Alcohol @ tools

Framer joe

Well, i don't see a major issue with it. You can be responsible and consume a low amount of alcohol. For example, I'm a major firearms enthusiast and carry a firearm 24/7. I can still enjoy an alcoholic beverage occasionally while carrying. Does this make me irresponsible? No. I know where my limits are and what makes me impaired. 1-2 drinks in an hour have no effect on my motor skills or reaction times. If done in moderation and with respect to the individual, I don't see an issue with it.

• Like 2

Appreciate the input ,while i agree that you may know your limits ..and still be safe...(btw packing 24/7 is badass) i worry that people watching these shows may not use such judgement and only see two guys drinking beer handling tools and joking around...Alcohol on the jobsite and people coming in hungover is a problem.....imho

• Like 1

Appreciate the input ,while i agree that you may know your limits ..and still be safe...(btw packing 24/7 is badass) i worry that people watching these shows may not use such judgement and only see two guys drinking beer handling tools and joking around...Alcohol on the jobsite and people coming in hungover is a problem.....imho

I see your point. I do like to think that people who can not decide for themselves what is safe and what is not, usually deserve the consequences. I often say that we should remove all warning labels and safety warnings and let natural selection play out for a while.
  • Like 4

Speaking of warning labels and stupid, I just read one on a can of floor paint that stated; "Warning, slippery when wet". One has to wonder about a law suit that may have caused that to be added onto the label.

(The warning was in the application section of the label).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RickyMcGrath said:

Well, i don't see a major issue with it. You can be responsible and consume a low amount of alcohol. For example, I'm a major firearms enthusiast and carry a firearm 24/7. I can still enjoy an alcoholic beverage occasionally while carrying. Does this make me irresponsible? No. I know where my limits are and what makes me impaired. 1-2 drinks in an hour have no effect on my motor skills or reaction times. If done in moderation and with respect to the individual, I don't see an issue with it.

I think it is a grey area, and a touchy one at that, I have seen people get seriously injured from drinking ...let's say when they weren't supposed to be.....

I'm a non drinker so my opinion will be different than someone that does drink. I don't have nothing against people drinking but I do think there is a time and place....

I also have seen many people handle alcohol differently so because a drink or 2 an hour may be ok for 1 person it may not be for someone else. 

I worked in a huge machine shop fabrication shop for my entire career and there was zero tolerance for alcohol of any kind period, if it was ok in general to have a drink here and there responsibly it won't be as safe......I know I wouldn't want to be working with a guy running a 450 ton press with a bud light in one hand and the controls in the other...

• Like 4

Speaking of warning labels and stupid, I just read one on a can of floor paint that stated; "Warning, slippery when wet". One has to wonder about a law suit that may have caused that to be added onto the label.

Yup... a friend of mine is a Texas DPS officer and we talk about similar stuff frequently. He says when they change the SOP and put out memos about things that should not be done, the question that often arises is "what dumba$$ actually did that to facilitate the need to make it a rule to not do it?"
  • Like 3

Just now, RickyMcGrath said:

Yup... a friend of mine is a Texas DPS officer and we talk about similar stuff frequently. He says when they change the SOP and put out memos about things that should not be done, the question that often arises is "what dumba$$ actually did that to facilitate the need to make it a rule to not do it?"

Sort of like the guy that kicked his nail gun when he was angry, causing it to drive a nail into his foot. He lost his suit against the manufacturer partially due to all of the witness' asked to testify for the manufacturer calling him a f$%#ing idiot for doing it.

• Like 3

Which show? If your referring to tools on tap I'm a fan of that show, I like the laid back atmosphere and a little beer discussion as well, I don't think this promotes drinking while using tools it's just a cool little show they put on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I agree with you guys....plus " you cant fix stupid" ..i very much enjoy the TIA guys dan and eric tool reviews , i like ." real tool reviews" ..niether would advocate drinking around tools..drinking yes..both no...i think some shows are looking for more revenue ,big promo dollars and dont care about what they project.....feels like a touchy subject...im new to forums . .but been a framer for 34 years and deck co. 25 years...seen a lot of alcohol related severe injuries. ...thanks

• Like 2

Frankly it doesn't bother me at all. If a mistake is made the only people to be affected are the ones participating. It's not like they're producing commercial grade bombs and might take out the neighborhood. If they hurt themselves, it's hilarious IMO. 

Survival of the fittest no longer exists, we need more of this stuff honestly. Maybe they'll do an episode on testing wood chippers...

• Like 2

Doesn't bother me at all. I know not to drink a 6 pack and start welding or grinding. I also know I can handle drinking a light beer or two while building a deck on a summer afternoon. I've never drank on a jobsite, especially not a commercial jobsite. Safety on the clock is my top priority, and it spills over into my personal life. A beer or two in your free time doesn't cut into safety too much, especially when building in your free time, for me at least, tends to be a lot slower and more casual than a paid job lol. I imagine the type of people who watch YouTube shows about tools tend to be experienced and have safety engrained into them by professional work anyway. 

• Like 3

Being in the safety business I can tell you I see a lot of accident where people get everything from a simple cut to being crushed to death.  Most accidents happen when people take short cut's. Either because they are in a hurry, whether it's a boss rushing them or themselves.  There's a particular category or accidents from inexperienced workers and then workers that have been performing the task for a long time, usually a foreman or boss from my experience.  The two biggest enemies of working safe is complacency and getting in a hurry.  Just about every time I've been injured has been because I didn't take the time to think the job thru. Easy mistakes caused me to do stupid stuff. I try to practice what I preach, but we all need reminders along the way. I would rather a co-worker remind me to put safety glasses on or to lock and tag out an electrical circuit than give me a ride to a hospital or worse, have to call 911.

• Like 3

Being in the safety business I can tell you I see a lot of accident where people get everything from a simple cut to being crushed to death.  Most accidents happen when people take short cut's. Either because they are in a hurry, whether it's a boss rushing them or themselves.  There's a particular category or accidents from inexperienced workers and then workers that have been performing the task for a long time, usually a foreman or boss from my experience.  The two biggest enemies of working safe is complacency and getting in a hurry.  Just about every time I've been injured has been because I didn't take the time to think the job thru. Easy mistakes caused me to do stupid stuff. I try to practice what I preach, but we all need reminders along the way. I would rather a co-worker remind me to put safety glasses on or to lock and tag out an electrical circuit than give me a ride to a hospital or worse, have to call 911.

After we patch you up you might make it to our wall of shame lol I kid but I've seen some pretty bad stuff over the years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Strangest one I remember was when a young man was using a large drill with a 3 foot piece of drill steel. The drill steel bent, came out of the drill and impaled the guy thru his left side. He walked about 200 feet when I found him. Acted like it was no big deal, of course he was in shock so I wrapped him, treated for shock and transported to an ambulance.  He lost 3 feet of his intestines and was off work for 8 months.  No alcohol or drugs were involved as far as I know, but he just wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. Were all guilty of that.

44 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I'm almost 22 and far as I know I have never had any alcohol. I may have had it cooked in food but other than that I haven't had any.

Haven't found it to be anything special myself. Maybe haven't found my drink of choice yet LOL  I'm 29, I've had a few here and there, bought a 6 pack once, stuck it in the basement fridge, forgot about it for couple months lol

My wife likes her occasional glass of wine tho....

• Like 3

I keep saying that I would not make a good alcoholic because I would forget to drink.

In all seriousness though, I personally prefer not to see it on the job, unless it's the end of the day, the tools are packed, and work has stopped.

• Like 3