DeWALT DCBL590 40v Max backpack blower

Mr. Yellow

It would have been nice if they had the two 40v batteries paired up for turbo boost power, In reality this isn't a spring or fall cleanup blower your still going to want gas for that. This is good for cleaning up after a mow and some light debris.

• Like 1

It would have been nice if they had the two 40v batteries paired up for turbo boost power, In reality this isn't a spring or fall cleanup blower your still going to want gas for that. This is good for cleaning up after a mow and some light debris.

Someone needs to get their hands on one and figure out a way to hack the wiring. Make it run on 80v (72 volts). [emoji16]

Someone needs to get their hands on one and figure out a way to hack the wiring. Make it run on 80v (72 volts). [emoji16]

I might try just that.  Problem is that becomes really difficult with these brushless motors.  Old brushed motors, you could just up the voltage and the motor would complain and burn up after not too long, but it would still work.  Most brushless controllers will detect the wrong voltage and either shut down or just regulate the higher voltage down to the intended voltage for the motor.

Easiest related hack was to rewire a 3Ah 18V battery to a 1.5Ah 36V battery back when nothing had a controller.  Those were good times.

I might try just that. Problem is that becomes really difficult with these brushless motors. Old brushed motors, you could just up the voltage and the motor would complain and burn up after not too long, but it would still work. Most brushless controllers will detect the wrong voltage and either shut down or just regulate the higher voltage down to the intended voltage for the motor.

Easiest related hack was to rewire a 3Ah 18V battery to a 1.5Ah 36V battery back when nothing had a controller. Those were good times.

Maybe AvE will try something like that eventually.

• Like 1

A related thing that also surprised me is the need to physically switch between the two batteries.  It could easily be set to either run down the battery with a lower charge then switch to the other, or always use the battery in one slot first, but requiring the user to physically switch batteries just shows a lack of effort in the design of what will probably be their flagship lawn care product.  Just sticking a three position switch between the two batteries is a bit of a copout.

Might as well not even have the extra battery slot then if you just have to switch between the two, I suppose it's a pain to swap out batteries but is it worth carrying the extra weight around?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind, this is their "pro" line of lawn care. Having a few friends that specialize in commercial landscaping & maintenance, the ability to have a backup battery can really extend work time and productivity. Imagine having the maintenance contract on a Kroger or Walmart shopping center and you're across the parking lot when your battery dies. Or have the maintenance contract on the common areas of an entire neighborhood. That could mean a lot of down time and backtracking to get a battery. Just my thoughts.

Keep in mind, this is their "pro" line of lawn care. Having a few friends that specialize in commercial landscaping & maintenance, the ability to have a backup battery can really extend work time and productivity. Imagine having the maintenance contract on a Kroger or Walmart shopping center and you're across the parking lot when your battery dies. Or have the maintenance contract on the common areas of an entire neighborhood. That could mean a lot of down time and backtracking to get a battery. Just my thoughts.

Yea that's true I didn't think about it that way, if that happened to me the fine people of Walmart would hear my extensive vocabulary as I truck my way back to the truck for the back up battery lol.

Jimbo

Yea that's true I didn't think about it that way, if that happened to me the fine people of Walmart would hear my extensive vocabulary as I truck my way back to the truck for the back up battery lol.

Jimbo

Haha. I bet. The plus side is if you're using this for smaller properties, just don't put the extra battery in and save the weight.