DeWalt 20v Max brushless D-handle rotary hammer.

RickyMcGrath

I hadn't even seen the dch293 was released but that should be a more capable drill with 3.5j of impact energy.  It also has a bare tool price of $380 where the dch133 has 2.6j and is only $190 bare.  But I was more comparing it to the dch273 which is a brushless 1" with 2.1 joules for $290 or a milwaukee 2712 ($300bare) and 2713 ($280bare) which are similar in power.  An arguement could be made either way as to whether a d-handle or compact is better.  But I think the size rating are kind of goofy on rotary drills.  I have a m18 2712 which is a 1" but I would say it's probably best suited drilling 3/8" to 1/2" holes.  I've done 5/8" and 3/4" holes but it really drains a 5.0 battery like 2 10" deep holes per charge.

• Like 1

3.5j from a 20v?!!! Man I never would have guessed that possible. That's the same rating as the flexvolt version. The impact mechanism is also claimed to be designed by Germans. 

Perhaps I'll not be in the market for the flexvolt version after-all. This appears to have all the features as well, proper AVT, E-Clutch, Dust extraction ready...hmmm. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

8A1799CD-CCBE-4D0F-82BC-ABB1300CA98C.jpg 

Well I found one minor hiccup about it, no drill without hammer functionality. I don't use that often but at times it's nice to start a hole in tile and such. 

On the bright side, indexed depth guide and a belt clip. 

A belt clip? With something that heavy, you gotta be proud of your plumber's crack...

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

3.5j from a 20v?!!! Man I never would have guessed that possible. That's the same rating as the flexvolt version. The impact mechanism is also claimed to be designed by Germans. 

The m18 fuel 1-1/8 SDS plus has 3.3ft-lb, and the sds max has 5.1ft-lb impact energy.  The 3.5J impact energy from the dewalt above comes out to 2.6ft-lb which is decent but not anything special.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grumpy MSG said:

A belt clip? With something that heavy, you gotta be proud of your plumber's crack...

When you're on a ladder and need to hook it to a tool belt it's indispensable. I use a bulldog as my daily driver and the rafter hook is nice and all but a pathetic feature to hang from a belt.  

18 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

The m18 fuel 1-1/8 SDS plus has 3.3ft-lb, and the sds max has 5.1ft-lb impact energy.  The 3.5J impact energy from the dewalt above comes out to 2.6ft-lb which is decent but not anything special.

I had no idea they made cordless SDS of that size though in another category (15lbs good lawd), thanks for letting me know, don't watch the red line very vigilantly. I base my opinion of whats good or bad off of my bulldog which is 2ft/lbs as a corded unit. Anything at 18/20v that can outperform that is damn good to me, especially considering the earlier models of 20v sds were only pushing 1.7lbs. I hate busting out a cord to drill a few holes or furring out a wall, and this is a great solution. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Thanks for sharing that, I've been looking at these but never noticed the ft lbs vs joules. I was just looking at the numbers and thought they were all pretty much the same