Do dewalt plan on an updated xr planer?

Turner85

Hey guys, havent been paying much attention lately to tool news etc. But the new year as me wanting to step my tool game up a bit. Being cleaning the van out and deciding what I can upgrade, and outta my cordless tools the dcp580 has been my biggest let down. I cant use this thing without it bogging up and I've no back up planer. I've tried my friends makita and it works way better but I dont wanna jump platforms. Any plans for a newer version does anyone know or anyone even having this same issue?

I wouldn’t expect it but Makita already had the best planer then decided out of nowhere to make an even better, brushless one. So maybe with that development Dewalt will feel obligated to respond.

On the other hand, Dewalt does have larger-capacity batteries and that does make a difference...assuming the extra power output doesn’t wear down the tool down too much faster.

I don't know how well it'd work with the actual tools, but I bought a Dewalt-Makita adapter so I could use my Dewy batteries on the Makita oscillating fan, and it works a treat. From memory I think I read that Dewalt has the circuit protection on the tools as opposed to in the batteries, which could cause an issue if battery drain isn't monitored when using the adapter

• 2 years later...

Very disappointed with the dewalt 18v planer to the point I can no longer use it, I’m now using my 15 year old trusty 110v Makita planer. From new the dewalt would clog up too quick even on its lowest setting, I’ve tried all sorts of wood, tried new blades, tried putting an extractor on it, but it just clogs up every time. The other problem with it is even at its lowest setting it’s still taking of 1/2 mm off so the height adjustment is wrong. I started to change all of my kit to cordless, and now wished I’d have gone with makita as I’m not 100% happy with the dewalt 18v router either. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sid69 said:

Very disappointed with the dewalt 18v planer to the point I can no longer use it, I’m now using my 15 year old trusty 110v Makita planer. From new the dewalt would clog up too quick even on its lowest setting, I’ve tried all sorts of wood, tried new blades, tried putting an extractor on it, but it just clogs up every time. The other problem with it is even at its lowest setting it’s still taking of 1/2 mm off so the height adjustment is wrong. I started to change all of my kit to cordless, and now wished I’d have gone with makita as I’m not 100% happy with the dewalt 18v router either. 

Wait for Mafell or Festool to come up with a cordless one.