A 16.4 inch blade isn't that big,until you see it.

optimistspencer

My brother in-law found one of these at a pawn shop for around $100 and came with a wood blade and a cutting disc.  I held it and it is a beast.  He has his own portable saw mill and uses it to cut larger lumber he mills.  

OK yeah the blade is bigger I see that, but most of the blade is within the tool itself. Maybe I am wrong, but looking at it sitting there, it looks like the blade doesn't extend much more past the guide frame then it does for most other circular saws. 0.o

Yeah it only has 2.5x the cut depth of a 7-1/4 inch saw. Pretty lame. /sarcasm

Yeah it only has 2.5x the cut depth of a 7-1/4 inch saw. Pretty lame. /sarcasm

Hahahaha just a smidge more... These are real popular the the sawyers, I wouldn't get one because I don't mill at the house but if I ever buy a larger property, this'll be on the list.

http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/makita/M-5402NA.html

Just a link for a good sales site. Plus a chance to check out Mafell :D

The cutting capacity is only an inch less than the entire diameter of a regular circular saw. That's awesome. Oh by the way thanks a lot ChrisK for showing me another sight to buy tools!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

What's the benefit to this saw vs a worm drive with a prazi?

This guy is gonna give a much nicer cut, probably move a bit faster through the cut and also it will allow you to make a straighter cut..

it's like cutting with a jigsaw vs a 7 1/4 circular saw. The jigsaw will be much harder to follow a straight line because the blade is so short front to back so it allows the saw to wander a bit. Same idea with the prazzi.. with a circular saw, so much of the blade remains in the kerf of the cut that it doesn't allow you to make wavy cuts as easily.

Now with that said... I own a prazzi because I needed it for a specific job where I was cutting a bunch of 4x14 joists. The prazzi was perfect for me.. much cheaper, much smaller and the quality of cut was actually pretty good.. the cut ends of the joists were all hidden anyway

This guy is gonna give a much nicer cut, probably move a bit faster through the cut and also it will allow you to make a straighter cut..

it's like cutting with a jigsaw vs a 7 1/4 circular saw. The jigsaw will be much harder to follow a straight line because the blade is so short front to back so it allows the saw to wander a bit. Same idea with the prazzi.. with a circular saw, so much of the blade remains in the kerf of the cut that it doesn't allow you to make wavy cuts as easily.

Now with that said... I own a prazzi because I needed it for a specific job where I was cutting a bunch of 4x14 joists. The prazzi was perfect for me.. much cheaper, much smaller and the quality of cut was actually pretty good.. the cut ends of the joists were all hidden anyway

Where were you using a 4 x 14 joist? That's a pretty substantial cross section for a joist.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Finish protool, it's all about finish work. You can cut timber with a chainsaw but it ain't going to be a finish cut. Take for instance cutting exposed beam ceiling in your house....do you want a Husky tearing the wood up or a saw giving it a nice finish cut? It's really about what quality you want. If I were building a log cabin out in the rough, sure thing, a Prazi or a chainsaw would be just fine, but for quality finish work you have to use a good blade. I suppose you could mutilate the cut with a chain but the follow up with a plane and chisel wouldn't be cost effective or time effective.

• Like 1

That makes sense. Good analogy with the jigsaw vs circular saw.