TV Wall Mount Leveling Made Easy

Scoszko

I visited an in-laws apartment this weekend and noticed her new wall mounted flat screen tv was a little off. Turns out, she had gotten a wall mount that came with a handy level built in. Great! It wasn't until after the tv was hung that they discovered the built in level was not actually level so the tv drops over a quarter of an inch to the one side. As a perfectionist, this would drive me nuts looking at it everyday. I guess this goes under the adage - Measure twice, cut once. I believe the wall mount was made by Level Mount which has a good rating on amazon, but if you read the reviews says don't trust the level.

Composite.jpgOn Wednesday, June 27 2012, a detached home on Maria Street in the Junction area of West Toronto suddenly sank on one side, coming within a foot or so of colliding with the house next door. The basement of the house was being lowered by underpinning the foundation when something went terribly wrong (exactly what may never be known) and the foundation abruptly shifted downward. The underpinning was apparently being done by FBR Waterproofing, as they had a sign on the front lawn.

The City’s building department quickly evaluated the situation and decided that the only safe approach was to completely demolish the building. By late Friday there was nothing left of the house but a pile of rubble.

The owners of the home, a couple with a young child, bought the house for $555,063 less than a year ago. It was purchased in a bidding war (the selling price was more than $50,000 over the asking price), and the extra $63 was undoubtedly (and ironically) added for luck to help them be the winning bid.

Because the structure was unsafe and might collapse further at any time, the owners were not allowed to enter the house to retrieve their belongings before the demolition began. The house was taken apart as carefully as possible, and many items were salvaged, but still the loss was devastating.

cut quarter inch off the couch legs on the low side......

Hahaha, I will have to recommend this. I wasn't there during installation and just saw the aftermath.

That West Toronto house is a tough loss. I couldn't imagine dropping $555,000 on a house to have it collapse in less than a year. I could only imagine the lawyering and insurance costs that are going to pile up.

Composite.jpgOn Wednesday, June 27 2012, a detached home on Maria Street in the Junction area of West Toronto suddenly sank on one side, coming within a foot or so of colliding with the house next door. The basement of the house was being lowered by underpinning the foundation when something went terribly wrong (exactly what may never be known) and the foundation abruptly shifted downward. The underpinning was apparently being done by FBR Waterproofing, as they had a sign on the front lawn.

The City’s building department quickly evaluated the situation and decided that the only safe approach was to completely demolish the building. By late Friday there was nothing left of the house but a pile of rubble.

The owners of the home, a couple with a young child, bought the house for $555,063 less than a year ago. It was purchased in a bidding war (the selling price was more than $50,000 over the asking price), and the extra $63 was undoubtedly (and ironically) added for luck to help them be the winning bid.

Because the structure was unsafe and might collapse further at any time, the owners were not allowed to enter the house to retrieve their belongings before the demolition began. The house was taken apart as carefully as possible, and many items were salvaged, but still the loss was devastating.

I don't think that I would want a waterproofing company underpinning my foundation. So much could go wrong and by the looks of it it did. I have done a few of these and I brought in a foundation company to do it. It is a very time consuming project and even though I wasn't doing the work my nerves where on edge. 

• 4 months later...