DeWalt should produce this tool...

Tim

I came up with this idea for a power tool while watching a professional framer blaze through some cuts. He would rest the board across his foot so it was angled towards him and finish the cut with a circular saw. I use this method as well, but I am a remodel guy so while I do a little framing, I don't do it 24/7. I would need a speed square to make those cuts, this guy on the other hand had linear guide rails for arms. Scary fast, scary accurate.

This is a tool for the rest of us, one that you can drop down anywhere on the jobsite and knock out those cuts with speed and accuracy. Check it out and if you like it, I would really appreciate it if you posted a response at the end of the article. Maybe if there is enough positive feedback DeWalt will pick it up.

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2011/05/tools-action-supports-tool-inventors-innovative-miter-prototype/

Hey Madtec,

Yes, the prototype has both bevel and miter abilities. In fact because the right side of the deck is missing, this saw could have dual bevel capabilities. This is normally not possible with a standard motor configuration since when beveling to the right, the motor would hit the deck.

I should have operated the bevel and miter controls in the video, sorry for the confusion.

fig3a.jpg

Since this is a new concept, I thought it would be a good idea to list several situations where I believe this tool would help us in the field.

1. For remodel or general contractors, this would be a great punch list saw. Where you could easily run it around the house, knocking out those remaining odds and ends and collect that paycheck.

2. On small jobs, where a stationary cut off station would just get in the way or isn't worth the time. This would be the perfect miter saw to throw in the back of the truck.

3. On larger remodel jobs, where as opposed to production framing cut off lengths are anything but standard, this saw would reduce many of those time consuming trips back and forth to the stationary cut off station.

4. For fencing contractors or anyone doing a fence, the horizontal 2x material could be scattered between the posts and knocked out in place with this saw. This also applies when adjusting the fence boards to follow the terrain. Having a portable cut off station that could follow them as they work would be a huge time saver. A cordless version (36V so we can do some real work) would be really nice in this situation.

5. For exterior siding or trim contractors, where setting up a conveniently located stationary cut off station can be difficult and moving it around even more so. This saw could easily follow them around the house.

6. #5 applies even more so to decking contractors, since the length and width of the material they deal with requires a very large and heavy miter saw stand. At 1/10th the size, the capacity of this saw is really only limited by the area around it and could handle a 40 footer if need be.

7. For flooring contractors, this saw could easily follow them up the cut side of the room. where again, a cordless version would really increase their efficiency.

8. For trim contractors working inside, having a independent portable cut off station that could be at their side and move with them as they go from one window or door to the next would benefit these contractors as well.

9. for the DIY user, this would be the perfect miter saw to knock out those small jobs without having to carry around and store a large miter saw stand.

I am sure there are many more situations where having a portable independent cut off station would benefit the user. It has taken alot of work to bring this tool to where it is now, hopefully it will get produced and we will find out. I could use your help though, so if you do like the idea a reply at the end of the toolsinaction article would really help the cause.

Hey Madtec,

Yes, the prototype has both bevel and miter abilities. In fact because the right side of the deck is missing, this saw could have dual bevel capabilities. This is normally not possible with a standard motor configuration since when beveling to the right, the motor would hit the deck.

I should have operated the bevel and miter controls in the video, sorry for the confusion.

fig3a.jpg

just get rid of that red blade, and you have a fan here! nothing worse to a dewalt rep than seeing a red blade in a yellow saw!

Framer, not everyone has your skills with a circular saw. The rest of us need a miter saw to scarf trim, shave boards to fit, make accurate and precise 45 and 90 degree cuts, bevel cuts, etc... For these reasons miter saws certainly do sell and in fact sell quite well. Remember this tool is nothing more than a miter saw, it is just one that doesn't require the user to carry, move around or set up any external accessories (miter saw stand, support blocks, etc...) Which allows it to perform as a self-contained portable cut off station.

Archived