What has Conductor been up to? - Proto Bliss

Conductor562

Man, I've been super busy. I spent last weekend working outside. I mowed and trimmed for the first time this year on Friday and spent Saturday putting up a huge wooden gym set for the kids. I left for Florida to negotiate a new contract early Sunday and came home on Thursday.

This weekend I helped Dad build a picnic shelter on Saturday, did all the Easter stuff on Sunday, and took a PL Day today to put up all new exterior light fixtures (10 of them) and assemble the tramboline the kids got for Easter. Still have a ton of work to do!

In the middle of all this the 19th was my 31st birthday. A UPS truck pulled up dropped off a couple of boxes, and left. I tore them open to find several Proto and Blackhawk items. These were the tools Proto donated as a tool sponsorship for my kids ATV race team.

They provided several great tools including sockets, ratchets, locking extensions, ratcheting wrenches, torque wrenches, crowfoot wrenches, hammers, pliers, and my favorite of all, a J4290B Standard puller set.

If you've ever used a Proto puller set you know there is just something about them that you can't help but love. Proto's puller system is fully interchangeable. This particular set makes over 20 different pullers in various set ups and included 2 and 3 jaw standard, balancer, and hub yokes, various length arms, comes, bearing/gear separator, 2.5 and 5 lb slide hammers with short and long shafts, blind bearing end, and many more. My personal favorite is the cone style. The quick pins make assembly a snap. Much better than bolts.

You can add parts as needed to create dozens of configurations. Add this to the 2 way straight yoke Protoeaze puller I already had and I feel confident that if I can't pull it, I don't know what the hell it is.

It isn't everyday I get all hot and bothered by a tool, but I did today. I wanted to put it under my bed, but Mrs. Conductor was having none of that.

post-515-0-42676800-1398148020_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-61300800-1398148095_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-21354800-1398148124_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-67176300-1398148156_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-34573800-1398148187_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the birthday wishes guys.

Nick: This is a 6 Ton kit. I can't imagine needing any more than that in an automotive/small engine/light equipment application. It's lifetime warranty, so no worries. What type/brand puller did you strip out?

NC Fordguy: The case is pretty big. I haven't tried it yet, but I doubt any of the drawers in my 44" Craftsman will hold it.

BK: No, they are proud of them, but I suppose they should be. They have a smaller set as well. I found this set as low as $425. When you consider that most individual pullers run in the $125 to $150 range, buying into the system is the way to go.

You can also get the 4289B set with 4 less pieces for $100 less. It has everything except the pieces highlighted in red on the part list pictured above.

These set are the kind of thing you snag on cyber Monday for 30-40% off and giggle like a school girl about.

Nick: what type of puller was it? Jaw, balancer, wheel, etc.

Here's my 2 way straight jaw Proto-Ease puller

post-515-0-22521200-1398223984_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-64565100-1398224029_thumb.jpg

I also did a little research into the threading on the forcing shaft on good pullers versus cheaper pullers. Proto uses a different thread design called a "Rolled Acme Thread" that is supposedly more durable than the standard threading found on cheaper pullers

post-515-0-50368000-1398224260_thumb.jpg

If you do any serious pulling I think it would be worth investing in a good set like Proto, Snap-On, or similar.

So how often do you get requests for people asking to work on cars at your place Conductor? You can't really tell most people in person about a collection like this they either want to do the work at your place or borrow stuff.

I get request here and there to use the shop which usually means I'm doing the work. Mrs. Conductor volunteers me for shit every now and then as well.

Borrow my tools :lol: Not a chance outside of a select couple of guys that understand my deep appreciation for my tools and equipment. I have enough stuff to typically loan out a beater that I'm not going to need therapy to deal with the loss of.

Of course now that I'm dropping impacts off rooftops I suppose I don't have much room to talk :(

• Like 2

BK: No, they are proud of them, but I suppose they should be. They have a smaller set as well. I found this set as low as $425. When you consider that most individual pullers run in the $125 to $150 range, buying into the system is the way to go.

You can also get the 4289B set with 4 less pieces for $100 less. It has everything except the pieces highlighted in red on the part list pictured above.

These set are the kind of thing you snag on cyber Monday for 30-40% off and giggle like a school girl about.

Nick: what type of puller was it? Jaw, balancer, wheel, etc.

I'm not saying it's unreasonable, just that I'd have to save for a little while before I spring for it...

Then again, the ain't exactly giving away the Snappy ball joint press, either.