Jronviews #1- DeWALT DCS520T1 Flexvolt Track Saw

Jronman

Heres my review of the DeWALT DCS520T1 Flexvolt Track Saw.

I finally got to use  my flexvolt track saw. First time I have used a track saw. I've only seen one used one time in person. Any other time has been from videos

Many may not like this unit. I could understand but I think it does a fine job. I was satisfied with how it performed. In OSB the cut quality was great even with the stock blade. I looked at the edge to check for tear out and I didn't notice any on the good piece. The cutoff piece I did notice had some tear out. I expected it would have some because there is no tear out deal for the cutoff piece.

Seemed like it had enough power at least for what I used it for. Will have to see how it performs on a 2x oak top I will be making soon. 

The plunge mechanism seemed comfortable and easy to activate.

Dust collection does help with dust but could use some improvement. The rotating dust port is a bit stiff when rotating. It could be a bit looser in my opinion. 

The saw slides on the rails well enough without needing to use wax. I would guess wax would help but I feel it is not needed.  The kick back feature works but I don'y feel as though it is needed. 

The dual sided feature on the rails is an advantage over other rails but also a disadvantage. You can use either side of the track but since both sides of the saw have the tear out strip it is a bit harder to square up the track. I use a combination square which is able to avoid the tear out strip and go along the metal edge. I don't see a t square or a rafter square working to square these rails because I don't see how they could avoid the tear out strip. Some may suggest using the Festool track instead. Might be worth try.

The rail clamps work as expected. I find them to be a great clamp for tracks because they have a "quick grip" style clamping mechanism.

For how I hold the saw, The battery does not get in the way.

I like that this unit is cordless because you only have to worry about one hose instead of both a hose and a cord. 

pros- cut quality, cordless, comfortable to use, quiet, track clamps with the "quick grip" style mechanism, and powerful

cons- dust collection, lacking a few features other premium units have like angle detents, scoring mode, off cut tear out guard, and toolless rail alignment knobs. rails are maybe not as good as other premium brands.

Is this a saw I would recommend? Yes. Power and cut quality on the good piece is where it shines. Most other features are average. 

Other premium units may have a slight edge in the features department but for a track saw this makes the cut.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jronman said:

Have you gotten a chance to try it out?

It seems like it doesn't get as much credit for what its worth. Maybe because its not a Festool or Makita.

I've never used it but I've never heard anything bad about the corded one. I have a Festool TS55 REQ and the HKC55 so I'm all set with track saws.

9 hours ago, Jronman said:

Have you gotten a chance to try it out?

It seems like it doesn't get as much credit for what its worth. Maybe because its not a Festool or Makita.

I've never used it so I can't say to much. But at least at the moment I find a cordless track saw a nice idea but sort of odd. when you use a track saw it is almost always connected to a vacuum which requires a power connection for the auto on off function and the cordless track saw doesn't seem to have Bluetooth functionality or anything to solve this problem in the future. Secondly when you are already connected to a vacuum for extraction ( which isnt cordless powered anyway) I don't really see much gain in the saw being cordless. I see why the made it because it is a relatively minor development on the circular saw( I.e cheap to develop) but at the same time I can't see any point in replacing the Makita for a tool that just seems to be cordless for the sake of it without creating many benefits, but which creates a major negative in terms of auto on/off extraction not working

Actually, I find that I am constantly using the track saw when dust collection is not necessary. For instance when set up outside. That's why the festool bag for its track saw is so good, it catches dust but no cords. I find the hardest thing about the track saw is dealing with the cords and will only use the tethers when I have to. 

1 hour ago, zinzander said:

I've never used it so I can't say to much. But at least at the moment I find a cordless track saw a nice idea but sort of odd. when you use a track saw it is almost always connected to a vacuum which requires a power connection for the auto on off function and the cordless track saw doesn't seem to have Bluetooth functionality or anything to solve this problem in the future. Secondly when you are already connected to a vacuum for extraction ( which isnt cordless powered anyway) I don't really see much gain in the saw being cordless. I see why the made it because it is a relatively minor development on the circular saw( I.e cheap to develop) but at the same time I can't see any point in replacing the Makita for a tool that just seems to be cordless for the sake of it without creating many benefits, but which creates a major negative in terms of auto on/off extraction not working

You can get cordless vacuums, they're awesome. But not really the point. 

I'll pick up one of these saws soon, I don't always use where dust extraction is needed. And sometimes you just need it for 2-3 cuts, just seems like it will be quicker and easier.

I can't speak for the Dewalt and Makita cordless tracks but I own the Festool cordless and it has awesome dust collection with the attached bag. It worked well enough that I never plug in the vacuum. It is nice to make cuts and not have to watch where the cord are while cutting. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Marcv76 said:

I can't speak for the Dewalt and Makita cordless tracks but I own the Festool cordless and it has awesome dust collection with the attached bag. It worked well enough that I never plug in the vacuum. It is nice to make cuts and not have to watch where the cord are while cutting. 

I would assume the Dewalt would come with a bag as well?