ToughBuilt Announced StackTech Modular Storage

Jronman

ToughBuilt is launching their own modular storage line called StackTech. It looks to be a direct competitor with Packout and others. Feature wise it looks on par or in some cases better than Packout. It has a single lever release mechanism that also will auto latch when trying to connect items together like Packout. The products with lids have a single latch system even for full width boxes. I am unaware or another modular storage system with a single latch for the lid of full width boxes. The system will initially launch in a month with 8 products and be available at Lowes. I wouldn't be surprised if Menards started carrying the line since they already sell some other ToughBuilt products like the modular toolbelts. This could be huge for Menards because they don't really sell any pro grade modular storage products except maybe a Craftsman box here and there. The initial launch is nothing exciting but 2024 will be quite ambitious. Spring 2024 will see 29 additions to the line, and Summer will see 15 more additions. These are mostly major items like boxes, organizers, etc. throughout the year we will see 15 products listed as StackTech accessories, and the existing ClipTech tool pouch line will also be compatible which has or will have over 50 products. ToughBuilt is advertising there will be over 100 products available in 2024. Toolguyd has a good article on it with more information.

We have some of the boxes and I have to say so far they are great, they really surprised.  Overall the boxes seem rugged and tough.  I like the single lever open and lock.  The latch is big so you not fumbling around.  Not sure but the boxes seem bigger than the Milwaukee.  Attaching them together is extremely easy, maybe even easier than the Milwaukee.  Once they are locked, they seem to hold together well.  Unlocking them is just a lever and you can pull up.  So far very impressive.

The drawer offerings are really good. 7 different options by end of next year. 
Also the transportation options is going to be a good amount too. 4 wheeled transportation products, a towing hitch mount, and a racking system that works in vans. We will also have 4 different coolers, 2 first aid kits, and more.

• Like 1

They look interesting, but I'm curious as to exactly how much of a market is left for yet another modular storage system.  I'm not in the trades anymore, but during my forklift road tech days, it would have been great having just about any of these.  I used to hand carry in a toolbox and make multiple trips out to the truck if I needed something other than basic screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, sockets, and multimeter.  I like the concept of a first aid kit, as I was always cutting or burning myself somehow or another (e.g., cutting off a load wheel support on an electric pallet jack, smelling burning flesh, and seeing my pants were on fire from a piece of slag).  Something like this system would have allowed me to have carried more tools inside whichever large warehouse I was dispatched to, organize my small parts (like contacts and motor brushes) by truck series (Crown RC5000, etc.) in separate boxes to grab and go as needed, and wheel everything to the piece of equipment.  Some places, like Hewlitt-Packard, had a warehouse we could drive into, with a dedicated tech working full-time on site, so if I was dispatched to provide a little extra help it wasn't an issue.  Other places, like Supervalu (formerly Richfood) and Walmart distribution centers, required me to park well outside of the warehouses and check in through security, while still other places let me back up to a loading dock and work out of the back of my truck.

I need to get my current modular storage organized; before landing my retail job I was looking at applying to be an "In-Store Hybrid Field Technician", or whatever they're calling the position now.  Had I done so, or if I decide to apply for that job or a similar position in the future, modular storage will be my go-to.  Admittedly, though, if working for Home Depot, I'd be sure to use the brands they sell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 4:08 PM, Altan said:

Too late and not completed to be able to compete. No brand wants to offer everything, it seems there is a coalition between the brands to not offer a full range, this is what I feel. 

What do you feel is not completed? There might be some items missing like most notably something to compete with Milwaukee's garage packout storage wall system, but to have 100 or more StackTech compatible products available within the first year of launch is quite impressive. Many existing brands don't even have 100 products in their modular storage lineup.

Something similar to DeWALT's large Toughcase+ is missing for tool accessories (1/4" hex shank bits, SDS+ bits, Jigsaw blades), grinder wheels organisers (115mm, 125mm, 150mm, 180mm, 230mm) and etc. I can write two pages if you want, but I can complete my words this way "The brands do look like beautiful girls that do not want to give everything in one go!" What do you think?