Jump to content

Help in router choice


Foneguy

Recommended Posts

What up Crew ?!

Really only had time to quick read the forums lately, Been busy at work with a hurricane schedule.

the time has come for me to get a router.

i have decided that a compact would be best for my needs. Now ..........

do I go cordless ??? 

Not against it, but Really didn't  want to start another battery platform. If I am starting another it should have a wide range of other tools....

with that said, Leaning to the rigid.

Ultimate question is ......cordless rigid or dewalt corded ???

And I will be putting this into a small bench top router table, prob Bosch 1171.

I'm sure if I go corded, I won't be disappointed, probably be a Dewalt.

 

**UPDATE**

i am changing it up a little .... now leaning towards the Bosch 1617 .....

still need your  opinions ..... suggestions 

 

thanks guys !!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

Will a compact router fit into a router table?

Any of the compact routers will suit you fine. I have the Makita personally.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
 

They should with some mod to the plate ... will definitely verify before I pull the trigger ...

thanks !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The cordless Makita is a nice option. less vibration than the ridgid. You could also look at the Festool OF1010. If I'm not mistaken it has the option to be installed in a router table. It is the size between the Festool trim router and OF1400. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

If it is going to be in a router table I don't see a need for it to be cordless.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
 

True .... I was thinking of how I was going to use it most of the time, cordless is prob not the best way to go ..... leaning now towards the Bosch 1617...

i know I'm all over the place, I guess I'm over thinking .....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rrich1 said:

If it is going to be in a router table I don't see a need for it to be cordless.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
 

Totally what I was thinking as well. I'd definitely look at the Makita if I wasn't an anal-retentive German Virgo and lover of most things German. So it's probably going to be Bosch for me when I pull the trigger.

 

I don't remember which model of the big Bosch it is, but one of them has the power switch in the handle so it becomes somewhat problematic when used in a router table (second hand - and therefor possibly inaccurate - info gleaned from geeking out on YouTube router videos... possibly from Jay's Custom Creations channel? Just something to look into...)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once you put a 5amp battery on a trim router its as heavy as a mid sized router with half the power, so I'm not a fan of the current cordless trim routers.

 

Not sure why Jronman says the Makita has less vibration than the Ridgid. I have the Ridgid and it has no real noticeable vibration to me. 

 

The Makita and Dewalt definitely have more power than the Ridgid. I also hate the height adjustment on the Makita. The Ridgid has a very nice height adjustment.

 

If you want it for more than laminate work I would go with the Dewalt or Porter Cable as they are pretty much identical, so I would let price determine between the two.

 

I would not put a trim router in a  table, I would go mid sized and up for that application. Just my opinion...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SetBuilder said:

Once you put a 5amp battery on a trim router its as heavy as a mid sized router with half the power, so I'm not a fan of the current cordless trim routers.

 

Not sure why Jronman says the Makita has less vibration than the Ridgid. I have the Ridgid and it has no real noticeable vibration to me. 

 

The Makita and Dewalt definitely have more power than the Ridgid. I also hate the height adjustment on the Makita. The Ridgid has a very nice height adjustment.

 

If you want it for more than laminate work I would go with the Dewalt or Porter Cable as they are pretty much identical, so I would let price determine between the two.

 

I would not put a trim router in a  table, I would go mid sized and up for that application. Just my opinion...

 

Good info here...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

I say corded, Dewalt or Bosch. I really like my Dewalt router.

I've been googling the sh*t out of stuff, looks like it's a choice between 2 just like @BMack37 said.... DEWALT or Bosch.

being that I'm team yellow....... I'm leaning now

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

Not sure why Jronman says the Makita has less vibration than the Ridgid. I have the Ridgid and it has no real noticeable vibration to me. 

What I was trying to say was when you turn the Makita on and the the Ridgid and set them on a flat surface the Ridgid will move around more than the Makita

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Foneguy said:

I've been googling the sh*t out of stuff, looks like it's a choice between 2 just like @BMack37 said.... DEWALT or Bosch.

being that I'm team yellow....... I'm leaning now

 

I was thinking after commenting...I love my Dewalt router BUT the Bosch (non-compact) sets itself apart for use in a table, you can adjust height with a hex key from the top of the table. Having a router where that isn't an option...kinda sucks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are only going to have one router and have it spend most of it's time in a router table going for a 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 router combo is probably the best route for you to go. get a fixed/plunge base kit and you can leave a base in the table and drop the motor out to use with the other base. get it with variable speed and 1/4 and 1/2 inch chucks and you will be set for small to moderately big bits.

 

I can't speak to the other brands, I started with a Porter-Cable 690 kit around 20 years ago and it is still going, later on I lucked in to an 890 with virtually no use at a pawn shop and since it could use the same bases, collets and wrenches it was a no brainer to buy it to put into the router table, the plus side to it for the router table is 2 switch locations one near the handle and one at the end of the motor (perfect for the router table). The 690 and 100 before it were the industry standard so getting an insert plate that the 690 or 890 bolts right up to is easy. The other features that make the 890 great for router tables is the micro adjust knob for fine tuning and the push button for large adjustments, it has the ability to use an above the table crank to adjust height (it works by grabbing the end of a hex shaft on the micro adjust knob) and when you push the push button for a large adjustment and raise the motor as high as possible in the table, it pushes in on the collet shaft lock and only requires one wrench to change the bit at that point. I don't like to speak bad about one brand or another, being a red, yellow, blue or green Koolaid drinker. But hey, if it was good enough for Norm for all those years...

 

One attachment to take a serious look at is the Oneida  router hood, and look he has a Bosch router.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great info guys !! I really appreciate all the help. I thought about what I am going to do most, and figured it would almost always stay in a table. I'm gonna go full size with the BOSCH 1617 and prob put it in a small Bosch table.

*Part 2* any table ideas ? (building my own is not an option)

Smaller not freestanding. Thinking of Bosch 1171 ..... The Kreg looks nice.....??

 

 

Also gonna hit up some pawn shops and look between the old generators and pressure washers and see if I get lucky. My pawn shop options are not all that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Foneguy said:

Great info guys !! I really appreciate all the help. I thought about what I am going to do most, and figured it would almost always stay in a table. I'm gonna go full size with the BOSCH 1617 and prob put it in a small Bosch table.

*Part 2* any table ideas ? (building my own is not an option)

Smaller not freestanding. Thinking of Bosch 1171 ..... The Kreg looks nice.....??

 

 

Also gonna hit up some pawn shops and look between the old generators and pressure washers and see if I get lucky. My pawn shop options are not all that.

 

 

A pawn shop is where I got my router table(USA Craftsman), with router for like $20.

 

I really like the Kreg stuff and the Bosch seems nice but they're pricey. There's also the Husky (made by Keter) folding table with router insert.

 

BTW: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-25-HP-Fixed-Base-Vari-Spd-Electronic-Router-Recon-Bosch-Tools-1617EVS-46/332206845987?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started with a home made bench top router table (somebody else made the table, I made the fence. I got lucky at Woodcraft a few years ago and got the Kreg bench top table that had a bunch of parts swiped off of it for less than half price. I put some research into parts and for less than $20 it was ready to go. I absolutely love the Kreg. That said, don't be scared of the idea of building your own. Buy a plate that fits your router that has changeable inserts for bit size and use MDF for the table top and fence parts and it will stay flat and straight, cover it with an inexpensive piece of laminate (parts and pieces of it easier to find than you think for a little bit of nothing, cabinet shops have cut offs left and right). I have heard more than once that the Keter table doesn't stay flat. I don't have any experience with it, but have looked at it and it does appear to be made lightly enough that with a router hanging in it all the time, the center would sag and deform.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

building a table is very easy. do you have a table saw at all? I  have pics of my router table build in the workshop section.

 

the bosch routers are $20 off right now so it is a good time to get one. check your local home depot for a Ryobi router table in the clearance section. there are a couple at mine that have been clearance for months.

 

I actually bought the dewalt 2.25 combo today from HD using a harbor freight 20% coupon. plus the menards rebate match ftw!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rrich1 said:

building a table is very easy. do you have a table saw at all? I  have pics of my router table build in the workshop section.

 

the bosch routers are $20 off right now so it is a good time to get one. check your local home depot for a Ryobi router table in the clearance section. there are a couple at mine that have been clearance for months.

 

I actually bought the dewalt 2.25 combo today from HD using a harbor freight 20% coupon. plus the menards rebate match ftw!

The Ryobi router table is good for the price.  Not all stores have it on clearance, but I lucked out and found one for $50 a couple of months ago.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, rrich1 said:

building a table is very easy. do you have a table saw at all? I  have pics of my router table build in the workshop section.

 

the bosch routers are $20 off right now so it is a good time to get one. check your local home depot for a Ryobi router table in the clearance section. there are a couple at mine that have been clearance for months.

 

I actually bought the dewalt 2.25 combo today from HD using a harbor freight 20% coupon. plus the menards rebate match ftw!

My HD does not take HF coupons....

and the clearance items are few and far in between ..... but I will check ...

thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    16,553
    Total Members
    6,555
    Most Online
    Bill Rade
    Newest Member
    Bill Rade
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...