Alcohol @ tools

Framer joe

On 12/4/2016 at 9:20 PM, Jronman said:

I'm almost 22 and far as I know I have never had any alcohol. I may have had it cooked in food but other than that I haven't had any.

I was 21 before I did any partying at all really. 

Now I'm 28, and I live in a van down by the river. 

• Like 3

For me personally, drinking and power tools don't mix.  

I know one guy that knew his limits, he was transported to the ER and the took off what was left of his right index finger.  He probably knew his limits, then after a while he granted an extension to those limits.

Table saw threw a piece of wood back at him.  Hit his knuckle so hard that the joint disappeared.  Never touched the blade.

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't do it as I am a safety instructor on the side, and best practice is not to (for any activity that requires attention), but if you can be responsible and stay with in moderation (as said earlier 1 drink and hour) then it can be done

But for a talk show I don't see an issue but agree it gives the wrong interpretation.

I started watching these guys a while ago and the more I think about it the more I really think the show is not in any way provide a positive spot towards alcohol and using tools in the workplace or the wood shop. I love to make punch jokes about drinking but truthfully if I have two beers in the course of two weeks I am truly amazed. Truthfully, of course alcohol has no place at the workplace. I remember when I had to work weekends and I'd go to Applebee's or some other restaurant during a weekday for lunch and there would be suits having "cocktails" and I used to think...geez that's unprofessional and could t wrap my head around going back to work with alcohol on my breath! But this show is not like that. It's a general discussion amongst colleagues and is by the very title...."Tools on Tap" designed to be a relaxed discussion about tools while in the safety of a home and not hanging off of scaffolding 120' in the air or running a large cabinet saw in a noisy shop, having a cold tap! I work at a job where I'm sized up and criticized daily and am used to being a true professional at all times, even when off duty....you never know who's watching! But I don't think the nature of this show is a problem but yes, work is work and the consumption of alcohol or drugs, even prescribed drugs used according to prescription is never safe.

i know it's an old post but just watched another episode and was like....nah...this is pretty darn good!

• Like 3

On 2016-12-08 at 5:07 AM, builditguy said:

For me personally, drinking and power tools don't mix.  

I know one guy that knew his limits, he was transported to the ER and the took off what was left of his right index finger.  He probably knew his limits, then after a while he granted an extension to those limits.

Table saw threw a piece of wood back at him.  Hit his knuckle so hard that the joint disappeared.  Never touched the blade.

Bit of an extreme example. A table saw will kill you stone sober. Operating one inebriated is like driving drunk; an accident waiting to happen. Table saws demand your complete attention and a safety-first mentality at the best of times. Sadly, enough tradesmen seem to be high-functioning alcoholics or drug addicts that this story doesn't surprise me in the least. 

• Like 1

it is only common sense that drinking and power tools don't mix, now before anyone gets their panties in a knot having a cold beer while operating their impact driver as they are fastening screws to a couple deck boards is different than opening your 17th beer while trying to cut 1/8" strips off of a warped and twisted 3" x 9" oak board on your unstable table saw....the fellas in the youtube video are just chatting about tools more so than sucking back a couple 12 packs while demonstrating highly dangerous power tools.

• Like 4

I would agree with you.  An impact is nothing close to a spinning blade.  And you are right about the guys in the video.  

I also agree that a table saw is dangerous if you are sober.  The guy that lost a finger wasn't really qualified to run a table saw, in my opinion.  Sober that is.  In that case, he was cutting a board the wrong way.  If he had been sober, maybe he wouldn't have done it.  Impaired, he might have thought it was a good idea.

Either way, he was impaired and now he can only count to 9.

Just my opinion.  Other people can do what they want.  If you're working for me, no alcohol.  Or any other drug for that matter.

Now that I've said that, it brings up another issue.  Prescription drugs.  I've know alot of guys that require pain killers daily.  Are they impaired?  I think so.  What about marijuana?  Obvious impairment, but if they have a prescription?

I think this will continue to be a bigger problem.  Alcohol is an easy one because you can smell it.   The guy that takes 4 Vicodin a day and gets to the point he lives his life on them, it tougher to spot.

Not to hijack a thread.  I'm going to move on from this one.

Impaired regardless of whether or not there's an unintelligible scribbled note from a doctor saying you are supposed to take them. D&A policy on basically all commercial sites I've worked on is 0 tolerance and prescription opioids are a no-go if you want to run basically anything. 

if someone NEEDS a pain killer they shouldn't be taking the pain killer because they shouldn't be fixing the pain they should be fixing the cause of the pain. Sure if someone temporarily needs a pain killer they can go a route that doesn't involve medical drugs. I'm sure there's an all natural route that has no bad side effects.

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

if someone NEEDS a pain killer they shouldn't be taking the pain killer because they shouldn't be fixing the pain they should be fixing the cause of the pain. Sure if someone temporarily needs a pain killer they can go a route that doesn't involve medical drugs. I'm sure there's an all natural route that has no bad side effects.

Unfortunately you can't always fix the pain... I have a couple of issues that result in chronic pain pretty much 24/7. I generally tough it out, and I detest taking opiods. The non prescription items I take only somewhat control the issues and do not remove the pain itself. When the pain levels advance to a point where I can't see or think straight, I sit down and drink a beer (or two...). It takes the edge off, but again, does not kill the pain entirely.

This is something that can only truly be understood when you enter into that twilight zone where the pain never completely leaves you alone, where the doctors tell you that they have no way of curing the issues and that all they can do is manage them... Some people give in and go for the drugs, and others reach a point where they off themselves (had a neighbor do that once).

Again, it is unfortunate, but you can't always cure the problem that is causing the pain.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you can't always fix the pain... I have a couple of issues that result in chronic pain pretty much 24/7. I generally tough it out, and I detest taking opiods. The non prescription items I take only somewhat control the issues and do not remove the pain itself. When the pain levels advance to a point where I can't see or think straight, I sit down and drink a beer (or two...). It takes the edge off, but again, does not kill the pain entirely.

This is something that can only truly be understood when you enter into that twilight zone where the pain never completely leaves you alone, where the doctors tell you that they have no way of curing the issues and that all they can do is manage them... Some people give in and go for the drugs, and others reach a point where they off themselves (had a neighbor do that once).

Again, it is unfortunate, but you can't always cure the problem that is causing the pain.

Yea that's a bummer dude! Millions of people love day to day with chronic pain conditions that sometimes the fix doesn't justify the results of the fix if that makes sense, sometimes a surgery to fix a pain can open a whole new can of worms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/4/2016 at 11:54 AM, JMG said:

Speaking of warning labels and stupid, I just read one on a can of floor paint that stated; "Warning, slippery when wet". One has to wonder about a law suit that may have caused that to be added onto the label.

(The warning was in the application section of the label).

Any Floor Paint that isn't anti skid is slippery when wet Esp Oil paint. And yes there was a lawsuit lol

I am guilty of having a beer or two while working around the house and have been drinking in a few of my youtube videos *slaps hand* and don't see anything wrong with it. I don't drink 'at work', and I would never get shit faced and operate my table saw. But there is nothing quite like a cold beer on a hot day while working in the garden or on the house.

On 12/15/2016 at 6:43 PM, JimboS1ice said:

Yea that's a bummer dude! Millions of people love day to day with chronic pain conditions that sometimes the fix doesn't justify the results of the fix if that makes sense, sometimes a surgery to fix a pain can open a whole new can of worms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live with chronic pain, 14 operations to rebuild my left foot 3 more to try to cut nerves in the foot I agree I live with pain 24/7 one of the operations was a partial amputation and left me with phantom pain as well....

19 hours ago, comp56 said:

I live with chronic pain, 14 operations to rebuild my left foot 3 more to try to cut nerves in the foot I agree I live with pain 24/7 one of the operations was a partial amputation and left me with phantom pain as well....

Damn Comp. I don't think I'd have gone through all of that myself, I'm a totally pussy about pain and would have likely chosen the prosthetic route.