New Kobalt made in USA screwdrivers.

NicholasShetley

It appears that Kobalt has released a new line of screwdrivers that are made in USA with foreign and domestic parts. They don't have many out now but seem decent and have a metal cap on the end. They are nearly $10 each and they have a five peice set for $20. Here is the article on toolguyd.

http://toolguyd.com/kobalt-screwdrivers-2014/

• 4 months later...

Never been a huge fan of Kobalt tools and I cant even tell you exactly why. Ive never had a bad experience with one. Maybe its the color scheme lol. I buy them mainly because Lowes gives a 10% military discount which is awesome. I wish Menards would do the same. The only time I get something at Menards Its because Lowes didn't have it. C'mon Menards get your act together. Its not that I think I am entitled to a discount I would just like to see them get involved in appreciating what our nation's young men and women have sacrificed for this great country to we can continue to shop and buy items labled "made in America"

Back in 98 (I was 15) my dad bought me a nice assortment of Kobalt tools. They were brand new to the market and were recommended to him by the Snap-On driver that frequented my neighbors body shop.

They were made by J.H. Williams (Snap-On's industrial arm) and were fantastic tools. Head and shoulders above any of the Danaher made Craftsman offerings of the time.

By early 2003 Lowe's changed suppliers and began sourcing from Danaher meaning most of their offerings were identical to what was available through Sears Craftsman or Menard's Allen brand. I stuck with Kobalt up until around 2007-08 when I started buying Proto/Blackhawk almost exclusively.

By 2012 Kobalt had transitioned primarily to Taiwan made tools sourced from a company called Rotar. Not bad stuff at all, but I'm just not satisfied with it. I can tolerate the occasional Asian item, but not exclusively.

It's sad because for the 5 year span from 1998-2002, Kobalt was the best deal in tools. I still have almost all of them in regular service 16 years later and the sockets, which were nearly indistinguishable from the Snap-On sockets at the time, are still among the best I've used.

• Like 1

When I started working at the shop in 2007 I was introduced right away to the big boys at the time snap on cornwell and matco so I was brain washed for awhile thinking they were the only tools u have but now that has changed a lot but I still don't own any kobalt tools ,it's great that there starting to bring back good ol USA made tools!!

• 3 weeks later...

My wife gave me the Kobalt Double Drive screwdriver for christmas a couple of years ago. I kind a though of it as a gimmick tool, but I have admit I use the thing all the time.

I had the same impression at first, but like you, the gimmick aspect faded over time.

• 4 weeks later...

Checked these out the other day at lowes, perhaps you all can shed some light.

The multi piece set is labeled made in China.  The individual screwdrivers are labeled made in USA with global components.  The individual screwdrivers and the ones in the set share the same part numbers.  WTF??

Seeing something similar with wrench sets with the same numbers with both made in China and Made in Taiwan.