12v: Bosch vs. Milwaukee

BK13

Does anybody have both brands of 12v tools they could hang a pic of? I love my M12 stuff, but it's not much smaller in comparison to the M18 tools. I'm just wondering if the Bosch stuff is enough smaller to justify another (!$&@#%+¥£€!) battery platform.

BK, I ised to have the Bosch 12v line but switched to Milwaukee because the lineup was better. I had the compact hammer drill and an impact gun. Awesome tools. Super compact, plenty of power. No Bosch is stepping up the platform with saws and all sort of tools. They've added brushless too. I'd consider it if you want a compact tool line up. I have the Fuel impact and Hackzall and the multiple and love these guys for the power and run time but Bosch is picking themselves up and pushing forward with some really innovative tools.

I chose the Bosch 12v line. They are compact and powerful. I have the drill, impact, jigsaw, LED light, & vac. I hope to add the drywall screwgun. It is true that the M12 line has more tools, but you have to be honest with yourself in what tools you need and will use.  

• Like 1

MM: I have gone to Lowes, and I have drooled... just not over the new brushless stuff. Grrr.

Not really looking to replace, more like my life isn't complicated enough, and I'm looking at maybe adding more stuff, just what I need...

I wonder if Lowes would freak out if I brought in a couple of my M12 tools for a quick comparo...

I would do it. Just make sure to tell the front desk so they don't think you swiped it...lol! Honestly I got into the 12v line initially because of a sale. I got the impact & drill for $129. I have since bought another set like that and so did my partner.

MM: I have gone to Lowes, and I have drooled... just not over the new brushless stuff. Grrr.

Not really looking to replace, more like my life isn't complicated enough, and I'm looking at maybe adding more stuff, just what I need...

I wonder if Lowes would freak out if I brought in a couple of my M12 tools for a quick comparo...

yeah if i run Bosch's 12V line, then i buy the brushless models.

PS22 1/4" hex drill/driver

PS32 3/8" chuck drill/driver

PS42 impactor (not available in states - lets say: not yet)

i really want to get 2 of those in a kit, that would be awesome instead of buying them separate.... 

there are more 12V tools on the way to us - so lean back and wait.... if someone cant wait....then go team red or so :P

i have patience haha

I chose the Bosch 12v line. They are compact and powerful. I have the drill, impact, jigsaw, LED light, & vac. I hope to add the drywall screwgun. It is true that the M12 line has more tools, but you have to be honest with yourself in what tools you need and will use.  

im really excited for the 12V drywall screwgun....i rather buy that one instead of the 18V version.

as soon as it hits the market in germany, i get one....if you want i can order 2 kits and my brother will send those over.

They shouldn't care as its a brand Lowes don't even carry, but like overanalyze mentioned just asking would help smooth any potential issues over

i would do the same....ask before you walk in with your stuff....otherwise you might get some nice wrist jewelry  :P :P

At least security wouldn't jump you when you walk out of the store with them! Of course that's assuming the associates are bright enough to know they don't sell red tools.

Bosch doesn't even strike my mind, I mostly use the basic items that all companies offer but the chance I might need somthing else m12 offers is a game changer. Bare tool pick ups are the shit. And everything for the most part has been 4 to 5 stars in my eyes. Plus I rock the m18 and use the dual charger for both platforms and the company I work for which is a huge company uses them aswell so all around I'm seeing red.

For now I've got two Bosch 12v tools.....the FL12 light (Awesome....comparable to my Syslite) and the new vac which is decent, cleans up around my Kapex and MFT but it's not a powerhouse. I like my Bosch 12v just fine but the three tools I have from the M12 line do me just fine!

i cant work without my bosch tools :P

but i dont have any 12v tools yet....i just stocked up the 18V line with brushless models.

as soon as we see 12v brushless, i go for it...and they have to come in a kit.

the other items like flashlight, vacuum, jacket etc....i might get that those one day.

the 18V GLI VariLED will join soon my family :P

I've got a small handful of M12 (2403, 2453, 2520, stick light). It seems like Milwaukee cares more about spec sheet numbers than compact sizing (with the Fuel models at least). The hackzall is a nice compact unit. The impact driver is realstically the same as the 2654 (slightly longer in fact) with less weight hanging off the bottom. The drill/driver is noticeably lighter than the m18 but only moderately more compact. Most of the savings in weight and size stems from having a smaller battery hanging off the tail end of the tool it seems to me (and likely more plastic in the build). Still very happy with the M12s though, but since I already have the M18s for the big jobs it would have been nice to see how small they could go with M12.

I have used the Bosch 12v drill a few times and I thought it was pretty nice. It was brushed but it di the job that I needed it to do. For the most part I think the two brands are decently comparable with their drills and what not. Also, I am pretty sure that Bosch makes a 12V recip saw that looks just like Milwaukee's Hackzall....?

FB82

Yeah, I think so.

Probably I would just get the drill and impact driver if I take the plunge... Just because those are the only tools that I could envision needing something smaller than my M12 stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the new "bosch 12v" (10,8v GSR EC) with 2,5AH batteries. I think the size is perfect and a very good tool to accompany the largest 18V/20V drills. (I have the XPH07)

The Bosch is powerfull enough for medium powerfull jobs, but the smal size is whats limits its use. Your wrist is working a lot more if you try the heavier jobs on it (RPM drops low) A bit worried the lack of/slow current limiter will burn the motor. Or I'm just used to the aggressive Makita current limiter (Which I like btw). That cuts of power before the motor starts struggling.

Only real complaint is the chuck, which is not rachething nor metal. Not a big problem for such a smal drill, but yeah.

Bottom line is that I love the combo with a strong 18v drill and a very compact 12v.

I bought into the Bosch 12v line before the brushless stuff came along. If my brushed ones ever die,they will defo be replaced with brushless.

For a DIY guy like me doing things around the house the 12v stuff is great,especially when you have little ones and need to get their stuff together asap. The compactness and power for the size are what really attracted me to the Bosch line. I am looking forward to adding to my 12v stuff one of these days,i want the 12v sawzall for sure.   I also use the porter cable 20v series for when the 12v isnt enough.

It's meant to be as compact and light as possible. And a couple of sacrifices is necessary. But yeah, the milwaukee looks pretty sweat. Although the M12 hammer drill is huge in comparrison. 

I don't even need a screwdriver any longer for smal screws around the house, fixing the scooter and when building computers. Team red might (?) be a bit to big for such work. 

I think it's really what you find comfortable Andrull. I've got the M12 Fuel Hackzall and Impact gun plus two 4.0 batteries and two 2.0 batteries. The Fuel impact is nice and compact but that Bosch impact is even more compact and has a tremendous amount of power. I got my little brother one for his job and he loves it. Super durable and well built. So really, Milwaukee and Bosch boil down to size. Quality ain't an issue. I love my Milwaukee tools but I love my Bosch tools just as much and when it comes to my 18v impact IDH182 there is no comparison, my Bosch is the cats meow!

As a pro, Milwaukee is the clear choice, what with the amount of tools in that line that they have available, especially brushless. I love the Bosch corded tools that I own, and am sorry to see Bosch so far behind on cordless.

And I'm not a Milwaukee fanboy - they just had the most extensive and best-fitting line for my trade at the time I was needing an upgrade. If I were a carpenter looking to upgrade my 18v stuff, it'd be more likely Makita, or maybe DeWalt.