Dewalt Dust Extractor (10 gallon and 12 gallon) Wet/Dry Shop Vac

thegreatgate

Anyone have one of these?

Here is the 10 gallon: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D27905-Gallon-Extractor-Vacuum/dp/B003OINSKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1324259548&sr=1-1

Here is the 12 gallon: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D27904-Gallon-Extractor-Automatic/dp/B003VQLNBU/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1324506421&sr=1-5

There is 1 YouTube video...3 amazon reviews....1 home depot review.....On the entire world wide web!

I was looking for more reviews/thoughts on these vacuums.

I went ahead and bought the 10 gallon today and then decided it was worth it to upgrade to the 12 gallon for $60 more....

Also got the accessories with bag: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D279059-Extractor-Accessory-5-Piece/dp/B004BG3SGW/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

HOW ARE THESE THINGS? I was between the Dewalt and the Fein....

Technical Details

• Powerful 9 Amp motor delivers 129 CFM of airflow for maximum suction.
    Automatic Filter Clean delivers a filter pulse every 15 seconds for continuous operations without stopping to clean filter
    Variable Suction controls vacuum's power consumption and amount of suction
    Power Tool Actuation controls the On/Off operations of the vacuum with a power tool
    Twist-Lock hose connection keeps the hose connected to the tank

Powerful Motor Delivers 129 CFM of Airflow

Powered by a 9 amp motor, the D27905 delivers 129 cfm for maximum suction.The DEWALT D27904 12-Gallon Dust Extractor makes it easy to keep your work space dust-free. Its automatic filter cleaning system delivers a filter pulse every 15 seconds for continuous operation--no need to stop the machine to manually clean the filter--helping to maintain suction power and eliminate fine dust particles.

Efficient Filter System Reduces Interruptions

Rated at 2 microns at 99 percent efficiency, the stock filter works quickly and thoroughly, so you can keep working without interruption. The quick-change filter also allows for easy filter cleaning and changing. When you're operating in wet mode, an electronic water level control ensures consistent performance.

Variable Suction and Automatic Start/Stop for Improved Performance

Responsive and adaptable, the D27904 features Variable Suction which controls the vacuum's power consumption and amount of suction. A Power Tool Actuation controls the start/stop operations of the vacuum with a power tool--when the power tool is shut off , the machine continues to run for 15 seconds to allow all dust to be cleared from the system.

Lightweight and Portable for Job-Site Use

Weighing in at only 32 pounds and featuring reinforced casters, handle, and roll bar, the D27904 is light and portable, yet rugged enough to stand up to the rigors of the job site. A twist-lock hose connection keeps the hose connected to the tank when moving it around a work space.

Warranty Information

The DEWALT D27904 12-Gallon Dust Extractor with Automatic Filter Clean is backed by a limited three-year warranty, 90-day money-back guarantee, and one-year free service contract.

What's in the Box

12 Gallon Dust Extractor, paper filter bag, power tool adapter, and 14-foot crush resistant hose

ONE AMAZON REVIEW ON THE 12-GALLON SO FAR....HERE IT IS:

I'm glad to be the first person to review this product. For anyone who is searching for a high quality dust extractor, search no more. This unit blows festool's product into the weeds.

I searched all over for reviews on this unit, but since it's so new -- I had to bite the bullet and purchase it relatively unseen.

To start: I am a finish carpenter and contractor, and I have developed a distaste for festool's high quality, yet high priced lineup. I was considering switching over to the other side until I found that dewalt made both a tracksaw (excellent unit) and this dust extractor.

Dewalt makes two models, be sure to get the 12 gallon unit that has the integrated filter cleaner (which is the one I purchased).

I use this unit frequently with sanders, miter saws, track saws, table saws, routers, and as a general cleanup tool. The hose is excellently long, and folds up well on top of the unit. The device itself has a 15amp receptacle for whatever tool you're using. Simply flip the switch to automatic, and whenever you turn the tool you're using to the on position, the dust extractor will also turn on. There is a variable suction selector so that you can dial in the appropriate amount, or in the case of limited power on the jobsite, you can dial it down so as not to exceed the circuit you're on.

The hose connection is small, but I tell you -- the suction is unreal. I experience nearly zero dust with an orbital sander and track saw. You will need to get some adapters to make sure you can marry up with whatever tool you're using. This was frustrating for me at first, as I'd like to see some standards.

The automatic filter cleaner is interesting, about every 15 seconds -- you'll hear a loud banging sound. The unit is knocking any dust off the filter when it's doing that. If you use bags, it's not an issue.

Dewalt sells several styles of bags. I use the paper ones, and they work excellent in keeping the unit clean.

Also note that the power cord is long and of high quality.

I completely recommend this unit in place of Festool's excessively expensive lineup.

I have both units, and can say that they are without a doubt the best units in their class.  The only thing that they can not do is be used in high-purity clean rooms.  They are OSHA certified for lead and dust abatment (when used with the HEPA filter and fleece bag), they have auto-on/off feature if desired, and the 12 gallon has the automatic filter purge (helps keep the filter clean).  Also, you can turn down the power in case you are working on an overloaded breaker, so it draws less power.  Very solid units.  

i like the auto start feature.

it seems a bit pricey though.

It is pricey when compared to standard shop vacs, but this is a lot more than that.  It is an OSHA certified abatment/dust containment unit.  If you compare prices to its compititors, it is actually a great deal.

REVIEW:

The vacuum came in the other day and I've had some time to play around with it. Real easy installation.

It has a thumping noise that pulsates every 15 seconds that clears/cleans the filter. It has pretty good suction power. It's quiet. It also has an outlet so I can charge my phone or plug in a radio or plug in another shop vac and run 2 at the same time.

Overall I would say it is really nice. I started it on half power and it seemed to be about as strong as a regular shop vac.

Then on full power it is even stronger. The local car wash has 6 monster vacuums and I went the other day and the car wash vacuum (at this particular place which is practically brand new) seems to have a very slight edge on suction power.

But it does have good power to it.

I would call this an amazing $250 unit....And still good for $300 / $325.....But at the $400 price I paid it is about $100 too expensive.

Even the power cord is nice and thick and feels very industrial...Awesome unit but a little pricey! That's why I bought it as a Xmas present cause I can always find an excuse to spend too much around this time.

It is not priced as a shop vac, but as an abatement vacuum.  It is OSHA certified to clean up asbestos and lead when doing abatement projects, which means that the whole unit has to be built to a much higher standard, with better seals, tighter tolerances, and the ability to put a truly HEPA certified filter on it, making the particulate coming out of it less than .03 microns.  Remember that the competitive units to this are priced at $1000 or higher.  Both of these dust containment units are actually a great value, especially when you compare them to others on the market.  If you are buying it as just a basic shop vac, than you can find significantly cheaper units.  At the end of the day, it is comparing apples and oranges.

Also, that plug in on the vac is for the "auto on/off" function.  Plug in a tool that you are hooking up for dust containment, turn the vac. on, and then press the little button in front of the power button; now when you turn your tool on, it will automatically turn on the vac.  When you turn off the tool, the vac will still run for around 15/20 seconds to keep sucking out the residual dust that may be there.

Also, that plug in on the vac is for the "auto on/off" function.  Plug in a tool that you are hooking up for dust containment, turn the vac. on, and then press the little button in front of the power button; now when you turn your tool on, it will automatically turn on the vac.  When you turn off the tool, the vac will still run for around 15/20 seconds to keep sucking out the residual dust that may be there.

I wish my shop vac had this feature.  I hook up my shop vac for dust collection to my 718 and 745 all the time.  Sometimes I forget to turn on the shop vac during a cut.  I also wish I had a Y splitter because when I am doing flooring or finishing carpentry I set up both tools.  Right now I have remember to attach the hose to the appropriate machine.  Not that it is a super big deal but having to plug and unplug the hose and turn the vac on and off is inefficent and can be cumbersome.  Maybe one day if I have some extra moola I'll pony up for this new unit.

Also, that plug in on the vac is for the "auto on/off" function.  Plug in a tool that you are hooking up for dust containment, turn the vac. on, and then press the little button in front of the power button; now when you turn your tool on, it will automatically turn on the vac.  When you turn off the tool, the vac will still run for around 15/20 seconds to keep sucking out the residual dust that may be there.

I wish my shop vac had this feature.  I hook up my shop vac for dust collection to my 718 and 745 all the time.  Sometimes I forget to turn on the shop vac during a cut.  I also wish I had a Y splitter because when I am doing flooring or finishing carpentry I set up both tools.  Right now I have remember to attach the hose to the appropriate machine.  Not that it is a super big deal but having to plug and unplug the hose and turn the vac on and off is inefficent and can be cumbersome.  Maybe one day if I have some extra moola I'll pony up for this new unit.

It is a really nice feature!

Also, you can probably buy the DeWALT y-splitter (D279056), and if needed, the adapter from 2 1/4 OD to 1 1/2 OD (D279053) if your shop vac has a significantly larger hose (I am not sure what is standard for other vac's).

Archived