Question on Milwaukee purchase

Jim Beck

First off this is going to be for automotive work day in and out.

Currently I have a Hitachi 18v drill setup (1.5 ah) battery) I have had for over 8 years. the batteries are starting to get tired and the drill setting will not stay locked on. got it at lowes for like $130. worth every penny.

I would like to get a drill and impact driver kit. more tools later down the road. ( 3/8 and 1/2 impacts)

I think I have settled on getting the Milwaukee line over the dewalt or makita. 

So I have read that the way to go is the Fuel line-up. but Milwaukee does not make a kit with a non-hammer drill. ( no reason for hammer drill and adds weight and cost)

How necc is it to go brushless now. current set up is brushed and it lasts over a week with everyday use.

Been thinking of getting the brushed compact kit that runs $199 (2691-22) 1.5 ah battery

But just watched a review of the brushless fuel impact driver and all i can is freakin WOW. driving that 5 in lag was awesome. now i want that. plus the 3 speeds would be very useful to me.

I do have a 20% off coupon I can use at a local store to get it ( up to $50 off)

Ugh Choices to be made.

Just a brushless (non-fuel)drill kit is $200 and a bare fuel impact driver is $129

Price is an object too.

The 2791 is the combo kit with the non hammer drill.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-Fuel-18-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Drill-Impact-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-2791-22CT/203639357?keyword=Milwaukee+2791

The model of the drill is a 2603. I have that same model. Actually the non hammer 2603 and hammer 2604 are the same size and weight. The kit with the non hammer drill also comes with the compact batteries instead of the XC batteries. I happened up on a good deal on the non hammer drill version. If I was going to buy the combo new from HD now I would purchase this combo.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Driver-XC-Combo-Kit-with-Free-M18-4-0Ah-XC-Battery-2797-22-48-11-1840/204308875/

• Like 1

When does the coupon expire and when do you need these tools? I ask because I think next month Milwaukee is releasing their new updated Fuel 2.0 drills and drivers. For just a drill and impact driver the current ones are pretty great all around but they are getting bumps in torque and going to three speeds on the impact drivers plus a self tapping mode and the impact wrenches are going three speeds plus a 1 second burst mode which is great for using the wrench when tightening down bolts where you want an even amount of twist on each. In any event he current kits at discount can be great deals and that would get you started on the platform and have the batteries to go with the new wrenches when they drop.

• Like 1

Milwaukee makes both M12 and M18 version of a drill and impact driver kit. IF you are going to spend 200 dollars, it makes sense to spend a little more to get something that you won't be dissapointed with. Cause to be honest, I think you are going to be dissapointed with brushed models, especially with only 1.5AH batteries!

actually Milwaukee M18 has 3 in their line up, brushed, brushless and fuel 

• Like 1

Once I get the impact driver the drill will not be used that much. Mostly lighter drilling and on small screws. My current 18v brushed do these tasks perfectly fine. I think I am more pressed on the impact driver to get a brushless fuel model.. One of the guys at work has the dewalt 20v impact brushed. Gonna try that and see how it does.

Maybe keep the Hitachi for a few more.. Get the fuel impact and later get the better drill.

The coupon is good till Saturday

They also have the 3.0 batteries for $69.

I also work in the automotive world and milwaukees got great tools in that category. I have the m12 3/8 fuel wrench 3/8 ratchet and my beast the 2763 1/2 fuel impact wrench that makes me smile every time u use her ;)

Does the m12 3/8 impact have enough torque? seems low compared to the m18 impact driver. but i guess it depends on what you use it for.

I used a friends dewalt 20v brushed impact driver today. I think that model has like 117 ft lbs of torque. used it to take caliper bolts out. work pretty good. I am sure the fuel version would be better.

Hello there! You made the right choice going with Milwaukee in my opinion. :)

I understand that price often reflects which tool that we are going to buy. But in my decision, I was looking at not only power, but the long term. See the thing you got to keep in mind is that brushless tools are not only more powerful and durable, but they last longer on a charge with their batteries due to their brushless design.

Milwaukee makes both M12 and M18 version of a drill and impact driver kit. IF you are going to spend 200 dollars, it makes sense to spend a little more to get something that you won't be dissapointed with. Cause to be honest, I think you are going to be dissapointed with brushed models, especially with only 1.5AH batteries!

What you want is brushless with 4.0AH batteries. Now I agree you probably don't need a hammer drill, that is what the impact driver is for. But there is a version of my drill that doesn't have the hammer, I don't know the model off the top of my head, but I know that they make it. Again, how much power do you need exactly, would the M12 be an option for you by chance? An M12 brushless fuel will outperform your old M18 brushed drill.

if i get the 1/2 drive fuel impact yes the 4.0 batteries would be best but for basic drilling in my application i think its a waste and just makes the tool heavier and bulkier. the 1.5-2.0 would be fine as thats what i have now. the impact driver the 3.0 i think would be good.

I do not see how a m12 fuel drill would be better then a m18 brushed drill. the specs do not add up at all. sure the brushless motor will last longer but i doubt the battery would on a single charge. maybe i am wrong.

First off this is going to be for automotive work day in and out.

Currently I have a Hitachi 18v drill setup (1.5 ah) battery) I have had for over 8 years. the batteries are starting to get tired and the drill setting will not stay locked on. got it at lowes for like $130. worth every penny.

I would like to get a drill and impact driver kit. more tools later down the road. ( 3/8 and 1/2 impacts)

I think I have settled on getting the Milwaukee line over the dewalt or makita. 

So I have read that the way to go is the Fuel line-up. but Milwaukee does not make a kit with a non-hammer drill. ( no reason for hammer drill and adds weight and cost)

How necc is it to go brushless now. current set up is brushed and it lasts over a week with everyday use.

Been thinking of getting the brushed compact kit that runs $199 (2691-22) 1.5 ah battery

But just watched a review of the brushless fuel impact driver and all i can is freakin WOW. driving that 5 in lag was awesome. now i want that. plus the 3 speeds would be very useful to me.

I do have a 20% off coupon I can use at a local store to get it ( up to $50 off)

Ugh Choices to be made.

Just a brushless (non-fuel)drill kit is $200 and a bare fuel impact driver is $129

Price is an object too.

Miwaukee is bringing out their full size drill and hammer drill in 2 weeks so you might want to hold off to either buy the new one or possibly for the old model to get discounted. I'm thinking the Fuel Hammerdrill will be $350 or so just for the hammerdrill kit but the old model might get knocked down a bit.