M18 Fuel vs 20v Max

banjerpicker

Could it be a quality control problem?

Could be, not every single chuck is going to be the same on every single drill... But I don't really think it's a serious problem because we haven't experienced any yet and we use them quite a bit... Jacobs makes EXCELLENT chucks

The compact did awesome, Only 5 less holes then the Milwaukee... Fantastic drill. 5 holes to me is not a huge gap, but it weighing only 3.5 lbs is... More holes and all around power goes to the Milwaukee, all day comfort Dewalt wins... Unless you need huge power the Dewalt is a beast in it's own right... As far as getting hot, it's a small drill to be doing constant work with that auger bit... the others never got hot because well... More area to absorb and distribute the heat... All great drills, the brushed 985 just need a brushless motor and it will be right there with the Milwaukee

The compact did awesome, Only 5 less holes then the Milwaukee... Fantastic drill. 5 holes to me is not a huge gap, but it weighing only 3.5 lbs is... More holes and all around power goes to the Milwaukee, all day comfort Dewalt wins... Unless you need huge power the Dewalt is a beast in it's own right... As far as getting hot, it's a small drill to be doing constant work with that auger bit... the others never got hot because well... More area to absorb and distribute the heat... All great drills, the brushed 985 just need a brushless motor and it will be right there with the Milwaukee

Yeah the 790 is the lightest, but with a 4.0 battery it is just as tall as the Milwaukee and the 985. The chuck and motor housing is a little bit shorter than the fuel is thou.

Yeah the 790 is the lightest, but with a 4.0 battery it is just as tall as the Milwaukee and the 985. The chuck and motor housing is a little bit shorter than the fuel is thou.

If you look close it's a little bit shorter... From what I could see anyway, not by much but it is shorter

I know one thing, all I have are 4 1.5 ah batteries, no big 3 or 4 ah batteries.. But for the jobs I'd be doing which is nothing extreme like drilling an auger bit like that, the 1.5 ah should do me since I have 4 of them... just after seeing what a 4-5" holesaw did to my mastercraft drill (burnt up) and our dewalt compact's (not burnt up but she took a beating that no compact should endure) the 985 is a good drill to have around even thought it won't be needed all that much... The 985 will be my go to drill for doing big holes and heavy duty work (probably rarely doing concrete work just spade bits, hole saw work) and keep the compact for the smaller jobs so we don't destroy it... for 100 bucks it's a great price for a heavy duty drill that can keep up with the big boys power wise, just missing the right powerplant

I know one thing, all I have are 4 1.5 ah batteries, no big 3 or 4 ah batteries.. But for the jobs I'd be doing which is nothing extreme like drilling an auger bit like that, the 1.5 ah should do me since I have 4 of them... just after seeing what a 4-5" holesaw did to my mastercraft drill (burnt up) and our dewalt compact's (not burnt up but she took a beating that no compact should endure) the 985 is a good drill to have around even thought it won't be needed all that much... The 985 will be my go to drill for doing big holes and heavy duty work (probably rarely doing concrete work just spade bits, hole saw work) and keep the compact for the smaller jobs so we don't destroy it... for 100 bucks it's a great price for a heavy duty drill that can keep up with the big boys power wise, just missing the right powerplant

You dont happen to have a boat do you? If you do the 985 works just as good as an anchor hahaha  :)

Well I ordered the drill, it was either that or a new paslode finish nailer... Dad has a brad nailer that barely sees any use so I'll be borrowing his nailer till I pick up the paslode...rather borrow the nailer and have a drill that will probably see a little more use around here... I don't wanna ruin another drill.. RIP mastercraft 

Well I ordered the drill, it was either that or a new paslode finish nailer... Dad has a brad nailer that barely sees any use so I'll be borrowing his nailer till I pick up the paslode...rather borrow the nailer and have a drill that will probably see a little more use around here... I don't wanna ruin another drill.. RIP mastercraft 

I wonder when the 20v finish nailer will be here lol...

Went to the next closest Home Depot after the visit to Lowes.  All the Dewalts had the same amount of play.  However, I finally found a Milwaukee with significant amount of play on display.  Weird.  It was a display model but looked like it had been used quite a bit.  It was all scratched up and dirty.  Their tools "expert" didn't know anything.  If I buy through HD, it won't be that one.