To buy or not to buy?

RobertMcNjr

I am torn, I really want to get the DC618K 18V Cordless XRP™ 1-1/4" - 2-1/2" 16 Gauge 20° Angled Finish

Nailer Kit. However, I am already invested in a good majority of the 20v tool line. I can't find information on whether or not Dewalt is working on a 20v Finish/Trim gun line up and if they are when are they coming out?

So, wondering if I should just go ahead and invest in the DC618k or wait for the 20v's. What would you all do? I don't really need it asap, I would just love the convenience of having a Cordless Trim gun since I have gotten used to lugging around the Dewalt cordless Framing Nailer, really nice not having to get the compressor out and air hose for small jobs or punch list work.

Anything Dewalt 18V XRP is the old stem pack style battery. There were some leaked photo's here of a prototype nailer here a few weeks ago but the photo was removed from the hosting site pretty quick. Dan and Eric can't really comment directly because of product embargo. Unless you really need it soon I would wait. You could sell the 18v gun to recoup some of your money but you know getting all of it back is tough.

If you REALLY need it, DeWalt does offer a 90 day $ back guarantee on all their tools. Lowes & Home Depot also have 90 day return policies. It may not be the most ethical thing to do, but it is an option. You weren't satisfied because they released a new updated model.

I don't see the 20v nailer coming available until mid to late 2015.

new products / new releases;

just "hold back" a few more weeks !

one of the worlds biggest construction fairs / trade shows  will be in Mid January2015 in Munich Germany;

my home town

All the "big shots" from marketing and product managers will be there

so some official talks and very inofficial info will be available

Dewalt is "under pressure" for the show to have brochures / flyers  and catalogs available 

normally things like this only pop up in Feb or sometime in Q1;

example: the dch274 will already be available in Jan in the UK, but only in Aprli in Germany

hint:

on the horizon, but very unofficial 

cordless mitre saw (lab testing, etc. going on)

cordless caulking gun

cordless finishing nailer

cordless drywall gun (dcf620 Q1 2015, pictures and info  is already out)

and secrects they would kill me for !

cheers 

mike

So I emailed Dewalt about a 20v Finish Nailer and this is what they told me...

Hi Robert, 

Thank you for contacting us.

We are in the process of expanding our 20v product line however at this time we do not have a definite date as to when a 20v finish nailer will be introduced.

In case this email does not fully answer your question, or you would like to contact us for any reason, simply reply to this email.

Thank you,
Jeffrey
DEWALT Customer Care
Visit us online at http://www.dewalt.com

ref:_00D80MUtZ._500C0i3J9K:ref

I may give in and go ahead and purchase the 18v version for now.

From research I've done, the Dewalt cordless seems to be the best. With Paslode you have the additional cost of the fuel cells and the fumes so with that in mind. I lean towards Dewalt. I have also played around with a Paslode that a fellow carpenter friend of mine owns but even he says that I should buy a Dewalt if I'm going for a cordless trim gun.

From research I've done, the Dewalt cordless seems to be the best. With Paslode you have the additional cost of the fuel cells and the fumes so with that in mind. I lean towards Dewalt. I have also played around with a Paslode that a fellow carpenter friend of mine owns but even he says that I should buy a Dewalt if I'm going for a cordless trim gun.

cool, sounds like you have done your research

I love my Paslodes. I have two finish guns, the DuoFast (same company) framer, and a paslode roofing gun. Very nice guns all around.

How do you like the roofer? Today I'm wrapping up a 59 Sq roof and would have loved not wrestling air hoses and listening to my gas compressor the whole time

they aren't really production guns though, are they?

How do you like the roofer? Today I'm wrapping up a 59 Sq roof and would have loved not wrestling air hoses and listening to my gas compressor the whole time

they aren't really production guns though, are they?

I have talked to a few roofers about the paslode they all say the same thing. Great for a patch job or a few sq's. You use a lot of gas doing a larger roof making it cost prohibitive and in the winter a lot of misfires due to cold gas.

I think if Dewalt ever made a cordless roofing nailer it would be pretty popular. More so that the the Paslode. I think you could shoot a good number of nails off a 4.0 battery because roofing nails are shorter than framing nails. That's one thing that Milwaukee seems to be able to do is bring tools to market quicker than any of the other brands. It's freaking crazy that Dewalt still hasn't released 20v trim nailers.

I currently have a paslode but next time Ild go bostich as it's slightly cheaper an ice heard good things..

A lad I worked with had the dewalt nailer your talking about..he ended up hitting a drywall scre whilst fixing skirting..its sat at the back of our office now as it can't be fixed apparently..I can't seem why??

I have talked to a few roofers about the paslode they all say the same thing. Great for a patch job or a few sq's. You use a lot of gas doing a larger roof making it cost prohibitive and in the winter a lot of misfires due to cold gas.

The latest paslode is meant to fix the cold gas issue out