DeWalt 8v MAX

firefighter4187

I bet we will see some flashlight's and diagnostic tools like a multimeter and thermometer on the 8v platform. I have to agree with the slide pack issue now it makes the tools larger than other brands 12v tools. The only thing is I did have the old M12 drill and impact I have smaller hands so the grip was kind of uncomfortable, but with the redesign on the Fuel versions of the Impact and Drill they really solved that issue big time. I wonder if this 8v line was started because of the milwaukee 4v line of tools that's rumored to be in development. Milwaukee has a screwdriver out right now. Plus the can steal from the Ryobi Tek4 and the craftsmen 4v line http://toolguyd.com/craftsman-4v-cordless-tools/ the tek4 line kinda flopped except for a few tools and the craftsman line was discontinued right away. One crappy thing about the dewalt 12v line the ah rating on the dewalt 12v batteries are really low if you get and older pack before they updated the cells they can either be 1.3ah or 1.5ah. Has any one used the gyro drivers are they really worth it or its it more of a gimmic?

I think you nailed it DR99. We'll see diagnostic tools and items not specifically classified as "tools". I always thought Dewalt screwed up by going with the slide pack, but they claimed their market research indicated that the ability of the tool to stand up straight was important to their customers, especially installers, whom Dewalt viewed as a primary user category for the 12V Max line. They claimed this was primarily a concern because snobby customers often complained when installers laid their tools over on their granite counter tops, hardwood floors, etc. Milwaukee nailed the 12V platform. The option for either style battery is great considering some tools workout better with the slim packs and some with the square XC's.

It amazed me that my 12v redlithium compact packs had more more amp hours than the 12v dewalt packs considering that they were slide on pack and were larger. I really like that Milwaukee is including xc packs with the fuel drills

Mac has a 12V Screwdriver that is either just out or just getting ready to be. It's a re-branded Dewalt 12V Max pack and it looks odd as hell on a screwdriver. I can't seem to find a pic of it, but when I do I'll share it.  

Yeah now whats this with Milwaukee and a 4v line?

They announced an M4 screwdriver a month or 2 back. 

Milwaukee-M4-Screwdriver.jpg

No word yet on any other tools to follow, but everyone suspects it will contain several Tek4-ish items.

Believe it or not, there was a time (in my lifetime) that B&D made pretty nice stuff. When I was a kid every shop in my town had B&D stuff from the 70's, 60's, and even a few from the 50's, still seeing regular use. They cheapened them up through the 80's and then in the early 90's (1992 IIRC) they brought the Dewalt name back from the dead. They'd owned the name since 1959 or 60, but once the radial arm saw sales died off they left it idle for awhile. They bought a german company called Elu and used the cordless technology they acquired through Elu to release the original Dewalt cordless line. In reality Dewalt was never any better quality than Milwaukee, Makita, or Bosch, but the dominated the market through advertising and promotions. When my Dad bought Dewalt stuff he almost always got a coupon in the box for a free battery, or in some cases, free tools. He bought a cordless combo kit and got a free Circular saw, bought a planer and got a Jig saw, bought a table saw and got a cordless screwdriver, etc. In some cases he had like 4 or 5 tools to choose from. It was a killer promo and it worked. Why buy a Milwaukee tool when he could buy a Dewalt tool and get another tool for free? Every tool in my Dad's shop was that ugly fucking yellow and still is. 

Yea it's pretty crazy how dominant Dewalt was at one time regarding cordless tools during the nicad era. Yea the other brands were around but that 18v xrp line just dominated it was great marketing by them. They really lost it during the lion revolution they were kinda slow getting onboard with it most of the lion tools didn't sell too well till the 20v max launch. Yea the free battery or tool deal wasn't nearly as common back then as it is now.

They really did run off some customers by running 2 platforms at once (me included). People knew 20V Max was the future, but most were disappointed in the pathetic initial 2 tool offering, couldn't wait who knows how long for the Max platform to catch up, and were leery about investing in a nano base line that everyone knew was on the way out. The whole debacle seemed like it lasted longer than it actually did,  but it hurt sales regardless. It's why I chose Milwaukee and deterred a lot of others as well, 

Yea it was pretty bad when it took Dewalt 3 years to get a new jobsite radio. I would say now the 20v max line is pretty filled out now with this last batch of tools they released. I know Makita or Hilti was the first with some brushless tool offerings Hilti isn't really relevant, but Milwaukee was the first one to really push it mainstream with some serious marketing. I know Milwaukee burnt some bridges with the v18 line being discontinued so quickly. Now that Dewalt has the basic's on the 20v line they can start to add the specialty tools like nailguns and other things. It's pretty crazy that they don't have a Dewalt multitool though corded or cordless they could just used the porter cable version in the short term

So now Eric and Dan have reviewed some testers from Klein, Im wondering if we can expect the same type of tools from the 8v line, maybe even a clamp meter to compete with Milwaukee....

I'd say its a pretty safe bet

For me the slide pack on dewalt 12v line was the reason i went with dewalt , one charger 20v/12v

I have to ask, what was it about the slide pack that you preferred over Milwaukee where you have the option of either?