Radar Scanner is back!

RickyMcGrath

It made sense earlier when Dewalt was really into their 12v line, but now the tools are not really being updated anymore as Dewalt says multiple times that there isn't enough interest. I think Milwaukee with the she shear volume of 12v was going to be a tough nut to crack. I really love the concept of 12v tool with some balls. My only complaint is the fact that the M12 drills are a tad large and heavy. They should offer a more compact size like Dewalt. Also is your finger healing up well Frain?

Yeah it's alright to be honest Dr99,still hurts but thats to be expected,managing to get back to work Monday,won't be able to get back to joinery so there letting me just take it easy driving about dropping stuff off for the lads on site and stuff,I'm happy as il still be bringing a wage in...

• Like 1

Really Rick what did she say?

She didn't say much.

She was hesitant as if she was choosing her words VERY CAREFULLY.

She emphasized how you have to pre-scan the wall first and that there are so many unknowns as to how that wall could have been assembled.

Now, she did tell me that the cost increase is due to new parts. So, maybe upgraded sensory parts?

I got the new scanner in the mail last week. It asks you what type of wall you'll be scanning (Residential Wood/Commercial Metal) it helps with the accuracy. It also does a better job of explaining what you may be finding behind the wall. It may show a wood stud and show a magnet if there may be a nail plate or screw. Plastic could be a low voltage wire, PVC, or plastic electrical box. Ferrous and Non Ferrous metals still show up. Still has the electric symbol if it finds a live wire. 

Anyway, I scanned my wall and it seemed to work pretty well.

I got the new scanner in the mail last week. It asks you what type of wall you'll be scanning (Residential Wood/Commercial Metal) it helps with the accuracy. It also does a better job of explaining what you may be finding behind the wall. It may show a wood stud and show a magnet if there may be a nail plate or screw. Plastic could be a low voltage wire, PVC, or plastic electrical box. Ferrous and Non Ferrous metals still show up. Still has the electric symbol if it finds a live wire.

Anyway, I scanned my wall and it seemed to work pretty well.

Did you have any experience with the first version?

It sounds like you are leaning towards recommending the product?

Lets face it when is a woman ever going to get passionate about a tools..There a different breed! Haha..

Im reserving judgment till the reviews start pouring out...

lol.....my wife and I were in HD the other day and I spotted the Milwaukee rep about a half an isle away I told my wife to go ask him when the M18 5.0 battery will be on the shelves.........so she goes right up to the guy and asks......I was at the check out by then and asked her what he say? she says the guy just said soon.......so I said what is the peak RPM of the 7 1/4" Fuel circular saw and he.....paused and said I will have to check that......so then she says oh.......so I guess soon for the first answer was a I don't know answer.......she says the rep just looked at her funny as she walked away......my point is my wife is passionate about tools because I am.......

Did you have any experience with the first version?

It sounds like you are leaning towards recommending the product?

I did, my old one may have been even worse than the ones to hit the shelves initially, because it was given to me before it's release.

If you need to see what is behind a wall I would recommend it. If you're just looking for wood studs to hang something it is probably a little over kill. I'd also go into it knowing that it's not going to be full proof. If it detects plastic, it may be a pipe, electrical box, or low voltage/no voltage wire. You need to scan multiple times (vertically/horizontally below/above) if you're really trying to get an idea of what is in there if you run into something that you're not sure what it is.  

• 2 months later...

I finally dove in and ordered one. It will be delivered tomorrow based on shipment tracking. We shall see. I'm not seeing very many reviews or any feedback anywhere so I'm not sure if these just aren't selling due to the previous failure or if people aren't providing feedback.

Maybe the old adage, "no news is good news" will apply?