New Dewalt DCF899P1 Impact Wrench

JR_tools

Tried to use it to break free a bolt that is only torqued down to 250 ft/lbs.  The DeWalt couldn't didn't budge it.  The battery is fully charged, I set the wrench on "3."  I can't figure out why it didn't work.  I got a smaller bolt out - as far as I can tell the tool is in good working order.  It doesn't appear to be a counterfeit, at least it looks like the picture on DeWalt's website.  It's heavy, and came with a light oily residue on it which I took to indicate being new.  The box was unopened.  Everything looks right, it just isn't doing the job I bought it for.  I'm using it with a 10" impact extension, if that makes a difference.  What could the problem be?

More than likely the extension has something to do with it like framer said. Another thing to look at would be what battery you're using.  If you're using a compact battery you won't get the full power of the impact.  Also if it was torqued to 250ft/lbs and has sat and corroded it will take more than 250ft/lbs to remove it although i would think the dcf899 would still have enough extra torque to do it.  But if you have all three of these things fighting you I could see it possibly having trouble.