new Festool HKC-55 18V cordless cross-cutting circular saw

Mr. Yellow

They e got the cordless TS over in you neck of the woods but boy oh boy does this look like a Mafell! I'd like to see if it comes over this way. Honestly though in my case, aside from my CXS and T18 drills, cordless isn't really my thing with them as I want the DC and the machines are powered by the DC unit to begin with. Nice find Mr. Yellow!

Mr Yellow is correct, this is nothing new. Mafell have been making these for 25 years now.

MAFELL%2025%20Jahre%20KSS.jpg

They offer  3 corded versions and the KSS400 variant has been for sale in cordless for over 10 years now.

KSS400 36v

918401gboeoo2.jpg

KSS300 (depth of cut 40mm)

kss-300-gd.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRxUuHKTZiU

KSS400 (depth of cut 55mm)

inovation-2004.jpg

https://youtu.be/9TCOE3IbBAc

KSS80 (depth of cut 85mm)

184095_0.jpg

https://youtu.be/3-VCI4miQeI

Just wanted to set the record straight and point out that Festool didn't invent anything new or groundbreaking here.

Which makes sense as Mafell makes the Bosch rails for their track saw. Cross breeding ain't new though, Mafell made the Festool OF2000 router when it was in service for Festool. It was discontinued but it is still a much sought after router.mand a lot cheaper than buying a Mafell router.

This definitely looks like a cool saw and i could see it having a place for some applications where precision mattered a little more but i couldn't see it replacing a regular circular saw for me.. too bulky.    exterior trim this would be great but things like framing i think it would just get in the way.. 

i like how the rail has pegs underneath for making miter cuts, that could be a real time saver  not having to drag out a square all the time 

very cool tool!!

That Festool cordless saw looks like it would be very helpful for me in trying to build a place to live (since I often don't have access to power) and I'm sure it would be much better than the chainsaw carpentry I've done before. So when is it coming to the U.S.A. and I don't suppose anyone would like to give one to a disabled worthless person like me.

About the Mafell: Is that entirely made in Europe like Festool? Even as broke as I am I won't support slavery, besides and can't afford to anyway, the slave labor junk has such a short life that it costs so much more over the long run.

Mafell is 100% German. All the engineering, CNC machining & plastic injection moulding happens in-house in Oberndorf, Germany. There's extremely little to zero outsourcing.

They also manufacture many tools for other brands like Hilti, Bosch, Flex to name a few.

In the past Mafell and Festool collaborated a bunch of tools but when Festool infringed on some Mafell DuoDoweler patent when they came out with the Domino joiner, the cooperation seems to have stopped.

This new Festool HKC saw is another concept Mafell introduced 25 years ago.

In short, Mafell is one of, if not the most respected tool manufacturer in Germany. They're generally regarded as the most premium German portable tool brand for timber framing. Another nice fact is their next door neighboor is weapons manufacturer Heckler & Koch.

I read on the FOG (actually missed the original post as it was removed) that Festool was adding some more tools to our market here on 06-01-15 so I'm curious to see if this guy will be introduced here. I've checked out Timberwolf tools site (Maine) they are the only authorized Mafell dealer in the U.S. As far as I know and their version is $$$$$$ makes my Festool collection look like a mid grade range.

Maybe I am being a little skeptical,but I can't see the need for this at least here in the US. There are still a ton of people that have never used or seen a track saw let alone a little guy like this.

That's my point with the cordless model especially. Really cool if you don't want DC but the point of my TS55REQ besides unparalleled precision is dust control. Maybe a framer could use this but I've got my cordless 20v saw plus the new Skilsaw magnesium on the way and just can't see a need for this particular item for me. I'm sure a lot of people will get something out of it but....

• Like 1

Exactly Chris! Now if Bosch or Dewalt or Milwaukee were to add a groove in their regular cordless saw bases, then you would have something. That way you can use the battery system. Festool is very limited in their cordless tool selection.

• Like 1

Its very clear to me you guys in the States havent had the pleasure of using a tool like this yet. The comments I read on message boards sounds very similiar to when Festool introduced you guys to the track saw.

People didnt see their value either. "well i just clamp a straight edge and run my circ saw by it..."

And just look at the market now. Everyone whos used one swears by track saws.

This is the same thing all over again. KSS saws are so much more convenient, faster and precise. And who says you cant have great dust collection? Those Mafell KSS saws have excellent dust collection when connected to a quality vac. And im confident the dust collection on this new Festool will be great as well. One thing Im fearfull of is the power using only 1 18v battery. Festool isn't exactly known for powerful saws. They're all just debatably adequate in grunt.

I do agree about the battery eco systems though, but I doubt well ever see any manufacturer offer everything. Combining different brands seems like a necessary evil thats here to stay.

It seems like no one has made the big marketing push on why tracksaws are better than a standard circular saw. Tradesmen seem to get stuck in their ways and don't want to adapt at times with new tech. I'm not saying you need to be bleeding edge, but their is technology out now that can save you time and money which most people like and a side thing is it will save your body as a bonus most of the time. Using a heavy saw and nailgun all day is going to take its number on you long term.

Would have liked to have seen it with a plunge cut not pendulum. Most tradesmen are very ignorant when it comes to cost saving and investing in there tools, they either are broke all the time and can't afford to tool correctly and then take the piss out of people that have got the correct equipment or just don't see the benefit as they work around others that just make do lol.