"New" old battery - Problem?

mdd

I just received a new DCD795 drill, purchased through Amazon.

While opening the box, inspecting things, ohhing and ahhing (first new drill since my 14.4v), I noticed the batteries and drill are dated 2014.

Now, the drill doesn't bother me too much as it's clearly unused, and given the years of use from my 14.4, feel it will serve me for a number of years. The batteries, on the other hand, I do question. Would a two year old, never used battery, purchased new, bother anyone here? How much life/run time do you think it's lost sitting in the box?

Any thoughts on this are welcome.

Thanks.

Lions will still self discharge but even with 1/2 a charge companies do you should be ok from under voltage. The only company I heard having issues with under voltage were old Makita lxt packs and that only happened it you ran them down to empty.

I have well used batteries from 2014.... I plan to well use em for years to come ?.  Agreed keep your receipt or just know how to look up you purchase history from Amazon because DeWalt definitely uses the date code otherwise.

2 hours ago, DR99 said:

Lions will still self discharge but even with 1/2 a charge companies do you should be ok from under voltage. The only company I heard having issues with under voltage were old Makita lxt packs and that only happened it you ran them down to empty.

Lions will self destruct upon the opening kick off. Thankfully their season is over

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jronman said:

oh you were talking about sports haha. literally thought you were talking about batteries.

I knew what you ment, but yes batteries can explode, no you don't have to handle them like eggs but ask any Samsung phone owner if they truly feel safe.?

Thanks for the input. Interesting, I expected more red flags on this, especially a two year old battery sold as new. No problem saving the receipt, as I was taught from an early age to save all my receipts. I wouldn't be surpprised if I still have receipts from toilet paper dating back decades.

Thanks again.

• Like 1