Some days are not worth waking up for!! Clothes Dryer caught on fire!!

DR99

Crazy effing day today!! I really want to swear but as a mod and we like to keep things pg around here I don't want to set a bad example!! My freaking clothes dryer caught on fire!! The effed up thing was I cleaned it really good over the winter!! It was a lint fire but I don't know why it caught fire this time!!!

Sorry to hear that Jason, thank God you guys are ok. What kind of dryer vent do you have? Ridged flue pipe or corrugated flex hose ? Make sure if you use flue ( ridgid pipe) pope you don't use screws to make the connections, use duct tape. and if your using just a short section of that flex hose whether it be plastic or aluminum don't bother cleaning it once a year just change it out once or twice a year depending on use its much easier..

Thank really sucks bud, glad everyone is alright.  Does anyone know or heard if this can happen with an electric dryer?  I remember seeing PSA's all the time about dryer fires from our local gas company, so I am assuming this might be a common occurrence. 

-Steven

About 3 years ago our neighbors garage caught on fire. It was the craziest thing ever!! The siding one my garage melted, and two windows cracked from the heat!! For a brief second I though our house was in trouble but the roof fell in and smothered the fire.

Yep fires are something I get really nervous around now! Alfter rhat whole debacle from today and the garage fire I have had enough fire situations for awhile!! The only thing is a small bon fire just for fun while your camping/hiking.

Yep fires are something I get really nervous around now! Alfter rhat whole debacle from today and the garage fire I have had enough fire situations for awhile!! The only thing is a small bon fire just for fun while your camping/hiking.

. Man Jason I remember one time only a couple months ago I smelt fire it was about 10pm and I walked outside to see who was burning wood and I looked on my roof and there was vapor coming out from the dryer vent on top which I thought was smoke man I was so freakin scared bro I grabbed my kids and wife and told them to go outside I went up into my attic and there was nothing I was like OH SH#% it's in the walls! But my Nieghor 3 houses down was burning wood plus it was a lil chilly outside so it just look like smoke but I read up on it and it's normal for that to happen I can laugh about it now but boy I was shitting bricks that night man.

Sorry to hear about the fire Jason, believer it or not, dryer fires are quite common. But most of the time its caused by people not cleaning out the lint filter. I make sure to clean it out after every use, better to be safe then sorrry. My brother used to serve on a Navy submarine, he said that they were cleaning out their dryers filters often. cause you can't have a fire on a submarine as it can asphyxiate the crew instantly. And dryer fires on submarines were the number 1 cause of fire. So you can't be too careful about dryer fire provention. Glad to hear your family is ok.

I know how serious clothes dyer fires are, but I though I had everything cleaned out and taken care of. If I did the clean up 2 weeks earlier this wouldn't have been a problem.