Solve my dilemma. Which tools to keep, which to return

rdst_1

I was hunting for my first set of power tools this December. My friend was gonna carry these for me from Canada to India.

I ordered the Dewalt DCK 299M2 for CAD 282 and DCG412P2 for CAD 225.

The pricing on the drill and impact kit was a steal and I ordered the Grinder kit just for the great pricing it offers for 2x5Ah batteries and the Dewalt fast charger.

However the products didn't ship out even till 10th of January and Amazon didn't have an ETA that they could provide me. So I started looking for alternatives just in case Amazon don't ship my order in time for my friend's flight.

Ended up ordering Bosch combo kit of HDS-183 and IDH- 182 with a bonus bare tool (Recip saw) free for CAD 383. Also ordered a spare charger and 4Ah battery for CAD 113.

MHC overnighted this package to my friend's house and I decided to cancel my previous Dewalt order with Amazon.

For some reason or other, I kept postponing the cancellation and now I have received the mail from Amazon that my order will be delivered before Jan 26.

The price for both orders is around CAD 500.

The Dewalt order has an extra 5Ah battery and a much better Drill and Impact.

The Bosch order has the Recip saw that I would use a lot more than the Dewalt Angle grinder.

Which set, do you guys think I should keep?

I bought that DCK299M2 Boxing Day for $250 despite already having that kit because it's stupid cheap at that price. Can easily split it up and sell pieces for $350+ total. I'll likely gift it to a friend. It's a fantastic kit. Grinder kit is less of a deal but not bad. I'd stick with Dewalt on this one. 

• Like 1

My heart also says to go for Dewalt. The DCD996 and DCF887 are both quite superior to the Bosch counterparts.
I had ordered it on Boxing Day too for $250. I had been eyeing it for a few days and would have bought it for $334 as well but like you said, at $250, it was a no brainer.
The recip saw would have been used a lot at the farm for pruning and other purposes and that's the only reason that Bosch is still in contention for me.

If you don't mind me asking, are there some known issues on DCD996 and DCF887 that my friend could check for. I don't want him to carry them all the way to India and then they turn out to be a lemon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rdst_1 said:

If you don't mind me asking, are there some known issues on DCD996 and DCF887 that my friend could check for. I don't want him to carry them all the way to India and then they turn out to be a lemon.

There is a known issue with the battery fuel gauges especialy with 2013-2014 versions where the would fail to display the correct charge remaining but the packs still work fine but it appears that is solved, unfortunatly there is no why to know until it happens.  

The switch sometimes sticks on the 996, sometimes to go from 2-1 you need to go up to 3 down to 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This one I have seen on some reviews. It's an irritating issue but doesn't hamper the performance I think, so maybe I can live with it.
Any known issues with the chuck?

Also is there some testing that I can ask my friend to do so as to determine the tools are in perfect working condition.

1 hour ago, rdst_1 said:

Any known issues with the chuck?

I have no first hand experience with this model however I have the DCD780, DCD985, and DCD791 ALL the chucks work flawlessly, however my uncle has a DCD790 and it won't hold a drill bit for more than a few holes without the bit falling out.

Have your friend run 20-30 holes with it to ensure a good lock on the chuck.

My experience with DeWalt Impacts is nothing but positive going back around 10 years with their first Li-ion 18v model to currently owning 2 DCF887s and a DCF886.....

• Like 1

Seems as though everyone is saying the DeWALT and I would agree. More power on both tools, 3 speed drill vs 2 speed, undervalued mode 1 on the impact, and 3 mode 60 lumen light on drill.

Maybe I try to show you the advantages of the Bosch. 

#1 It's German nuff said

#2 the impact is not only an impact driver but also an impact wrench.

#3 hammer drill is more compact

Thanks for the responses guys.
I have decided to stick with Dewalt due to the crazy deal I got on the DCK299M2 kit.
I have also decided to return the Angle Grinder kit and ordered the 4Ah-2 pack instead and save around $80. I wanted to order the 2Ah-2 pack but the price was same for both so went with the 4Ah despite the heavier weight.

With my mediocre usage, I don't think I would be able to run out even one 4Ah battery on one tool in a day, but since shipping batteries is such a PITA these days, I decided to take advantage of the fact that my friend is flying down and grab an extra pair of batteries now, even if I don't need them today.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wildroamer said:

The switch is a non-issue, in my opinion. Does anyone here who actually uses the 996 have problems with it? Mine was a bit clunky at first, but after a couple days of of solid work with it, smooth like butter.

Nope. Smooth as buttah 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would have chosen Bosch but I'm not a huge fan of either I have makita 1/2 drill and impact driver but now upgraded to Hilti which in my opinion is the best there is but also very most expensive but you get 20 year wear and tear warranty nobody can beat that and you can pay to fix it at a set price or get a new one for like 25% cost and has a great free repair warranty as well and all the gears are steel as well as the chucks and are super strong not the lightest but are a tool of big company professionals not really a tool for the DIYer and over kill for me but I just love high end tools the rest of my power tools are snap on or matco I could have saved so much getting big box pro brand tools and get by just as goofed but I love my power tools.

• Like 1

I would have chosen Bosch but I'm not a huge fan of either I have makita 1/2 drill and impact driver but now upgraded to Hilti which in my opinion is the best there is but also very most expensive but you get 20 year wear and tear warranty nobody can beat that and you can pay to fix it at a set price or get a new one for like 25% cost and has a great free repair warranty as well and all the gears are steel as well as the chucks and are super strong not the lightest but are a tool of big company professionals not really a tool for the DIYer and over kill for me but I just love high end tools the rest of my power tools are snap on or matco I could have saved so much getting big box pro brand tools and get by just as goofed but I love my power tools.

At one point during my buying research, even I was enamored by Hilti. In the chat that I had with their Canada Support, they even guaranteed International Warranty Support in India. But the price tag of $579 plus tax and me not being a professional who would use them day in and day out made me go with the cheaper yet established option.

On 1/18/2017 at 3:17 PM, rdst_1 said:

Thanks for the responses guys.
I have decided to stick with Dewalt due to the crazy deal I got on the DCK299M2 kit.
I have also decided to return the Angle Grinder kit and ordered the 4Ah-2 pack instead and save around $80. I wanted to order the 2Ah-2 pack but the price was same for both so went with the 4Ah despite the heavier weight.

With my mediocre usage, I don't think I would be able to run out even one 4Ah battery on one tool in a day, but since shipping batteries is such a PITA these days, I decided to take advantage of the fact that my friend is flying down and grab an extra pair of batteries now, even if I don't need them today.

You have chosen well

• Like 1

On 1/31/2017 at 3:39 PM, DerekTheToolGuy said:

If you really loved tools you'd have those big box pro brand tools as well......:p