Safety glasses recommendations

Javier

Eye blinding debris loves me so I generally tend to wear safety glasses when I use power tools. I go through a lot of safety glasses and I'm tired of them being junk. Yes I do buy the cheap stuff thats under $2 all the time. They scratch easily and don't survive the tool bag or buckets and end up getting heavily scratched and makes it hard to see clearly

Is there any that can survive harsh storage conditions without breaking the bank? Any suggestions?

Wiley X Javier. I used them on swat several years ago. I have the same pair I've had for nearly 13 years and use them for night driving too (yellow lenses). I have a pair in my wood shop (clear lenses) that I use exclusively for the past 13 years too in the shop. Love them. Awesome glasses. Not cheap but I think they were like fifty bucks but they are good quality distortion free glasses.

I own a high impact pair by dewalt for $10-$12, can't remember model name, but I treat my safety glasses like I do my phone. If you're tossing them in a tool bag/bucket keep buying cheep sets. You'll continue to scratch even the best glasses like that.

Edit:

I almost forgot to recommended mesh glasses like these. http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Safety-Glasses/Goggles/Bugz-Eye-Mesh-Goggles-each.axd

That's what I wore when I was logging. They keep the saw dust, grit, metal shavings out. Fine dust will get in. They will not fog up but I dont think they are high impact rated.

• Like 1

I've been trying to get better Travis, I wear glasses when I remember and a mask too but if have to get a better one with filters. I read a scary article a while ago when an off duty fireman was renovating his house and he hit some really bad mold. Poor guy died a couple of days later from infection.

I own a high impact pair by dewalt for $10-$12, can't remember model name, but I treat my safety glasses like I do my phone. If you're tossing them in a tool bag/bucket keep buying cheep sets. You'll continue to scratch even the best glasses like that.

Edit:

I almost forgot to recommended mesh glasses like these. http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Safety-Glasses/Goggles/Bugz-Eye-Mesh-Goggles-each.axd

That's what I wore when I was logging. They keep the saw dust, grit, metal shavings out. Fine dust will get in. They will not fog up but I dont think they are high impact rated.

The dewalts fit my budget better, I guess I will have to baby my next set of safety glasses

Javier, I am really anal about the care of my eye wear on account of my vision used to be 20/800!!!! I used to wear coke bottles! Anyways LASIK in 2000 and I'm still 20/20 BUT...I keep my sunglasses and work glasses in top shape. I still look at my glasses as investments like Red does. It's amazing how even a cheaper set of eye wear will last. The guys I work with make fun of me because of how I treat them.

When I worked for the utility PPE was no joke we had to have Safety Glasses. gloves, hard hat, vest, Flame Retardant clothing. Then if you went in a manhole we had to put on a pair of FR coveralls and a retrieval harness. I would go through about 30 pairs of safety glass about every other month for my crew. I had the ESS Rx that the company paid for. The glasses that the company would provide where not really cheap. They would buy god knows how many pairs but they would cost you or I about $8 if we had to buy them. A lot of the guys would buy The ESS and have them forevery you just had to take care of them

Javier, I am really anal about the care of my eye wear on account of my vision used to be 20/800!!!! I used to wear coke bottles! Anyways LASIK in 2000 and I'm still 20/20 BUT...I keep my sunglasses and work glasses in top shape. I still look at my glasses as investments like Red does. It's amazing how even a cheaper set of eye wear will last. The guys I work with make fun of me because of how I treat them.

20/800 that sucks. Glad you got it fixed with LASIK. I've always had excellent vision. Dr said I have 20/15 but I think I have 20/10 as I can read the stuff on the 20/10 line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Uvex makes quality safety eyewear and wont completely break the bank. im pretty anal about eye protection myself. Wileyx are very nice but they are also pretty expensive.

3M makes some decent safety glasses that arent crazy expensive either and most manufacturers make safety sunglasses for outside work too.

Javier, I bought some 3m Virtua glasses on Amazon for day qualification and for my shop. Awesome safety glasses, and I paid $8.33. They have a hard foam pad between the lenses / farm and help with fogging. They work awesome and have a crystal clear view.

That reminds me of when I still did appraisals. I came in to the office and an associate's face was all burned up and red. I asked him what happened to your face. He said he was doing some welding without a face mask. I asked him how did he manage to weld without a mask, he said he would position the gun on the work piece and close his eyes as he welded. Lol, that's what your blinking comment reminded me of, Conductor

• Like 1