DeWalt 20v Max XR, Brushless Lineup Expansion

MR. D

Any info on Dewalt expanding their brushless XR lineup? I hope to see at least a circular saw and sawzall by July, my hope is fading and needs restoration. Someone come with the good news already :P

• Like 1

Same here. I have been waiting for the new xr circular saw to come out. Hope they are not using the dcs373 20v metal cutting circular saw consider their new xr line for circular.. well it is not brushless right?

huh?

Hey guys, Dwain, I think what Yimmi is trying to say is that he is concerned that DeWalt is "pushing" their new circular metal cutting saw (which is not brushless) as a part of the XR bruhless lineup. Which i do not believe is the case myself, although i can see how that could be confusing when you google search for a Dewalt brushless circular saw.

ok. XR does not mean brushless, their entire 20V Max range is 'XR' (for extended runtime). They should have left the XR branding for brushless like Milwuakee did will the 'FUEL' branding.

• Like 1

Yes sir, thanks Mr.D, yes thats exactly what I meant. What I was meaning is hoping they dont mean to push the metal saw out and considering its their new circular saw. I thought it was brushless some how. I'm still trying to do research and see can I switch a wood blade on and use it as a regular circular. So thats for the huh? reply for dwain.

• Like 1

Huh?

ok. XR does not mean brushless, their entire 20V Max range is 'XR' (for extended runtime). They should have left the XR branding for brushless like Milwuakee did will the 'FUEL' branding.

ok. NO. XR stands for Extreme runtime. Brushless motor = XR. Dewalt XR line-up advertising Brushless motor (COOLER RUNNING. MORE EFFICIENT. LONGER RUNTIME.) offering up to 57% more runtime than standard brushed motors with their high capacity battery (MORE CAPACITY. MORE RUNTIME. SAME SIZE.) With 33% more capacity than standard 20V MAX batteries = Extreme runtime. Not sure its other countries brand all their dewalt 20V max tool (XR)? never heard of that! In US, only the Brushless dewalt tools call XR. Not sure did you get confused on the older dewalt 18v xrp(extended runtime performance) xrp were their one step up of tool line for dewalt. their xrp tools are more bad ass than their non xrp line. And they were famous on their xrp battery pack which is the taller black and yellow top case with 2500mah ni-cd cells in it instead of the standard battery pack with 1500mah. Anyway. Dewalt XR is their brushless line for Dewalt as far as I know.

• Like 1

Hey Dwain here are the info. about XR for Dewalt

http://www.dewalt.com/20v-XR-extreme-runtime-brushless-motors

Thanks Yimmi, this link clearly shows DeWalt advertising "XR" as a system of a brushless motor tool PAIRED with high capacity lithium batteries. Any DeWalt TOOL made for use in America  with "XR" branded on it IS brushless. 20v max tools DO NOT have "XR" branding although "XR" tools have 20v max branding, as seen on DeWalts 20v max page, not one item with the letters "XR" on it. Now let me say after clearing this up this topic is not intended for debating semantics it is here to find out when DeWalt will bring some more brushless tools to the table. Take care

the XR branding has been around a lot longer than the brushless tools. I bought my '18v' XR kit way before the first brushless tool came out (dcf895). Maybe it was more referring to the batteries or system than the tools themselves. See here, the 985 pack has XR labelling: http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-drills-drilldrivers-dcd980m2.aspx

the XR branding has been around a lot longer than the brushless tools. I bought my '18v' XR kit way before the first brushless tool came out (dcf895). Maybe it was more referring to the batteries or system than the tools themselves. See here, the 985 pack has XR labelling: http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-drills-drilldrivers-dcd980m2.aspx

Sir, if a DeWalt TOOL (not battery) has "XR" on it, it is brushless. You stand corrected.  If the battery has "XR" on it, it means it is a high capacity lithium battery. I do not see why you continue to debate this when you are clearly confused. XR on a TOOL means it is brushless. SO, like Milwakee has "Fuel" branded on their brushless tools DeWalt has "XR" on their brushless tools. *Cracks open IPA and kicks feet up*

Actually Dwain is correct and surprisingly so are the people arguing with him. Outside of the usa it seems 20v max are called 18v XR even if they are not brushless, take a look at exhibit A which is a dcd785 sold in uk and look at the labeling in the drill itself, it says XR on it and we all know it's not brushless

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/dewalt-dcd785m1-18v-xr-li-ion-2-speed-combi-drill-1-x-4ah-battery-p64378

So Dwain is correct and it's also correct that here in the usa XR is only for brushless tools and the 2.0 and 4.0 batteries

• Like 2

Actually Dwain is correct and surprisingly so are the people arguing with him. Outside of the usa it seems 20v max are called 18v XR even if they are not brushless, take a look at exhibit A which is a dcd785 sold in uk and look at the labeling in the drill itself, it says XR on it and we all know it's not brushless

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/dewalt-dcd785m1-18v-xr-li-ion-2-speed-combi-drill-1-x-4ah-battery-p64378

So Dwain is correct and it's also correct that here in the usa XR is only for brushless tools and the 2.0 and 4.0 batteries

Now both of you are incorrect because this topic is about brushless tools.

And for the record sir, this topic is referring to American tools, not tools in UK or elsewhere. 

Any info on Dewalt expanding their brushless XR lineup? I hope to see at least a circular saw and sawzall by July, my hope is fading and needs restoration. Someone come with the good news already :P

BRUSHLESS XR LINEUP, not 18v European lineup. 

Hey, just want to said not trying to argue or anything here. None of us here knows everything. We are all consumers like to chat and discuss tools here to learn and exchange information on our tools. I thought that is what the tool forums about! There was a topic for me. I'm sharing about with what I know, that's all. if we didn't talk about it. We all wouldn't know!

For myself I learnt and found that in US, only brushless motor calls XR line up. Seems like in Australia 20V max line are same as US 20v max line, came with XR batteries but not the tool( wonder does brushless line has xr on the tool itself.) In UK they branded all theirs dewalt 20V max line to 18V xr, but they still call some of their premium li-ion tools XRP (not sure does the P stand for premium or performance? ) I think its because of they aren't legally allow to brand them 20V max so they just go ahead and brand them 18V XR to marketing the difference on 18V ni-cd and 18V li-ion. It's a little confusing that different countries brand or marketing their dewalt cordless tools very differently. There are something for us to learn. Because TIA is international site not just in US. Lol.... good stuffs;)

It's true, when DeWALT launched their new 18V line here in Europe it was called 18V XR to differentiate it from the older 18V with the stempack batteries.

The US used 20V Max to differentiate it from the older 18V line and only started adding XR for the brushless tools.

They could have just used XR for the brushed tools and RXR for brushless (Really Extreme Runtime) :P

• Like 1

Like Mario from mariokart DS says: take it easy! everyone here is friendly and easy going and just about every topic gets off topic. Don't be surprised if this topic ends up talking about farting or dancing guys wearing chinos or even a cordless pop rivet gun or why ryobi is the best brand on the planet

• Like 1

Bahhh, we're all stubborn men contemplating the difference of tool branding and i love it. Yimmi or anyone else with the US XR tools, i have been thinking about getting milwakee brushless tools (m18) to complete my brushless kit while keeping my dewalt drill and impact driver and adding the DeWalt multitool. So three Dewalt tools, and the rest milwakee, all brushless. Does anyone see why this would be a horribly bad idea considering im already invested into the best impact driver and drill on the market and i want a complete brushless kit? yall come back now ya hear

As others have said, its a discussion forum! We're here to discuss (there's not much else to do on a forum!).

Yes, here in Aus (like Europe) our tools and batteries are branded 18V XR. The confusion is Dewalt's fault ;)

I have Dewalt and Bosch 18V platforms and love being able to choose the best from both lineups. I flirted with getting Milwaukee also, but decided that was the path that lead to madness...

If I was starting from scratch, given Milwaukee's cracking lineup, I'd personally have them and then have to choose between Dewalt and Bosch, and it would be hard!

• Like 1