Dewalt track vs Sherlock Holmes

Kenneth Denmark

Now that IS stupid. They do have a rip fence that attaches on both the front and back, but it's exclusively for their wormdrive saw which you can't get outside the US.

It wouldn't fit. The bars on the Festool seem circular. The one you linked are rectangular.

Freakin' nice saw though!

Last time I spoke with Jules he tossed the idea of taking one back home with him when he was on holiday in the US.

Don't know if he did...

+ I would like to see a rip fence like that on regular circular saws. Much more stable than those flimsy ones that attaches only at the front.

• Like 1

Perhaps they incorporated the feature on the saw only to decide later to come out with a rip fence or not, based on demand...

that is probably the answer.... or in a future release have the fence as an option.....

Don't forget the blades are different dano! If u manage to snag a it on a nail and bugger the blade up,

Chances are your not going to be able to nip down to your local hardware store and pic another up..not without them ordering one in and waiting a few weeks anyway!

True. I thought you could easily bypass this by changing out the inner clamp washer/flange, but on the wormdrive it's different than on sidewinders. You'd have to go see a metalworker with a cnc machine and make a new one that accepts 30mm bore size. The wormdrive has a diamond shaped arbor.

Or buy a bunch of blades from the US and resharpen them till they gone (and hope you're not hitting nails) ;)

• Like 1

I never knew that about the blades, lucky I never ordered one. I would just have to buy them in bulk.

At the moment for framing I'm using the new thin framing blades on my circular saw, these blades are great they are so fast, cheap also so need to re sharper just buy new.

I got a few pics of my plunge saw today with the rail from one my routers in this bracket bit on the plunge saw, it fitted perfectly as did one from a festool router, I took the clips off of the festool router but couldn't make it fit.

Does anyone know the centres of the festool rip fence or the dewalt worm drive fence.

I'll post pics up now

This is the 'Official' line for the Product Manager of the Saw...

The highlighted area of the tool on the photo below is as you said for a parallel side fence, DEWALT don’t actually make a fence but it will take the Festool parallel side fence that fits their TS 55

So you Guys are exactly right.... 

• Like 2

Got the Festool PA-TS55 today. I can confirm it fits and it fits like a glove I must say.

It doesn't have zero clearance ofcourse. You can see it in the pictures. However, on the front rod there's a plastic tube. You can cut this off to create near zero clearance if you want to. Not really needed though.

Just like on the Festool TS55, you can flip the rip fence over and it then sits flush with the base of the saw, creating a wider base for more stability.

If you happen to use the DWS520 on a Festool (or similar track) and not DeWALT's, you might need to file off a fraction of the bolts as the heads stick out underneath in the 2nd groove on the baseplate. See last picture. Not sure if it would interfere with the track......but it's an easy fix.

Here are the pics...

PA-TS55.JPG

DWS520%2BPA-TS55%201.JPG

DWS520%2BPA-TS55%202.JPG

DWS520%2BPA-TS55%203.JPG

DWS520%2BPA-TS55%204.JPG

DWS520%2BPA-TS55%205.JPG

DWS520%2BPA-TS55%206.JPG

DWS520%2BPA-TS55%207.JPG

• Like 2

That's awesome. U know it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer add a feature, for future add ons. I had an old sega genisis, that they later added sega cd to. The ports were there just plug and play. Maybe dewalt knew the answer but we're tight lipped, so as not reveal future products.

• Like 1

Future product? I don't think so to be honest. The tracksaw was launched in 2008. It's almost 2015 now.

A bit long for something simple as a rip fence. I think there is no/not enough demand for more accessories for the tracksaw as there's nothing new added since. Couldn't think of any.

Would be nice to see an updated version where it's easier to change the blade (locking the saw in the down position) and Airlock connector.

But one thing I would really like, I don't know if Festool has it, but Mafell does, is when you cut angles. At 90degrees the blade is flush with the splinter strip, but cutting a 45 angle it will move approx 3mm away. Now you can use the tracks on both sides and have dedicated sides for 90 and angled cuts, but it would be better if the saw moved in such a way that it always meets the antisplinter strip regardless of the angle. A benefit is when you mess up one strip, you can still use the other side of the track.