ohhhhhhhboy! 5.0 is here :)

ChrisK

This kind of stuff makes me angry because power tool companies don't get there head in the game when it comes to new batteries these new 5 amp lithium ion packs have 10 cells inside them, the style of batteries are standard Lithium ion 18650 cells and the packs have 2500mAh cells each wired in 2 pairs in series this makes them turn out 5000mAh or 5 amps but already on the market are 3400mAh batteries witch could be used to make 6.8 amp batteries power tool batteries.

And these batteries are getting more expensive as Telsla motors is driving up the price of 18650 batteries because they use 7000 of them in each Model S and they have a goal of making 40,000 cars over this year using up 30-40% of the 18650 Lithium ion cells produced this year.

Go figure....a bunch of crooning pansies in their lithium ion powered cars putting power tool owners in jeopardy.

Well Tesla is making a factory that they expect to open in 2017 that will make enough lithium batteries to make 500,000 cars a year that will increase the amount of lithium batteries produced in the world every year by around 4 times.

• Like 2

To me it doesn't make much sense to keep going bigger on the ah's until the get the charge times down without compromising the cells.

At 6.0 we're up around what? 2:00-2:15?

I know Milwaukee is working on that with that new supercharger they showed off an the product symposium. From what I remember you can charge faster when the battery is empty than when the pack is full. I'm just curious about Milwaukee's heat management It would be cool to compare all the new 5.0ah packs under a FLIR camera to see which packs dissipate heat the quickest

• Like 1

To me it doesn't make much sense to keep going bigger on the ah's until the get the charge times down without compromising the cells.

At 6.0 we're up around what? 2:00-2:15?

I want one or more of the new batteries, but realistically, unless I get more torque out of an impact wrench, I wouldn't get a lot of benefit. But I'm sure guys who use their tools all day, every day will...

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to see the market moving further ahead, but I'm with Conductor on this one. Charging my 4.0s already seems to take forever. The cost at this point for 5.0 is prohibitive to me as well. From the research I've done it seems for the extra 25% aH I have to pay 60% more (again this is my personal experience, list prices aren't as different on them). For me, I'd rather have more 4.0s to use where they are needed than fewer 5.0s, and have one die on me when my other batteries are in use already. I suppose this ties into the "how many batteries are necessary" topic, and I'm sure the new multi charger will help with this problem.

I just received my 5.0 batteries today and was surprised that they are real close to the same size as my XC's, i really thought they would be larger. They seem to weigh alittle bit more but not much more.

They are the same 10 18650 style batteries on the inside just a higher number of moles of lithium anode and more of the material that makes the cathode inside it.