Milwaukee Charger Fail/Repair Needed - on #3

evh

I am on my third Milwaukee M12/M18 model 48-59-1812 charger.  I realize the manual says no serviceable parts.  I have taken them apart and I don't see any blow resistors, capacitors, etc.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Is there a common failure in these?  Thanks.

't 

Thanks for the quick reply Daniel.  The two broken ones are both out of warranty.  Never been dropped.  I am a mechanic and use them quite a bit.  All are in good visual condition.  Both simply stopped working after a few years of use.  I did see some sell the broken ones on eBay.  So I wonder if:

1. Someone knows how to fix them.

2. People need them for the plastic cases.

Again, I am hoping someone knows how to fix them, or these will end up on eBay as well.

7 hours ago, evh said:

I am on my third Milwaukee M12/M18 model 48-59-1812 charger.  I realize the manual says no serviceable parts.  I have taken them apart and I don't see any blow resistors, capacitors, etc.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Is there a common failure in these?  Thanks.

't 

From what I know about those and when I lived in oklahoma is that, the city (Edmond) that I lived in had very dirty power as in their power fluctuated consistently if you plugged them directly into the wall there isn't a point where the electricity is filtered and it fluctuations will go directly into whatever is plugged in to the outlet. Now if you're using a surge protector a proper one that works and isnt 5 years old then you've just got bad luck.

I haven't seen or heard of a common failure. Is there a power indication? Does it recognize the battery but doesn't charge? It realistically could be anything on the board, most likely a transistor. You could plug it in while it's open and see if you have anything drawing excess heat. If the part hasn't had it's number rubbed off, you should be able to buy it and get to soldering.

If you find a dead short, you're going to have to trace that entire line the short is on because you may find several bad components.

Between myself and the guys at work, there are a dozen or so chargers that are used on a daily basis for some years no, never had a problem with any of them. 

I use the m12/m18 rapid charge mothership station and love it and haven't used a standard charger since buying it.

Can't help you with any repair with these things, good luck tho!

13 hours ago, evh said:

Thanks everyone for your input.  I checked eBay and it looks like they sell used all day long for < $20.  I think this one is going in the trash.

Yeah, they're not worth putting in the time. If it was the rapid charger I'd give it a go, but not the regular charger.

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Burnt two of them up today....

Dirty power from a generator. 

We had a 200 Maxstar welder running off a generator and the two Milwaukee Rapid Chargers. As soon. As we went to weld you could hear a pop in the chargers. 

Power fluctuation is not good for them.. They should have a circuit protector built in if thwy are that delicate. Especially for construction sites.