Howdy all!

Hi all,

I am ghostshadow, you can cal me ghost if you'd like.(or whatever you want) My real name is Kelly and yes, I'm a dude. haha!  Also, I am terrible at introductions. Can't you tell?

I have been a long time lurker and watcher of the YouTube channel (started watching in 2011) and finally decided to register on the forums so I could interact with the community.  I have mostly been watching the videos and lurking here, but never registered. So let's change that! 

I am getting ready to move into a new house (first time home owner) so that's kind of exciting. I have been an avid DIY / maker / hacker  all my life. I grew up in Indiana and have always had a desire to learn how stuff worked and how to create my own things.  I grew up in the country and always had the freedom to tinker, build, and modify stuff whenever I wanted.  When I moved to the city (Indianapolis)  a couple of years ago, that all changed.

Apparently the other tenants in the apartment building don't like sawing, paint fumes, hammering, welding (neither does the carpet (LOL) ), or drilling. So I have had to kind of restrict myself a fair bit.  The desire to build and make things has been in me the hole time but I feel like I've been trapped in a creative cocoon.  So now that I'm moving into a house, I'll have the freedom to build again!  ;D That is super exciting because the apartment dwelling life kind of sucks.

What else can I tell you? I'm into photography, motorcycles, skateboarding, older cars. I enjoy fine bourbon, craft brew, the occasional cigar.. I'm an avid video gamer. I love horror movies, comics and reading regular books as well. I listen to music constantly, I cannot go a day without having music playing.  I am also technology enthusiast, I dabble in graphics design. I do a little programming here and there (trying to get more serious about it). I'm really into 3d printing and other CNC mechanics, although I do not have one of my own, yet. I will. I have played with them and it's super fun!   I am also a professional level YoYoer, I used to do demonstrations but I just do it for fun now.  If I had to describe myself, I guess I would say that I am kind of a jack of all trades but a master of none.  

This is starting to sound like a dating profile! Hahaha!

I can't really think of anything else to say.  I like long walks on the bea...... wait a minute!... Where was I? Oh, right! I was wrapping this up!  So I guess I will end it here. I just wanted to "officially" introduce myself and give you a little background about myself. I know this post is all over the place so hopefully you'll be able to make sense of it.  I hope to interact with you guys some more and hopefully share my new projects once we get moved into the new house.

• Like 4

Kelly! Welcome to the forum man!...by the way, Kelly is great name, I mean the best surfer of all time is named Kelly. 

I pretty much have all the same interests as yourself, although I just sold all my videogames to buy more tools. I used to play a ton of Call of Duty and even had my own business selling modified controllers, called Hapa Controllers. Been making things my whole life as well, grew up on jobsites and in woodshops for more than half of my life.

Hope you enjoy your new house and keep the car out of the garage to make space for all your tools

• Like 1

BigMike just said my exact reply! It sounds like you have a ton of cool experience and knowledge to share! Looking forward to your posts.

BTW my wife's name is Austin.. gets mistaken for a dude all the time by people who have never met her so no judgement on the name over here... it's all good man!!

See you around the forum

John

Thank you all for the warm welcomes! I truly appreciate it!  I have been thinking I should have registered sooner, instead of lurking so much, haha! You all seem like a great bunch! I'm sure some of you probably saw me on YouTube too.  Glad to be a part of the forum and I'll definitely try to contribute where I can.

I used to play a ton of Call of Duty and even had my own business selling modified controllers, called Hapa Controllers.

That's awesome! I used to also modify controllers and consoles, mostly consoles.  I also helped run one of the largest xbox modding communities online (xbox100) we were second to xbox-scene when modding the original xbox was extremely popular.  We worked with all kinds of shops that provided mod services, chips, controllers, etc.   Perhaps we could have worked with you? Maybe?  Either way, that's pretty cool to hear!  The modding scene, sadly, isn't what it used to be.

• Like 1

welcome bro - hopefully you bought a fixer upper....otherwise its pretty boring :D

It's definitely a fixer upper, haha! The previous owner (single owner home) took pretty good care of it but was unable to keep some things in check do to his age and health status. 

I'm going to have to gut the garage and put in all new drywall, patch and etch / seal the concrete floor, replace a window and fix the firewall so it's compliant. The doors also need a good refinish and probably re-hung because they are the old swing-out style on hinges and have kind of started to sag a bit.

Inside the house we've got to replace two windows, some molding work, refinish the floors in a couple of rooms (all wood floors), change out some doors, locks, etc.  Re-finish the front porch and do lot's of painting and whatever patchwork on the walls and ceiling that need to be done.   The bathroom floor is plain ugly so I'm going to rip it up and put in new flooring, toilet, build a new vanity.

I plan on building some wood benches for the front porch so we can have something to sit on.

There's all kinds of stuff that's planned for this place, it should be fun. The only thing that stinks is I have to re-invest in all the power tools I used to have.  Going to need some saws, drivers, drills, air compressor, pretty much everything but manual tools. When I moved to this apartment I am in, I ended up having to sell a bunch of stuff because I simply didn't have room for it and renting a storage container was just too much to handle.

Here's a picture of the place if you guys would like to see it.

8cfcb5c924.png

-------

fcc200693d.jpg

-------

01e4d4db8c.jpg

-------

It's only 2 bedroom 1 bath. half an acre of land but it's plenty for now.  Especially considering this apartment is only 620 sq. ft. haha!

Sucks that u had to sell all ur tools man but hey now u can upgrade to all the new tools out there it's just gonna be pricey but just post what tools ur looking for and the crew will definitely help find u some deals bro! Us Tool junkies are always lookin for deals ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hahaha! You're definitely right about them being out dated.  My previous cordless system was all craftsman, jigsaw, drill, sander, etc. and used nicads and they have bit the dust for the final time.  I guess I should iterate a little. I didn't sell all of my tools - I still have some manual hand tools, like screw drivers and wrenches.  I also have sockets coming out of my ears haha! 

But power tool wise they all had to go. I had to rebuild the battery packs on that craftsman system at least twice over the years and it just wasn't worth it any more.  So, I guess it was a good thing I got rid of that, haha.  

I've owned and used Milwaukee drills and circular saws in the past and have been infatuated with the Fuel for quite a while but just cannot afford it. I used to have the old gen 2 Ridgid drill and dug it quite a bit, but it went when I got rid of everything else.  I've been looking at the Ridgid Gen5x kit / R8611503 drill for some time and I'm in love with it. It seriously kicks some major butt, especially compared to the older Ridgid drills. That particular drill offers everything I need and I really dig Ridgid's new stuff.  Their new tools are pretty damn good right now and I'm super impressed by what they are doing.  I just bought a variable speed random orbit sander (ridgid) and couldn't be happier, the thing was cheaper than the Dewalt and the ergonomics were even better too.  So I guess it's safe to say I'm really into Ridgid right now.

Aside from Ridgid and Milwaukee, I also dig the smaller 12v Bosch line for light duty work. I'm really all over the place, I think every manufacturer offers something decent. Some do one thing better than others and vice versa. I don't mind mixing brands, I have preferences but am always open to new stuff and other brands.

-------

A half acre ain't nothing to me :P I grew up on 10 acres when I was a kid and had to mow it almost once a week  in the summers haha!  My grandfather flew model airplanes and he had an airstrip out in the field/ back yard, so I would have to help him keep it trimmed and looking good so his planes would land properly.  It was a lot of land and a lot of mowing but it really conditioned me hahaha. So I'm good with a push mower, good exercise too! Which I definitely need, haha!