Jobsite Radio

Barrythehandyman

I don't understand why I can't find a jobsite radio that has some decent fidelity.   I've had two Dewalt's and currently have the 18V (model?) with the digital tuner.  They sound OK but not great.   Either they are so darn big or too small.   You would think that big would mean booming base, but no.....or you would think big would have some nice tweeters, but no.   I'm really dissapointed that, in my case, Dewalt since I am 95% coverted to 20V, hasn't make a top of the line boom box with some real features and fidelity.

Well durability is the name of the game w jobsite gear. I'm not expecting a Milwaukee radio to sound like a denon or onkyo hooked up to paradigms or B&Ws. When there are rotary hammers or miter saws etc on site you forget all about an amps total harmonic distortion, etc.

That said, if we were to get higher quality for the same cost I would be ecstatic. However, the new Bluetooth M18 is $250 Canadian. That's as much as a Fuel kit in some cases. Any higher than that and my money is likely to stay in my wallet.

I'm of the opinion that the new M18 sounds good though, and is fully featured. I'm sure the tough system radio will be similar.

its funny cus I have both the 20v dewalt radio and there Bluetooth radio and I use the Bluetooth way more mostly cus of the space and portability and the sounds ok for me as I have my own space at the shop either mixing paint or sanding down cars it really works for me and with the spray booth running and the guys pulling cars on the frame rack this lil guy does good plus like I said it fits perfect on top my bluepoint tool cart. u should really check out milwaukees Bluetooth radio though my son turned one up full blast one time when visiting HD and man that thing was loud!

• 3 weeks later...

I have M18 charger radio (2792-20) and it has good sound overall..definitely loud but not outstanding..it does "throw" the sound pretty good though..in a house it rocks the whole house outside it will rock the whole block!!

The bass is ok but the tweeters are nice and pretty clean sound depending on music and EQ settings..

The features is what I like most

-Bluetooth is nice works pretty good and distance is ok..this is what I usually use..load up pandora and let it play all day!!

-ability to charge is great and the run time off 4ah is amazing roughly 18hrs!!!

-charges phone at a good rate..also will charge phone off of just the battery and doesn't drain it very much!!

-radio reception is good and no interference when plugged in

It is a bit heavy but with the run time and features I use this thing daily!!

Work or play this radio goes everywhere

I have both the large non charging non blue tooth and the small versions of the Milwaukee radios I added bluetooth for about $9 with this bluetooth adaptor has about 3-4 hours battery life and about 100 ft range got it from amazon 

DSC_0892.jpg

• Like 1

I'v had my Bosch Powerbox for just about 3 years now and I LOVE IT! The sound is great, a bunch of imputs, 4 outlets on the side, and you can easily hear all over the job site! The only downside for you is you don't have Bosch batteries so you would have to plug it in all the time. I would say the only con of the radio is with a battery it close to 25 pounds to carry, but all and all, it a great radio to have at the job site and at home

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a video comparing a lot of the radio options. After watching this and about 10 other reviews it seems the Milwaukee and Bosch radios have the best sound with Bosch having a big advantage that the speaker doesn't face forward (up instead) so you don't have to stand in front of it for good sound.

I opted for Ridgids latest iteration. It has been updated since the last TIA review but they gave the last one high marks. It was competitive in sound volume without distortion. It also has phone storage, it's own power cable and looks indestructible. It was similar in price to Milwaukees radio that doesn't also charge and about half the price of the Milwaukee that charges batteries. It was also half the price of the Bosch.

http://youtu.be/cMtudvNoq0E

Here is a video comparing a lot of the radio options. After watching this and about 10 other reviews it seems the Milwaukee and Bosch radios have the best sound with Bosch having a big advantage that the speaker doesn't face forward (up instead) so you don't have to stand in front of it for good sound.

I opted for Ridgids latest iteration. It has been updated since the last TIA review but they gave the last one high marks. It was competitive in sound volume without distortion. It also has phone storage, it's own power cable and looks indestructible. It was similar in price to Milwaukees radio that doesn't also charge and about half the price of the Milwaukee that charges batteries. It was also half the price of the Bosch.

http://youtu.be/cMtudvNoq0E

Thanks for posting that video. I am really thinking about getting that Bosch powerbox.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk