Jig Saw, decisions decision decisions....

ChrisK

So, now that I have my first Festool tool (T55 Plunge) I am going to purchase a new Jig Saw. I have the Bosch SDS jig saw but HATE the blade changes. Like the saw a lot but cannot stand the blade change. So, I have decided to go with a barrel grip saw with an easier blade change. I am tempted to buy the new Festool Carvex (thanks Eric!). But at $350 I have to pretty realistic. Do I go with the Carvex or maybe the Bosch or God Help Me the Makita barrel grip which has a light and blower. The Bosch is about $280, the Makita is about $180. The Carvex is $350. Any suggestions?

I have a feeling when Milwaukee releases a new jig saw, which i believe is in the next round of releases for 2014, will be fuel, and will also be a barrel grip like the makita, bosch etc, and like the M12 which everyone loves. So if you could hold off, that may be your best bet.

You can't beat the new Festool carvex. Don't get me wrong chase the Milwaukee Fuel jigsaw will be epic, but the Festool is just at another level then all of the other brands. If you plan on getting into the Festool system more Chrisk that's the route I would go because they are so good at Dust collection. If I had the money all my corded tools would probably be Festool for cutting wood.

It depends on who much you are going to use it and is it worth the $350.00 for the saw and $200.00 for the accessories. I have a friend that is a cabinet marker and he has slowly changed all of his tools over to Festool.  He uses his tools every day and he tells me they are well worth it to him but for someone like me the occasional user it is a hefty price to pay.

I really like my Festool track saw.  It glides and plunges as smooth as glass on the track but the cut is no better than my DeWalt that I had.

We had a thread about this several months ago I believe. I decided on the Makita, but just never bought one.

Stay away from the Milwaukee. The power switch is weird and on the wrong side of the saw. It would be hard to shut off in a hurry.

Thanks Travis I will. I am thinking about going all out and getting the Carvex. The review Eric and Dan did really piqued my interest and I figure brushless, totally upgradeable, sounds like maybe I should go there. The Makita is really the only other choice for me as the Bosch is a Hundred dollars more. If I am going to spend the cash I may as we'll go with something that's going to last a lifetime. Besides, my girlfriend told me if I put that sticker on my window I really should have more than ONE Festool otherwise I look like a dork! Hahahahahahaha

• Like 2

There are a few things that are worth it when it comes to Festool. The drills and impact drivers I'm not impressed with regarding the cost but the more woodworking tools are totally worth it. If I wasn't invested in Milwaukee the next brand I would consider is Metabo their tools are pretty dang nice too they have a lot of woodworking type tools but its mostly Metalworking tools that they are known for in the USA. The other problem is the lack of support around for Metabo around me.

The Carvex is really cool if you can budget it.  Has all the features and then some.  Also as Eric, Dan and other people say Festool is a system you buy into.  Not just the tool but the dust extractor, etc.  

I would love to hear about your T55.  Is it the new T55r? Is it worth it?  Is it as precise as they say?  Do you still need a table saw? I have been drooling over the preciseness of it for long time.  

Harold i was thinking, it may be time to trade in the crv for a truck, toyota tacomas are smaller, but you can get them in a quad cab so you can still haul 5-6 people comfortably, you also have the bed space for whatever you need to haul. Has a v6 so you will get pretty good gas mileage for a truck. 

DAMN ERIC AND DAN!!!!! So I go to woodworkers warehouse in Newington yesterday. The T15 drills are on sale (10% off)!!!! What the heck guys, can't a guy not spend all his loose cash on power tools?!?!?!? I'm avoiding that place like the freakin' plague now!