Homemade Dust Collection Diverter

rrmccabe

So I have a need for Y fitting/diverter/blast gate.

I have not found anything I liked so decided to build one.

I have a Festool dust Extractor that sits next to my Festool Kapex miter saw. The dust extractor has a mini cyclone on it and I use it for sanding, track saw, miter and the new domino.

I get tired of switching hoses around and to be honest, if I have a 2" cut to make on the miter saw I will just let the dust fly instead of switching the %$^&@ hose from something else!

When you build something like this you have to keep flow in mind of course. I have seen guys build square boxes which I cant imagine works very well.

So I built this which will wall mount next to the Kapex.

20170201_155254.jpg

So what about flow you ask?? Well here is a look at the inside :)

20170201_155216.jpg

And here is how I did it. Could not have been simpler. I cut 18 3" x 3" squares of plywood and drilled a 1 1/2" hole in the center.

20170201_083347.jpg

Then I glued them together being sure to line up the center hole. I did this in a couple steps to mantain the center easier.

20170201_083353.jpg

After truing them up on the band saw  I used the miter saw to make a 15 degree slice on each side.

20170201_114537.jpg

Then glued them together and let them dry. One that was done I cut top and bottom off  and give them a nice sand to prep all six sides

20170201_115018.jpg

And then added a 1/4 face to the front and back to capture and hold a piece of UHMW in place for the blast gate.  I have not drilled the holes in the bottom as I have not decided what to use for a 2" nipple to attach the two Festool hoses.  I will add something to the end of the UHMW to act as a handle and stop when I do that.

20170201_155228.jpg

Was pretty pleased about the outcome and to be honest it did not take long to do.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ohiostatebuckeyefan said:

Looks good.  How is it performing?  

I have no idea yet.  I am ordering another hose from Bob Marino Tools and a couple replacement ends so I can cut the hose in half  and use the replacement ends to make two hoses.

So will be next week before I have the hose.

• Like 1

Just now, rrmccabe said:

I have no idea yet.  I am ordering another hose from Bob Marino Tools and a couple replacement ends so I can cut the hose in half  and use the replacement ends to make two hoses.

So will be next week before I have the hose.

OK.  Was just curious.  Looks like it should work great.

3 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

So I have a need for Y fitting/diverter/blast gate.

I have not found anything I liked so decided to build one.

I have a Festool dust Extractor that sits next to my Festool Kapex miter saw. The dust extractor has a mini cyclone on it and I use it for sanding, track saw, miter and the new domino.

I get tired of switching hoses around and to be honest, if I have a 2" cut to make on the miter saw I will just let the dust fly instead of switching the %$^&@ hose from something else!

When you build something like this you have to keep flow in mind of course. I have seen guys build square boxes which I cant imagine works very well.

So I built this which will wall mount next to the Kapex.

20170201_155254.jpg

So what about flow you ask?? Well here is a look at the inside :)

20170201_155216.jpg

And here is how I did it. Could not have been simpler. I cut 18 3" x 3" squares of plywood and drilled a 1 1/2" hole in the center.

20170201_083347.jpg

Then I glued them together being sure to line up the center hole. I did this in a couple steps to mantain the center easier.

20170201_083353.jpg

After truing them up on the band saw  I used the miter saw to make a 15 degree slice on each side.

20170201_114537.jpg

Then glued them together and let them dry. One that was done I cut top and bottom off  and give them a nice sand to prep all six sides

20170201_115018.jpg

And then added a 1/4 face to the front and back to capture and hold a piece of UHMW in place for the blast gate.  I have not drilled the holes in the bottom as I have not decided what to use for a 2" nipple to attach the two Festool hoses.  I will add something to the end of the UHMW to act as a handle and stop when I do that.

20170201_155228.jpg

Was pretty pleased about the outcome and to be honest it did not take long to do.

Insane craftsmanship dude.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Jim, what kind of pictures are you looking for?

Finished it today. Probably put a coat of wipe on poly on it to protect it.

I was going to find 2" OD tube of some sort to slide the hose over on the bottom but got thinking on the CT vac it goes inside. So I just replaced my bottom piece with a thicker chunk of stock and drilled two larger holes in it and the hose slides right in.

Added wood handles on the ends of the UHMW slide and trimmed the slide so pushing the slide all the way in aligns the blast gate hole, either way you push

So waiting on hose now.20170202_101319.jpg

@Jronman these Festool dust extractors have plenty power for what I am using them for. As a matter of fact they have variable speed and you have to turn them down for sanding or the pad suctions to the surface of what you are working on.

I mounted it to wall and cut down one of my Festool hoses (made me cringe). So when the new fittings get here I can finish it up.

Picture below just has the hose to miter saw stuck in there to check fit.

20170202_113816.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Well I will save it for something like this which I hope is in the near future.:D

https://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XGK030105H&CatId={7F6C8978-92E8-4902-9A37-D8A254EDF4FC}

if you had 2 of the Oneida's you could not only vac dust from across the room you could probably vac up your tools as well. I could imagine seeing a table saw being squeezed through the hose.

I cut all my boards short and then glue them together to make them long. Easier on the back ;D

The miter is on a slide and pulls out and locks. I have fastcap rails that clip onto FastCap Kapex adapters on the saw.  On outbound ends I have bench mount adapters.

I dont put rails on that often as it planes with the bench its mounted on. But when I need them, it takes about 60 seconds to install rails. They are setup with laser and no adjustment needed.

20140514_083630.jpg

20140514_184159.jpg

• Like 1

Well a miter saw takes a lot of horizontal space and then you pile stuff on it. So I figure it takes less time to clip on two rails than clean off one. LOL

Fastcap has some nice miter setups. If I did more stuff outside I would have one on wheels.

BTW, the Ridgid belt sander/oscillating sander is on the same slide setup. So it comes out too.