How do you treat your tools?

olletsocmit

I got my M18 Milwaukee Fuel drill & impact driver about 8 months ago or so. I used to baby the hell out of them, keep clean, be careful, etc... I have been noticing recently that's no longer the case haha. Are u guys still careful with them?

I have been doing drywall in my garage the last 2 weeks or so and realized my tools have never been so dirty! haha. Tons of dust. Bad to keep them out when doing this? Worries about all the dust?

496f974c4c3df7eb4eda3e1d7dee1d3e.jpg

I make my tools work as hard as I do. If I'm covered in oil and grease, so are they. The exceptions that I am really strict about not getting on the are water and manure or other caustics such as concentrated chlorine, formaldehyde, iodine, copper sulfate, and various industrial acids and acid solutions (nitric, sulfuric, etc).

• Like 3

Those tools look clean! I'm not too worried about them, I clean them up here and there, I've popped some open before to clean junk out of the housing that I've noticed building up in there. 

Haha yea that's a pic before I started drywall. I'll just hit them w/ a leaf blower or shop vac hahah

Any moving parts in pretty good at keeping lubed up with dry to touch lube... If I get some dirt caked on a surface, I'll clean it off, but other than that, I just expect my power tools to take some normal use without a problem. Mine have a little dust and scuffs but i grew up being much more careful with cordless than corded, and I still do that today.... Dad would let me have it if he caught me dropping a cordless drill or not putting it away overnight and it catching some dew or rain.. ..

My tools are clean only because I clean them...mainly because I don't like dirty hands. However, I don't baby my tools, I use them for the purpose they're intended. They have the standard nicks, cuts, scrapes, etc., from normal use but are otherwise in decent shape. Admit it, we like to beat on our tools because that's what we're supposed to do. But...we also like that "new tool" shine so we try to be cautious when necessary

I'm not perfect though, I've dropped tools from fair heights, I've slid tools across the floor, what the heck, everybody does it. Tools should be designed to take a little bit of a beating, when you're in the middle of working you're thinking about working, not about babying the tools.

• Like 1

When I got my m18 impacts I tried to baby them but getting scratches on then was inevitable. My 3/8 impact has a few scuffs and dings and the white paint has worn off but it really doesn't bother me too much. I'll clean the dirt, rust, grease off of them fairly regularly though. My hand tools are about the same too. My ratchet handles have a few scratches and scuffs on them but I keep them clean though. I can't stand grabbing a wrench or ratchet that has oil or grease on it. A lot of my tools have scratches or scuffs but that is just going to happen under normal use no matter how much you baby your tools. Here is what my m18 3/8 impact looks like now after about 7-8 months of use.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks clean to me. Maybe e replacement parts. If not I would just remove it, but it's your tools and you know what's best for you.

Yeah the pics are not showing it good it's white inside everywhere. If I blow it literally blows dust cloudier and over and over.

In regards to the piece I'm talking about see the picture below. I used a black sharpie to draw line near the V to follow
This is a little piece I need does anybody have an extra or I heard a lot of people don't like them they toss them...

82fddf8d45e07bf85eb909ee84ff8775.jpg

2 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Looks clean to me. Maybe e replacement parts. If not I would just remove it, but it's your tools and you know what's best for you.

Haha yeah looks pretty good. but on the same note, you are probably way more organized and careful with things, and do what you think you should. I don't think it's necessary to wear safety glasses when cooking in the kitchen, but who am I to stop someone from doing so

• Like 2