normal Wear" and is not covered.

Since I have 2 of these impacts, I used one for mechanical work on the cars and sleds and the newer one is used for carpentry work just so it doesn't get covered in grease and dirt. In reality, there is probably about 2 hours of use on it. It still look brand new.

there will always be something with bigger companies, once they have your money it is all over until you need to give them more....small striving companies will do anything to keep you happy, wouldn't take much to replace a drill to a company like PC unless of course this is happening everywhere all day long and they are finding more replacements needing to go out than being sold.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

Wow, so I will never buy or recommend PC again.

Sadly, I think I'm going to have to jump off the bandwagon. We'll see what happens over the next couple of years with my current inventory and if I have any more failures.

Porter Cable was a well respected tool company years ago, however it has entered a DIY area of the market and if you talk to anyone 50+ years old with experience with the company will agree they are not the same as they once were......

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

I love my corded PC sanders those are great tools

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple corded drills and a router that just won't quit.....granted the drills don't see much action lately but are still good for loaners.......

Correct me if I'm wrong, (and I could likely find this out with a quick search but I'm lazy and it's getting late) but isn't PC part of SBD's tool empire? Somewhere in between Stanley and Dewalt? You would think that being higher on the totem pole than Stanley would mean your warranty isn't a joke. Is that warranty written on a piece of toilet paper that comes with the tool? Seems like that would be apt considering what the guarantee they give you is. 

10 minutes ago, sparky603 said:

Porter Cable was my go-to brand for drills and saws 25 years ago. Top-quality stuff. You'd have to pry my 345 Saw Boss from my cold, dead hands. They are a joke now, in comparison.

I agree, the name is carrying them along, young guys ask their elders around them what brand to buy and they say Porter cable because 25-30 years ago they used them and had great experiences with the brand.......not knowing they have dialed back the quality 10 fold....

Shit growing up watching new Yankee workshop all he really used was porter cable, it was the gold standard for wood working tools

Jimbo

I know man, if it was good enough for Norm it was good enough for me. That's all my grandpa had in his woodshop.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kruton said:

I know man, if it was good enough for Norm it was good enough for me. That's all my grandpa had in his woodshop.

And that's the real pitfall to outsourcing. So many tools were sent overseas for subpar manufacturing to save the company a dollar here. You know, pass the screwing on to your paying customers.

• Like 2

I think their tools are pretty good for the price point but the warranty is horrible. Milwaukee's reconditioned warranty is better.

Honestly, SBD needs to fix this. I have a B&D trimmer and I've considered buying some more B&D tools but now there's no way. I literally have no trust in any SBD warranty because of this single thread. If I have to start combing through warranty fine print, I'll just buy Milwaukee where I know the warranty...it's not worth saving a few bucks when you consider the warranty as the life of the tool. So say the tool lasts three years(minimum) paying even $60 more, that's just $20 a year.

I think their tools are pretty good for the price point but the warranty is horrible. Milwaukee's reconditioned warranty is better.

Honestly, SBD needs to fix this. I have a B&D trimmer and I've considered buying some more B&D tools but now there's no way. I literally have no trust in any SBD warranty because of this single thread. If I have to start combing through warranty fine print, I'll just buy Milwaukee where I know the warranty...it's not worth saving a few bucks when you consider the warranty as the life of the tool. So say the tool lasts three years(minimum) paying even $60 more, that's just $20 a year.

Yea you may pay a premium for a tool but that protection pays for itself... Look at Hilti

Jimbo