M18 Fuel vs 20v Max

banjerpicker

I'm looking into getting a drill driver, a hammer drill, and an impact driver for use on repairs to buildings on the farms.  I'm stuck between the M18 Fuel and the new 20v Max.  I'm pretty much set on brushless Lithium-Ion for power and run time.  My question is, which is the more solid of the two?  There have been reviews of a plastic screw breaking in the chuck of the Milwaukee, but I haven't seen much on the Dewalt.  Has Milwaukee fixed this?  Which is more reliable and the greater torque?

What I'm asking is, does anybody have experience with these two lines?

I used to be a DeWalt guy, I had the 20v brushed drill and impact, they were great tools, tough, but in some ways I felt that they were cheap, a lot of rattling, battery packs were loose. I started looking into Milwaukee and they have DeWalt beat in so many ways. First, Milwaukee is just Plain innovative from there hand tools, to there 12v line and in to the 18v line. There 12v line is the best 12v line out, with the most tools. All Milwaukee power tools have 5 year warranty, the best warranty in the market. Once Milwaukee releases the brushless saws, angle grinder and impact wrench, I believe and many others will agree that Milwaukee will rise to the top. Milwaukee is here for you, I sold my DeWalt drill, and Bought the M18 FUEL Hammer drill/driver, and I tell you what, there is not one bit of cheap on this, I can not get it to stop, from concrete to paddle bits, it just keeps going, as for a farm setting I assume you will be using a lot of auger bits, this will fly through wood like butter on 2nd speed. I also feel that if you go with fuel, you can expand to the brushless circular saw, sawmill, angle grinder and impact wrench which all have there place on a farm setting. I am now a Milwaukee guy and will never turn back. DeWalt drills have high rpms, thats about it. The Milwaukee has 725in pounds of torque, industry leader, that will power you through anything, it also has 31,450 beats per minute, to knock you through masonry, concrete etc. The Milwaukee also has a 24  Position clutch, so this drill will be precision as a 12v. Mix this with 4.0 batteries and you have got one hell of a drill that will last all day. Thats my 2 cents for you. Hope it helps.

Most of us here tend to be Milwaukee guys. Milwaukee offers a broader range of products and is quick about getting them out. They also offer a 5 year warranty compared to Dewalt's 3.

It you're just wanting the tools you named, either will be sufficient in all honesty. I recommend Milwaukee because that's what I use.

There's really no use in getting a Drill/Driver and a Hammer Drill. They are the same thing except for the addition of the hammer function. I'd get the hammer drill and forget about the Drill/Driver.

Unless of course you were talking about an SDS hammer?

The Fuel has more power than the Dewalt, the Dewalt has more RPM than the Fuel. I prefer more power. You only need so many RPM's.

Yes like conductor said, get the Fuel hammer drill/driver which is the drill in my review. If you are talking about an sds, the only "brushless" sds hammer drill available is the  12v Milwaukee or the Makita, In my opinion you will only need an sds if you  are going to be drilling concrete and running tapcons hard all day long. Also if you are wanting all three, a drill driver, hammer drill and impact driver, you are looking at at least a $1000 out if you buy the kit for each one.

I'm not planning on an SDS. What I was thinking was using the hammer drill for pilot holes and the driver to put screws in. The barns are about 100 years old AMD have sawmill oak that I'll be screwing into. I figured this would save switching out. I'm also going to be doing some foundation repair and might use tapcons, hence the impact driver. I think it'll also help when I tear down the 59 Fairlane.

I think your best bet would be use the drill to drill the holes and the impact driver to drive the screws, you will save time and screws when you use an impact driver, they dont strip screws as much because of the the impacts. Impact drivers have a lot of power, mine has enough power to take off lugs. I think the impact driver is the greatest tool invention for this century so far. once you use one, you will never go back to using a drill to drive large screws!

Thanks DR99, forgot about that one.

I've used a Makita impact driver on a temp job I did for a local govt, mainly driving tapcons and bolts on swing sets and playground equipment.  I just didn't know how they'd do on woodscrews.

Hell yeah it does, its a breeze with an impact. Heres my recommended kit:http://www.ohiopowertool.com/P-4468-milwaukee-m18-fuel-hammer-drill-impact-kit-2797-22.aspx?CA_6C15C=1612295642

This kit also comes with 4.0 batteries to give you max performance.

Just go to Home Depot and try them they are pretry much the same except for the warranty and you only need a drill/driver and impact so the fact that one brand as more tool dont make sense and a power tool is gone a be as good as the attachment you use. me i dont like a brand a like tools

The only thing I would do is unless you need it right away wait and see if they have a free battery promotion it's like saving 79 for a compact kit to 129 for the xc4.0 when you figure the cost of the battery in the price of the tool. They seem to offer it around major holidays with labor day just around the corner you might see some good deals.

The only thing I would do is unless you need it right away wait and see if they have a free battery promotion it's like saving 79 for a compact kit to 129 for the xc4.0 when you figure the cost of the battery in the price of the tool. They seem to offer it around major holidays with labor day just around the corner you might see some good deals.

DR, You think they will run that sale with the new saws?

I think that Dan from tia left is dril/driver (dewalt) on the roof one day and it rain and it fell of the roof and it was still working so thats not CHEAP ! Thats TOUGH ! I've used my dewalt every day for the past year , year and an half and i never had the electronic to kick in but a always see milwaukee's electronc kicking in and stop the tool so if you want to save your tool go with milwaukee but if you want to work go dewalt !!!PS. Its just to piss some red lovers yes piss yellow piss !!!! Lol

• Like 1

I think that Dan from tia left is dril/driver (dewalt) on the roof one day and it rain and it fell of the roof and it was still working so thats not CHEAP ! Thats TOUGH ! I've used my dewalt every day for the past year , year and an half and i never had the electronic to kick in but a always see milwaukee's electronc kicking in and stop the tool so if you want to save your tool go with milwaukee but if you want to work go dewalt !!!PS. Its just to piss some red lovers yes piss yellow piss !!!! Lol

No cheapness with ANY Dewalt product I own, My battery packs lock on rock solid with all my drill and 2 drivers along with my father in laws set and and my best buddy's... all own the original 20v max compact drill and driver combo and I own the brushless impact as well...Also never had electronic's kick in on my drill or father in laws yet either...

Dewalt's brushless hammerdrill and milwaukee put up against each other, the average person could probably not see a difference in performance unless you owned both and used them back to back

The dewalt drill has a higher rpm and 34,000bpm which are both more then milwaukee andt unless someone comes out with a perfect formula for reading UWO, we don't know the in lbs but if you look at the other specs, expect dewalt to be close to the milwaukee but we can't tell without the proper number

The dewalt is also shorther and lighter then the milwaukee so take comfort into the account as well when making your decision, going to be holding it all day... Also the price should be a big factor

Impact driver, I own the brushless 3 speed Dewalt... Best on the market IMO, It will pass any screw through any type of material you throw at it... I have not got it to stop yet, I even use it when I'm doing mechanic work on cars to remove and tighten bolts...Built me and my gf's new deck on the house, must of drilled well over 1500 screws with it from 1" to over 3" and it puts everything through like it's child's play... Also shorter and lighter then the milwaukee counterpart and only gives up 100inlbs and 50rpm less, not enough of a difference you'd notice to deal with the milwaukee's extra bulk all day... 1lb might not seem like much but you feel it after a few hours

But hear this, there is nothing CHEAP about any of dewalt's new power tools

Being innovative or anything has nothing to do with what your going to be doing, get the best tool at the best price and you will be happy... I like Dewalt, I run them and have never had a problem. Even the first 20v max drill we have has never stopped on anything from going through basically railroad ties with an irwin speedbore or a 2" holesaw going through the wall of my girlfriend's house to install a heat pump and the walls being 6" thick or more of solid plywood (old home) and it would not stop... Both make good tools but I prefer Dewalt, I personally find they make a better quality tool.

Milwaukee can make everything in the world brushless but Dewalt to me is better quality... the day I went out to buy my first lithium-ion set I looked at all of them and I brought Dewalt home and still buy them today and I'm picky when it comes to my tools... So that says something

http://www.amazon.com/DCK286D2-Lithium-Brushless-Compact-Hammerdrill/dp/B00DG7SYYI

299.99 for both the hammerdrill and the impact, that's a great price, the milwaukee set like this is 399, for a 100 bucks less the Dewalt is a no brainer

No cheapness with ANY Dewalt product I own, My battery packs lock on rock solid with all my drill and 2 drivers along with my father in laws set and and my best buddy's... all own the original 20v max compact drill and driver combo and I own the brushless impact as well...Also never had electronic's kick in on my drill or father in laws yet either...

Dewalt's brushless hammerdrill and milwaukee put up against each other, the average person could probably not see a difference in performance unless you owned both and used them back to back

The dewalt drill has a higher rpm and 34,000bpm which are both more then milwaukee andt unless someone comes out with a perfect formula for reading UWO, we don't know the in lbs but if you look at the other specs, expect dewalt to be close to the milwaukee but we can't tell without the proper number

The dewalt is also shorther and lighter then the milwaukee so take comfort into the account as well when making your decision, going to be holding it all day... Also the price should be a big factor

Impact driver, I own the brushless 3 speed Dewalt... Best on the market IMO, It will pass any screw through any type of material you throw at it... I have not got it to stop yet, I even use it when I'm doing mechanic work on cars to remove and tighten bolts...Built me and my gf's new deck on the house, must of drilled well over 1500 screws with it from 1" to over 3" and it puts everything through like it's child's play... Also shorter and lighter then the milwaukee counterpart and only gives up 100inlbs and 50rpm less, not enough of a difference you'd notice to deal with the milwaukee's extra bulk all day... 1lb might not seem like much but you feel it after a few hours

But hear this, there is nothing CHEAP about any of dewalt's new power tools

Being innovative or anything has nothing to do with what your going to be doing, get the best tool at the best price and you will be happy... I like Dewalt, I run them and have never had a problem. Even the first 20v max drill we have has never stopped on anything from going through basically railroad ties with an irwin speedbore or a 2" holesaw going through the wall of my girlfriend's house to install a heat pump and the walls being 6" thick or more of solid plywood (old home) and it would not stop... Both make good tools but I prefer Dewalt, I personally find they make a better quality tool.

Milwaukee can make everything in the world brushless but Dewalt to me is better quality... the day I went out to buy my first lithium-ion set I looked at all of them and I brought Dewalt home and still buy them today and I'm picky when it comes to my tools... So that says something

http://www.amazon.com/DCK286D2-Lithium-Brushless-Compact-Hammerdrill/dp/B00DG7SYYI

299.99 for both the hammerdrill and the impact, that's a great price, the milwaukee set like this is 399, for a 100 bucks less the Dewalt is a no brainer

All manufacturers have good tools and bad tools, I was just telling him how innovative Milwaukee is as a company, If he is going to buy DeWalt or Milwaukee tools, he is going to buy more of them, Im sure we can all agree that Milwaukee is the most Innovative, Look at all of the features on there power tools, to there hand tools. Once slap on a 4.0 to the DeWalt, its close if not even to the Milwaukee. Does DeWalt sell a kit with the 4.0 batteries?

All manufacturers have good tools and bad tools, I was just telling him how innovative Milwaukee is as a company, If he is going to buy DeWalt or Milwaukee tools, he is going to buy more of them, Im sure we can all agree that Milwaukee is the most Innovative, Look at all of the features on there power tools, to there hand tools. Once slap on a 4.0 to the DeWalt, its close if not even to the Milwaukee. Does DeWalt sell a kit with the 4.0 batteries?

There power tools don't really have any more special features then Dewalt's... All have LED lights, with Dewalt's in a nicer spot with no shadow... Both have high capacity 2 and 4 ah batteries, brushless motors, belt clips, metal ratcheting chucks, 1/2 chucks, high impact plastic cases, etc... Nothing really innovative there, all the competition has or is making the same thing

The only innovative thing is they are releasing more tools with brushless motors...and like I said before, unless your a hardcore tool junkie, there is no need to upgrade your current brushed tools, that or a professional contractor making their living and even then most pro contractors I see still run old dewalt 18v tools run em till they die and buy a new one, Their not all out there looking for brushless tools to make sure they have the best everyday...Most here just seem like tool junkie's that use them are DIY and homeowners

The hand tool line, Dewalt and most every large hand tool company makes tools equal to or better then milwaukee... All make utility knifes, screwdrivers, door lock installation kits, measuring tapes and list goes on... They all have their positive and negative attributes...Pliers, I'm gonna run channellock, screwdrivers I run canadian tire brand maximum and hard to find a better one for the price anywhere... Measuring tapes well there are so many to choose from I have mastercraft, stanley power lock (probably the most durable, most used one in existence), Lufkin... etc Snips, I have Wiss and that's it... Vise grips by Irwin... Most hand tools already have a company that has perfected them long ago and buying anything else your buying a lesser tool

Milwaukee has a huge 12v line but unless you want 12v tools well it doesn't really matter then, because it's not like you can use the batteries in ur 18v line 

Maybe more then a little, maybe like 200 in lbs... But that's it, To me unless you were drilling heavy holes all day for tapcon's, running holesaw's and big speed bore's... The Compact is WAY more then enough especially for the OP needs 

The big Fuel would be fine running with a big contractor doing big heavy duty tasks everyday through cement and even then I'd probably be running an SDS but for homeowner tasks, the Dewalt compact is the best lineup out there... Light weight, easy to get into tighter spots all in a high quality tool

It's why more and more tools and becoming more compact, People want power yes but in a smaller package that's light weight, long runtime and good power...

Dewalt's compact line is a huge seller and whenever they go on sale around here, they sell out everytime because they offer everything 90% of what people need in a nice light compact package... The Fuel is about a full lb heavier which is a lot when you think about it... So unless you truly need the big Fuel, Dewalt's compact is a great option

But to the OP, go and hold each one in your hands, play around with the buttons etc... And you pick whatever works for you best and feels right in your hand. You can have all the power you want, but if it sucks when you hold it, I wouldn't bother getting it