Am I missing out not using Snap-On??

ItsaBanana

Probably a stupid topic but one that has been on my mind.

First up, my Father in law was a full on Snap-on guy. Had over $40,000 invested in Snap-on and Mac tools over the course of say 40 odd years. Was a heavy mechanic for John Deere and also work on oil rigs in New Mexico. He needed top end gear.

Anyway, I am a systems engineer and all my tools are based around anti-static for electronics work, drills for installation of servers, workstations, multimeters and all that jazz. I do use good German VDE tools from CK. I use Wera too. Other main brands I use are Fluke, DeWalt, Makita and now starting to buy Milwaukee gear.

Snap-On do have some tools that are of use to my career but they are obviously expensive and would they really be any better than say Wera, Facom, CK, Knipex? I look at my tools as an investment and also hope to someday hand them down to my sons.

Another point is that getting Snappy in the UK is a lot tougher than what we had in Minnesota. There is only one SO guy here within 100 mile radius and he really just pushes for customers to open up high interest rate accounts. I buy all my tools cash. I don't like owning nobody for my stuff.

Plus my mechanic had some SO tools break within 3 months of owning and the SO guy would not replace. Apparently over 40% fail rate on this brand. So negatives are that they are hard to get hold off and expensive.

Am I just paying extra for a name? Are they worth the investment? Also looking at Mac tools.

Just wanted to ask you guys on your opinion.

Probably a stupid topic but one that has been on my mind.

First up, my Father in law was a full on Snap-on guy. Had over $40,000 invested in Snap-on and Mac tools over the course of say 40 odd years.

so your father in law didn't have many tools, just kidding......anyways I worked in a machine shop that handled mining, heavy equipment, saw mill, pretty much every aspect of the mechanical trades including many mechanics and such  for over over 30+ years and as good as Snap-on was it wasn't always the best. Many tradesman would say the only difference was the price.......

This is just a rumor I've heard, but Snap-On use/have used knipex tools, that they put their sticker on. Also when I was in the marked for this, Snap On was in the mix, but fell out after a few tests on youtube that favored knipex over SO. 

Not that I have ever used Snap-On. But I really doubt you are loosing out for anything big with buying german quality tools.

I have seen SO tools and just don't "get it". No prices in catalouges is annoying. Pushing folk towards high interest credit is another no-no for me. I simply can't see how their screwdrivers are any better than my CK,Wera ones. It is a major price hike over those. One fella I knew spent near £300 on a set of screwdrivers last year from SO. He says they are great and I am sure they are, but just how great?

I also keep coming across people who have broke loads of these tools. Just makes ya wonder. Is it just the fanboy side that folk go for? So so many great top quality tool companies around now.

To be honest snap on,Mac,cornewll all have there place they do have a lot of those specialty tools for certain jobs that seem impossible to do but nowa days there a lot of competition and the competition is coming strong take for instance I own a impact socket set tat I purchased back in 2008 for a lil under $250 Tekton came out with a set that I've now owned for almost a year I paid under $80 bucks for and they're still going strong they get used every single day with no problems at all I also have a Dewalt mechanics set at the shop they get used quite a bit nothing to extreme but they do get used I hardly use my snap on and Mac tools since I took my Dewalt and Tektons to the shop just cus I wanna see how long these guys will actually last. It's funny cus our big box truck tool guys used to laugh when they saw them and would always say when ur done breaking all those crappy tools he would hook me up with some real quality tools lol he's just mad cus I don't owe him a dime since I haven't been buying off him lately. Thank u Dan, Eric and crew for showing me other less expensive but still great quality tools to spend my money on ;)

• Like 3

it all comes down to  HPS (high price syndrome) not saying they don't make good tools I just say the approach is money money money, bring you the tools let you pay on payments so you get the tool right there and then and not realize you are paying way more than you need to.

if it was 100 degrees and I pulled up in a truck and said hey who wants a bottle of water, not to worry you can pay me on payday oh by the way a bottle is $14..

I bet someone would and say it was the best bottle of water they ever had! so if there were 50 guys standing there and only 1 guy bought the water and said that next week someone else would want to try.......before you know it you have enough to make a killing at it.......

• Like 1

Snap-On is expensive but they stand behind their tools no questions asked. I really like their flank drive plus wrenches, sockets and their dual 80 ratchets. I wouldn't recommend their power tools, pliers or cutters. I think klien or knipex are better and priced right. Milwaukee has better power tools and longer warranty.

Snap-On is expensive but they stand behind their tools no questions asked. I really like their flank drive plus wrenches, sockets and their dual 80 ratchets. I wouldn't recommend their power tools, pliers or cutters. I think klien or knipex are better and priced right. Milwaukee has better power tools and longer warranty.

I agree with you Mondo. A bunch of my classmates have snapon tools. Their toolboxes are nice but aren't worth the $5000 price tag. Their pliers and cutters are good but for the price you can get klien or knipex for cheaper and to me are better. Ingersoll Rand makes better and cheaper air tools. Their cordless tools are now outdated, their impacts don't make anywhere near the torque of the dewalt or Milwaukee high torque impacts. Their wrenches are insanely high but are very good. Their ratchets are butter smooth but Im not sure about their strength. Their sockets fit good and tight but are very thin so they do snap from time to time if they are used to remove a stubborn but or bolt. As far as their specialty tools go you can usually find an OTC or lisle equivelant for much cheaper.

This is just a rumor I've heard, but Snap-On use/have used knipex tools, that they put their sticker on. Also when buying stuff, Snap On was in the mix, but fell out after a few tests on youtube that favored knipex over SO.

Not that I have ever used Snap-On. But I really doubt you are loosing out for anything big with buying german quality tools.

I know today Matco uses rebranded knipex pliers.

I beg to differ, I know many times one of the guys would run out with a broken tool only to have the salesman say they have to send it away to see why it broke before they would replace it........the salesman and his truck of tools are owned by the salesman himself and they don't like giving up tools up front or have to wait to get a replacement from snap-on. 

I beg to differ, I know many times one of the guys would run out with a broken tool only to have the salesman say they have to send it away to see why it broke before they would replace it........the salesman and his truck of tools are owned by the salesman himself and they don't like giving up tools up front or have to wait to get a replacement from snap-on.

Luckily I've never had a problem getting my tools warranty from my snap on rep.

Great post and thanks for sharing the article. I never knew most of that and in many cases it just comes down to which sticker is on the tin. I would feel cheated having spent an extra $100 bucks or so.

I think I will mostly stay with my normal tool brands and maybe in the future if I can pick something like Mac or SO up for a decent price, I might give it a try. For now though, I can't justify the cost when my good tools are working just fine. Thanks for sharing bud. Really helped me out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No no no! I have spent my career both at sea in the UK Merchant Navy and offshore oil and gas industry before coming ashore and working for myself as a marine engineer servicing commercial vessels so a career pretty demanding of good tools. One employer I had in oil and gas used to supply us with entire tool sets from Snap On. Honestly I thought they were no better than any other and infact worse than many. We had a higher breakage rate on hand tools with Snap On than any other brand and offshore you can't just call the Snap On van to come and warranty them. Their spanners are very spindly and thin which I'm assured by auto mechanics (who owe Snap On more than their home mortgage company) that this is a beneficial trait in the auto world but honestly when working with big boy toys it's not.

Are they decent tools? Yes, some of them are. Are they worth the cost? No, not inder any stretch of imagination!

I tend to find that the only guys who really think they are that good are really just trying to convince themselves they haven't been robbed, but they have.

Also: Snap On's biggest tool boxes are like £20,000?? I could literally employ someone to store my tools in a van and bring them to me on request for that money!

Diminishing returns.

Does a $150 ratchet work better than a $15 ratchet? Sure, why not. Is it 1000% better? Probably not. 200% better?

Where do you draw that line? When is the slight improvement worth spending more? Your opinion is ultimately swayed by its perceived value. But it's your perception, which may be vastly different than mine. I would never pay more for snap on, but I just bought Hilti. The exact same argument I make for not buying snap on could be made to not buy Hilti.

If you like it, buy it. Is it worth it? That's your call.

That's why we like to be reassured in forums like this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk