3/8 drive crapsman

CATERPILLAR

I bought a Chinese craftsman 10 piece set with a ratchet for $10 awhile back. I am missing the forward and reverse switch on a proto ratchet and though to modify and break the one on the craftsman and it ended up not working so yesterday I take the ratchet into sears and they replace it with a refurbished usa made 3/8 I was pretty damn happy ? now I can't even put it back in the Chinese set ?? But serious

20170131_184003.jpg

20170131_184007.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Educated guess haha. I have a few -v- wrenches, they feel solid as frig. I'm not positive but I believe they're made by Armstrong. 

? I am kind of confused  Armstrong did they make any for them I think plomb /proto and I think snap on back in the day

12 hours ago, CATERPILLAR said:

? I am kind of confused  Armstrong did they make any for them I think plomb /proto and I think snap on back in the day

LOTS of companies have made stuff for Craftsman back in the 30's and 40's you had some stuff made by Snap-On (C series stuff) and Plomb (Circle U), but for all of modern history (after WWII) the bulk of Craftsman mechanics tools (including the V series) were made by Moore Drop Forge. MDF was eventually purchased by a company called Easco in 1967 or 68. Easco was the bought by Danaher in the 1980's, and was eventually rolled into Apex. So in other words, the same company held the Craftsman mechanic tool contract from the late 40's until today.

Another major Craftsman supplier was Western Forge. They made most of the pliers, screwdrivers, chisels, gear pullers, and other odds & ends for decades. You'll notice a WF stamped on these tools. WF was purchased by ideal a couple years back. 

Armstrong has supplied some tools over the years, but it's been mostly wrenches and even then, mostly for the Industrial line. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2017 at 11:39 AM, CATERPILLAR said:

Yes how did u know 

That is not an original V it should be like a VF or 2 digit the -V- has an oil port and different bottom plate more like a silver circle. Still a good ratchet the new Chinese are straight up crappola. I have a -V- set in original case and it's complete someone gave me it's 3/8 and 1/4 SAE it's in good shape but never use SAE. I heard Sears just swaps out ratchets now with refurbs bet some guys can get very lucky, I have a -V- rhft ratchet that I want to take in to see what I get lol but won't take anything less than a fine tooth ratchet. A lot of people love the craftsman rhft I paid $1 for mine along with 4 others same price 1 was a 1/2 flex head they all just take up space I just bought a whole Bluepoint 100pc socket set for $100 and it's my road kit. I don't see the hype in craftsman V tools I think they are no different in quality or strength than the danaher ones I've used both very hard before they just look different slightly I might trade off my whole craftsman USA collection I have tons of sockets I paid $5 a small shoe box for at my local pawn I have many many sockets I got them everywhere it seems even find them in odd places lol I'd say I have 2000 of them.

• Like 2