Upcoming: DCCS690 40V Max cordless chainsaw

Mr. Yellow

This looks the business. A yellow chainsaw. Me want, me want! ;)

It's a 16inch cordless and brushless chainsaw. Part of their 40v MAX outdoor power equipment line of tools.

The blablabla...

The DEWALT 40V MAX* Brushless Chain Saw delivers the performance of gas with the convenience of cordless. Equipped with a powerful brushless motor and a 16-in bar, this chain saw glides through a variety of cutting diameters with cut speed of gas, and reliability of battery-powered equipment. For optimal convenience, the unit features auto-oiling with LubriLink™ and LubriWell® delivering smooth cuts, long chain life and reduced maintenance. Tool-Free tensioning system allows for quick bar and chain adjustments with no additional tools required.

Available around mid-october in the US. 

post-44968-0-11324600-1443286519_thumb.j

post-44968-0-19906400-1443286525_thumb.j

post-44968-0-85394100-1443286532_thumb.j

I'd love a tool like that, so I'm not trying to shame it or anything, but I do think the design/materials/pictures makes it look more like a cheap toy... XD

Compared to for example: 

Stihl-MS661-C-M-Chainsaw.gif

SO, I'm really starting to be a bit worried about the longvity. But then again, it might just be the looks. 

It was in the UK , it was nothing special , can't say what company it was as signed a NDA as a contractor , but had a 20page book to read on "rules" , you were also not allowed to use 2way radios or the on site staff vending machines , there was lots of random stuff , it wasn't government or a high end posh place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running a Stihl 034 hard for awhile now. Just broke the pawl on it too, which is a cheap fix but I'm already invested in Dewalt 40V... Maybe I'll just end up with both! I can see a necessary update for the Type 2 already though. Those 'claws' at the base of the blade on the Stihl make a huge difference when you're going through a particularly thick stick.

Now... When is the lawn mower coming out?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can really give the stihl saws some abuse, I see what you mean about it being like a toy, may not be up to the everyday or heavy duty use.

I know they are going down the route of battery outdoor equipment but what is really wrong with petrol

The additional noise, regular maintainence, fumes, and harder to start. Personally I would say that both gas and battery powered chainsaws have there roles. I own a Ryobi 40v and it suits me just fine. It wouldn't be sufficient to clear a forest, but all I need it for is to cut down a few small trees and some pruning and it is more than sufficient for that role.

Yupp. The only times I had to get out a chainsaw, ut was for small jobs. Last time, wasted 15 min trying to start it. Got it started in the end, but managed to suffocate it. Probably needed to be maintained. 

Had to get my hand saw and axe in the end. So an electric one would be highly approciated. :)
Theese petrol motors is no fan of me. :P Even though I've repaired one or two.

Picked this saw up today after trying to repair my Stihl's starter assembly with the wrong string pulley. ... I got a good 2 1/2 hours of use out of it before the sun went down, so let me share my thoughts:

This chainsaw is NOT ready to use out of the box. I don't mean it's disassembled or that the battery needs charging, though it did need a charge. No, there wasn't any bar oil included. Had I not had oil on hand, say if this was my first saw, I would've been more put out. But I expect a $400 tool to be ready for use when I get it unwrapped. Just a small bottle of bar oil for a single fill-up to get a guy started is all that I'm saying. Or maybe a heads up on the packaging that it's not included?

It's relatively light. My Stihl 034 dry weight without a bar weighs the same as the Dewalt with bar and battery. I could feel the difference in my hands after two hours. 16" is a shorter bar for me, but I could see putting an even smaller bar on and using it as a pruning saw during high work for the weight and the push button operation.

Speaking of operational capabilities. There's no yanking on a string and letting it idle. That's a big plus if it's going to hang off of a lanyard from my waist. Honestly, it was just so easy to use! Same trigger assembly as the hedge trimmer; push down on a safety and then pull the trigger. The kick back handle locks out the trigger, as well, and the electric brake was well done. I did notice that it didn't handle push cuts on top of the bar as well as what I'm used to. It also doesn't have the spikes along the blade that allow you to ratchet down a cut - this needs to be rectified in the type 2 or be available as an add-on.

I was very impressed with the chain that it came with. Incredibly sharp and very little kick back. The tool-free tightening mechanism was a real pleasure to use after fighting with screnchs for years. After a few hours I did notice a decrease in the cutting ability, which isn't surprising. Part of that was due to diminishing returns as the battery depletes. I would rather have gotten full juice until the saw refuses to turn anymore, than a slow (and small) decline in performance that causes me to consider a dull chain.

I had to fill up the bar oil reservoir twice; once at the beginning and again at the middle, which seemed excessive. I also noticed that the reservoir seemed to leak and that the whole affair was fairly messy (oily). This is something that I expect from my antique pawn-shop gasser, just not from a new electric saw. I suspect that my oil reservoir cap is missing an o-ring. There's no rubber seal on the cap as it is but there is a groove just under the head of the cap... I'll look up a diagram later to confirm and probably exchange it at Lowes for another one rather than going through the warranty.

The oily situation made me wish that it came with a hard shell case. It has a bar guard, but anything that is going to drip oil in my garage needs something to contain it. Or even in general, a hard shell case would be nice when it's bouncing around in the bed of a pickup.

Finally, the noise output was quite low. Should be attractive to arborists working in well populated areas or homeowners with grouchy neighbors. I had ear-pro but it wasn't really necessary. Interestingly, my dog didn't find it threatening and I had more issues than usual keeping him clear of the felling zone. He has always given my Stihl a wide berth even when it's idling.

To conclude:

Pros: lightweight, low kickback, tool-free tightening, easy starts, no idling, moderate power*, quiet

Cons: bar oil not included, leaking oil reservoir, no case, doesn't deter pets(lol?), moderate power*, no spikes

*I have several larger trees, >24" in diameter, that I'll take down in the next few months. I'll report back if it's able to work through a trunk larger than the bar length without getting bogged down.