Need some advice on a saw I'm selling.

Jronman

So some may know I am selling a new in box DCD575T2 flex circ saw and I got someone who posed some interest and asked what my bottom offer was. I didn't feel comfortable giving my bottom offer just to give me some room to negotiate. My listed offer was $350 which I thought was a good deal considering I payed around $380 for it. I don't know if this was a mistake or not but I forgot to look at the current retail price for the saw and noticed it has dropped to $300. I told him the story and politely asked if I could try a starting price at $300. He replied with a not so great reply involving swearing and basically said I can't charge $300.

What should I do?

unless you are investing in something that will actually go up in value you have to realize 99.9% of other consumables we buy there will be a loss regardless what it is, if you used it, or how long you have it.  Take the loss and move on. sell it for what you can get, remember the longer you hold off the less you will get in most cases unless you bought it way below retail and then can sell it for a profit. In you case you paid high retail and the item has come down in price, there is no way you can get anything close to what you paid. 

If its $300 and brand new in the box, the most I'm paying is $200. Anymore I can just make a trip whichever closest store stocks them, probably screw them down a little and walk out with it for around $280. 

The hassle of buying it privately, is it as good as it says, picking it up, paypal, returning it if its faulty is not worth the hassle to save a few buck, it has be at least a 33% saving.

Selling stuff online is frustrating, you're going to get a-holes. If you're not reasonable and realistic with your price, it won't sell. If you are super reasonable with your price, you're still going to get a-holes.

I'm trying to sell a Milwaukee DMM, I want $80 out of it. Going rate on eBay is $100 ish for used, mine is in great condition because it wasn't used...I get $30, $50 offers consistently, I ignore them.

11 hours ago, Jronman said:

I told him the story and politely asked if I could try a starting price at $300. He replied with a not so great reply involving swearing and basically said I can't charge $300.

What should I do?

As soon as he started swearing, I'd have ceased contact with him.  I did a few checks, and the only retailers selling the 2-battery kit for $299 are ToolBarn and CPO Outlets (found the latter on Sears' website, I'm sure there are others, but it was a brief search).  Home Depot has the 1-battery kit for the same price, and other retailers sell the DCS575T2 kit for over $350, with the majority still selling it for $380.

Unfortunately, though, with stores like Home Depot offering additional discounts (I take the additional 10% discount into account before buying anything), coupled with all of the cheap bastards out there today who want something for (next to) nothing, it's hard to sell anything for a reasonable price, especially in cases such as yours where you purchased it prior to a substantial price decrease. 

Maybe you can try listing it a few different ways.  New in box doesn't seem to be working, so maybe you can try listing the saw alone for $150 or so (currently $180 online).  If that sells, try listing the batteries and charger bundled together or separately.  Of course, I'd keep the box unopened until just before making a sale.  Besides potentially selling everything for a higher price, this would also give you the option of keeping the charger and/or batteries if you find yourself in a position to do so. 

Anyway, back to the current dilemma.  I am a big fan of professionalism and maturity.  Anyone who is unable to tactfully negotiate a price is not worth my time or energy.  I'd thank the guy for letting you know that $300 is not a viable asking price and then block him before relisting the kit for a lower price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I sell new stuff closer to retail pricing (but still discounted) I remind people they would be paying for tax as well which so gives a bigger savings over buying it at the store. If they don't like the price and your explanation you don't owe them anything. I have sold items on Facebook marketplace and have blocked a few people who wanted to argue over price. Ignore them and be done with it.

Just like comp said though the longer you wait the less you will get. Been there. Just like an auction you need to figure out how much you are willing to pay and how much you are willing to lose. If an offer comes above your bottom dollar take it and don't look back especially if you haven't gotten many offers at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk