DeWalt Gyroscopic Driver

Moze

You should watch the tia video and decide for yourself if you can see yourself using this. The gyro function in my opinion is border line gimmicky and it has some serious cons but I'm sure for that one specific application the gyro function would be better than other options.

We'll see. I just got back from Lowe's with one lol. It has great reviews everywhere I look. It was $53 with tax. It's $62 on Amazon and $80 on Big Sky.

After debating between the DeWalt gyroscopic driver and a few others, I just really couldn't beat the deal on the Hitachi. Two lithium batteries, 200/600 rpm, 21 clutch settings, drill mode, lifetime warranty. 

I tried the DeWalt gyro driver in Lowe's and just didn't think I'd like it for what I'll be using it for. Although I do like that the gyro feature essentially makes it a variable speed. I almost got it because of that.

Nice pick up.  Out of them all, that one looks the best.  Never used it, so let me know how you like it over time.  I really liked the Dewalt system at first, but after using it for some time, I am not a huge fan.  I guess I don't do enough smaller things to really get a good feel for it.

I tried out the Hitachi a couple of times today. No real complaints other than the lack of a battery indicator (not a big deal) and the lack of variable speed. I ordered the DeWalt off Amazon. I'll use both for a while and see which I like better I guess. I wish DeWalt would have just put a trigger on the dang thing instead of the gyro.

What is with these tiny drivers and not having a variable speed trigger? Is it an issue with the electronics being too expensive or too large. It's 2013 and I have an Iphone that has a touch screen you would think they could add a dang variable speed trigger. Nice deal DamnYankee I don't want to steal your topic too much.

I know it probably has even less power but the Skill IXO or The Ryobi Tek 4 driver is another option. Ryobi has a right angle driver now for the tek4 most of the other tex4 products have been discontinued though

.http://www.ryobitools.com/holidayheadquarters?utm_source=Ryobi&utm_campaign=f78d56a40c-RYOBI_HolidayHQ11_5_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_03a9d65f40-f78d56a40c-267829293

Yeah, I agree with everything you guys said. If the DeWalt was a simple trigger-operated tool, more people would buy it.

I used the Hitachi more on a job today....basically drilling a bunch of .125" holes in drywall to install some letters....maybe 5 holes were through the metal studs. Anyway, it did fine. A little slow obviously compared to my impact, but it's nice and light weight which is nice. The only real complaint is that when it's in the pistol formation, it just seems like your hand is really far from the work. The DeWalt is supposed to arrive today - probably within the next half hour - so Ill try that out on some stuff next week. Or maybe I'll throw a comparison video together.

• 1 month later...

I got the dewalt gyro screw driver a while ago and still find myself going to my Milwaukee m12 screw driver for most situations. They are almost the same size, tip to butt, when in the pistol configuration. I think the dewalt will have a home for switch plates and cabinet work in my tool box. Not to deviate, the Dewalt 8v flash light is also a great addition to my tool pouch. 

I got the dewalt gyro screw driver a while ago and still find myself going to my Milwaukee m12 screw driver for most situations. They are almost the same size, tip to butt, when in the pistol configuration. I think the dewalt will have a home for switch plates and cabinet work in my tool box. Not to deviate, the Dewalt 8v flash light is also a great addition to my tool pouch. 

I dont know if i could get use to the gyro feature, i think if dewalt made a regular varible speed trigger, they would have a better seller.......even i would buy one.

Better patent that conductor, but yea a regular driver with the handle having the battery/motor would be cool and using gyro's to operate it. The only downside to keep the size down you probably couldn't have a removable battery.

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed about 40 switch plates today with it and after about 10 plates I see the value of the gyro. Squeezing a trigger fatigues my arm and hand after repeated uses. With the gyro I'm just holding a tool. Yes there is a trigger to engage the gyro but really it is just a button. If Dewalt changed the giant button to some kind of sensor that recognizes the user is holding it than this would make the screw driver even easier to use. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...