20V Framing Gun Issues

slopjock78

So i have the second gen 20V Framer, and it has developed an issue with nail feeding.  The gun probably has around 8k nails through it.  Has worked flawlessly up to now, but now the nails wont feed right about half the time.  Appears worse as the the magazine gets closer to being empty.  Sometimes i can just rack the feeder mechanism, other times i have to actually pull back the feeder, let the nail clip slide back, and then re feed the clip.  Not sure if its an issue with the feed/spring mechanism, or with the driver head itself.  I have tried cleaning best I can with out totally dismantling the head unit.

anyone else experienced this problem?  Any advice on how to best clean the gun. Also, what is the best way to find a local shop that I can have the unit serviced if that is what is necessary?

thanks in advanced for any help

Oil the track spring and the tip.......only use paslode paper nails...keep the nail setting on the highest number......over 100k 3 1/4" hot dip galv through each of my dcn 692 (3 ) .....do not force the nails through by pushing  the lever down, do not slam the lever onto the nails,,,,the paper will bind up and cause problems....

never had a problem with mine and never been serviced....best of luck

Do NOT get any oil on The driver pin or inside the gun tip!! The pin works off of friction and the fly wheel inside...take it from a guy who ignored the do not oil label...lol.

You can take the magazine holder off easy enough with the supplied allen wrench and clean with a rag and compressed air. The very lightly oil the spring in the magazine.

Framer was also right that a broken or weak return spring can keep the driver pin from fully retracting and then the nails won't feed properly. That is a $35 part on Amazon and takes less than 5 minutes to replace.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I believe I have done everything that has been mentioned.  I only use paslode nails, have stripped the gun down and cleaned with my compressor and a rag.  I have never tried to push the lever into the nails, only pulled it back and released normally to try and get it to feed. I have not tried oiling anything, as I was worried since I saw the no oil sticker.  

I do think it may possibly be the weak return spring that you guys have mentioned.  Typically if i pull back the magazine feed lever, i can hear the drive pin return to the set position and see the nails feed forward.  Are there any instruction online for the process of replacing this spring?

Thanks for all the help guys.  And yes, replacing them is even easier then the video makes it look.  I pulled my head cap off yesterday, and as it turns out I do not have a weak return spring.  I have a BROKEN return spring.  I already have a new set on order, hopefully here by monday.  I plan on roofing all this weekend, so I shouldnt even need the gun hardly at all before I get it fixed

thanks again for all the help guys!!  You led me to the exact problem

• Like 1

This problem has come up on a number of different tools of mine over the years like hilti's gx120 and Ramsey's trakfast and pasloads. One thing you can do to prevent this is not storing it loaded with pins and not leaving the feeder locked open for loading for extended periods. All my coworkers hold onto the same gun for work everyday and the guys that don't do those things always have problems when they get down to the last few pins. Saves you from a bit of frustration and wasting those few pins that many times just get discarded. That adds up quickly when you burn through 8k fasteners in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk