I'm finally moving to the dark (Red) side

dwain

C Harris, you almost had as many drills/drivers as me! :)

And dwain.! Don't you have the ddf480 model compact in aus? That can easily keep up with the comoacs of all other brands without a doubt :)

Sorry Dominic, don't like ANY of Makita's compacts much.

I have both the new Makita BL 6.5" grinder and BL grinder.. I have never used the Fuel but the Makitas are damn nice. Huge improvements from the older models.. especially the grinder.. plenty of power for real job site work.
I also own the X2 7.25" saw and that is great as well. I'll say the BL 6.5 is damn near it in terms of power the X2 might just have a bit more and complete the cut a tad faster is all. Most of the time I just use the BL 6.5 though. Even ripping treated 2x framing lumber

Your not gonna go wrong with Milwaukee especially if it's a load cheaper. Im nit trying to talk you out of it.. I just love Makita, feel they make solid tools that won't fail me on the job and have a huge line and love the X2.. most of the new tools come with the battery indicator on the tool also.. it can be inconvenient not having it on the battery but I have survived thus far.

I like the size of 6.5" saws, they're light and small. The Makita 6.5" is great, but not quite as powerful or sturdy as the (heavier) Milwaukee.

The Milwaukee won't be cheaper than Makita, its just a slight preference. If I didn't have the Bosch gear already (planer, jigsaw, multi-tool), i would definitely choose Makita as the better more holistic range for me (a woodworker mainly).

Given the roll Milwaukee is on as of the last few years, you are probably making a wise choice, Dwain. I have Dewalt and Makita for my 18v stuff, but I have been eyeing several of the fuel offerings. I'm just a DIYer, so I'll probably just get the few Fuel items I want as opposed to sell all my stuff as I don't need to lug my tools anywhere, so having multiple platforms isn't as much of an issue for me as it might be for others who use tools for a living. Good luck with the move to Milwaukee.

How much for those 5.0's and the hammer drill?

I'm in Melbourne, Australia Jack, probably no good to you ;)

I'm also a DIY'er, but I can't afford to get into Milwaukee without selling my Dewalt. I also don't want to have to take more than 2 battery platforms if i want to do a bit of work at a friends house. I'm already concerned that I'll want to take 4 batteries with me for drill + impact, as they'll be on different brands...

i could get the sawzall as well, but I've owned the Dewalt 20V recip for nearly 3 years and used it about 3 times. I just can't justify the price of that (amazing) expensive tool for how much i used it (not being a tradie).

i could get the sawzall as well, but I've owned the Dewalt 20V recip for nearly 3 years and used it about 3 times. I just can't justify the price of that (amazing) expensive tool for how much i used it (not being a tradie).

I hear you. I'm not a tradie either, but I find myself reaching for the sawzall pretty often. It could have something to do with growing up with a dad and grandpa that were plumbers. They had me running one when I was 8 or 10 years old. It just seems natural to grab one now. Sawzall, Hole Hawg, and a Ramset Rotary hammer are the main tools I remember using with them plumbing.

• Like 1

The only thing that kept me from getting Milwaukee sooner was I didn't know enough about tools to justify the higher prices some of their FUEL products demand. Now I have a pretty good set going.

I think the gen public may be the same way. The lines that aren't as innovative will use that price difference to keep their sales up until they can match Milwaukees lineup.

Did you see Dan & Erics latest tool talk video? I found their opinions very informative. I saw how Dan was trying to hold onto Dewalt for dear life, but even he admitted that he is slowly being pulled towards Milwaukee. Eric was right, at least for right now, Milwaukee is kicking some serious ass with their innovations. In my humble opinion, the real fight is between Milwaukee and Makita. Because |Makita has the widest cordless tool selection, but Milwaukee has the latest and greatest innovations coming out. Personally, I think its no question that Milwaukee are going to make the biggest sales this year, but I could be wrong. But Dewalt is most certainly not going to be the most wanted tool brand this year for sure, and neither will Bosch or Ridgid.

I agree that it's now between Milwaukee and Makita.  Makita definitely has a serious lineup and their new brushless saws are an excellent upgrade over their brushed ones.  I think Makita might have taken their intro into brushless a little too lightly because their first gen brushless drill seemed to run into a lot of trouble.  Since then they've definitely turned it up a notch.  I love Milwaukee's approach to new tools though.  It seems like they really do throw everything into it as far as engineering and really making an innovative tool that'll last.  Then when that tool hits the market it's as if they go straight to "Now how can we make this tool better?"  Milwaukee should be the favorite for biggest sales. 

I really like that Milwaukee updated their older brushed lines as well.  With their premium FUEL line undergoing some improvements other companies who can't keep up will push bargain versions of their premium tools to try to boost sales.  But with those improvements on the brushed lines, the consumer will get better tools at the same price as those bargain versions from other companies.  Don't know if that makes sense but I couldn't type fast enough to catch up to my brain so as I kept going through reading what I typed I started losing my train of thought LOL!

Yeah I agree with most, Milwaukee or Makita is where its at. Though I'm not sure either match Bosch or Metabo for build quality. And some of Metabo's cordless tools are still unparallelled (BL drill, grinder, 400Nm wrench).

I think I'm actually gonna grab the bosch compact drill, rather than the Milwaukee. They are both brilliant, but this way I have compact drill and impact driver/wrench in one brand, and hence only need slim batteries in one brand. 

I've already bought the FUEL Drill, Grinder & Circular Saw with 4.0Ah batteries. Can't wait to start using them...

• Like 1

Idk man, I still have my hopes that one day Dewalt will make a comeback

I seriously can't believe that they expect to keep up. They STILL haven't announced or even hinted at a Brushless / better Circular Saw or Grinder.

Yeah I agree with most, Milwaukee or Makita is where its at. Though I'm not sure either match Bosch or Metabo for build quality. And some of Metabo's cordless tools are still unparallelled (BL drill, grinder, 400Nm wrench).

I think I'm actually gonna grab the bosch compact drill, rather than the Milwaukee. They are both brilliant, but this way I have compact drill and impact driver/wrench in one brand, and hence only need slim batteries in one brand.

I've already bought the FUEL Drill, Grinder & Circular Saw with 4.0Ah batteries. Can't wait to start using them...

Yes I'll have to agree about Bosch. I really like their build quality. For a small shop type environment, they are second to Festool imo. They've got awesome routers, orbital sanders, a good contractor grade table saw, great miter saws, and the small compact drills and drivers are perfect for case assembly. I have a Bosch 7-1/4" corded circular saw thats become my favorite. (Until I get the Milwaukee 2731, lol)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will salute you with a tool time grunt for that 2731.

Ohhhhhhh man thanks for the grunt! I have this urge now to go back and watch Tim "the toolman" Taylor. it'd be funny to hear what types of tools they were rockin back in the day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk