My gramps and me finished our first shower project together

Bigmikez

So me and my gramps did our first shower project together guys sorry I didn't take more pics he was in a hurry to get this project done for my grandma who can't really lift her legs all that well any more the original bath was super old and to high for her we also had to change a coupe of 2x4's and reinforce the floor under the house now that was a pain in the ass to do but we got it done. Don't be to hard on me guys it was my first time putting tile, it was very cool to c how happy my grandparents were when we finally got done and I should've took a pic of the tile cutter we narrowed from my grandpas friend it was an older one that didn't even have a name on it but it did the job I'll take pic when I barrow it to do my bathroom next.

• Like 3

Thanks guys we've slowly been updating there house lil by lil the living room got updated in the beginning of the year I did the base boards,painted patched up a lot holes and we had someone come in and do the tile, I was a lil scared to take on so much at the time :} this house was built in 1906 so it's not always easy to do quick fixes here everything we've done so far has gave us some kind of challenge but it's all worth it in the end. It was great to work with my gramps it's really cool to see how happy they are with it. Next I'm gonna do the trim in there patch up some holes put in a new sink and cabinet and paint I'll make sure to take more pics this time. Thanks Crew!

Looks good Big Mikez!! I really don't see the point in a bath tub anymore how many adults really take baths anymore? I would rather have a multihead shower

I'm trying to convince my wife we don't need a tub, but with a baby she still wants one for baths. Would make my life much easier with a shower!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Doing stuff like that with your gramps is awesome, don't take that time for granted, some of my best moments with my dad are just tinkering in the garage cleaning off the work bench or farting around with some tools, great memories and you guys did an awesome job.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Man crew u guys are the best!!! This project really makes me wanna tackle my restroom now but I still got more work to do at there house so mine will be put on hold for a couple weeks longer, the experience of working side by side with my gramps is awesome feeling ill never forget if only u guys could see how proud he is showing it off to our other relative lol. I hadn't had a project in awhile so this one felt good to do. T.I.A#1!!!

• Like 1

Nice work Mike!! Priceless memories made with your gramps right there and I'm sure grandma is so much happier and safer now that she doesn't have to climb over the lip of the tub!! You could have very well prevented her from taking a fall by doing this project.. That's gotta make you feel great.

Other than that dewalt light, what tools did you get to use on this project?

• Like 1

Looking good BigMike you could have saved yourself a step by just putting the wonderboard up on the studs unless you had to pad the walls out.

A tip for when you do you shower at your house. Use a solid material for your shower sill  and have a sleight slop into the shower so the water wants to run back into the shower. It is best not to have joints where water wants to lay. 

• Like 1

Looking good BigMike you could have saved yourself a step by just putting the wonderboard up on the studs unless you had to pad the walls out.

A tip for when you do you shower at your house. Use a solid material for your shower sill  and have a sleight slop into the shower so the water wants to run back into the shower. It is best not to have joints where water wants to lay. 

This, travertine is the norm. And after I do my pan bed, I run two coats of Red Guard over the entire shower area as an extra layer. Water always finds a way, and I run into ruptured shower pans all the time. This added step takes nearly no time and gives a lot of peace of mind for a very long lasting barrier. This stuff is bullet-proof and very easy to apply. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-RedGard-1-Gal-Waterproofing-and-Crack-Prevention-Membrane-LQWAF1/100169081 

Nice work Mike!! Priceless memories made with your gramps right there and I'm sure grandma is so much happier and safer now that she doesn't have to climb over the lip of the tub!! You could have very well prevented her from taking a fall by doing this project.. That's gotta make you feel great.

Other than that dewalt light, what tools did you get to use on this project?

. Yo NER!! Other than the norm impact ,drill, circular saw,estwing hammer and milwaukee angle grinder to cut the wonder board I didn't get to pull out the big dws780 cus it was only a couple 2x6's that we inserted under the house for more sturdiness we also had this big tile saw machine bright yellow with no info on it at all lol like a dummy I don't take a pic of it but I'm gonna barrow it again soon so I will for sure take a pic of it then it worked really good for being as old as it is my gramps friend said he's had it for YEARS... It was fun and stressful at the same time cus I was just praying it would all come out good. Thanks NER!!

A tip for when you do you shower at your house. Use a solid material for your shower sill and have a sleight slop into the shower so the water wants to run back into the shower. It is best not to have joints where water wants to lay.

. Thanks Rego it means a lot coming from all u guys and also thanks for the tips man I will know for the next one bro.

. Yo NER!! Other than the norm impact ,drill, circular saw,estwing hammer and milwaukee angle grinder to cut the wonder board I didn't get to pull out the big dws780 cus it was only a couple 2x6's that we inserted under the house for more sturdiness we also had this big tile saw machine bright yellow with no info on it at all lol like a dummy I don't take a pic of it but I'm gonna barrow it again soon so I will for sure take a pic of it then it worked really good for being as old as it is my gramps friend said he's had it for YEARS... It was fun and stressful at the same time cus I was just praying it would all come out good. Thanks NER!!

Well no need to stress anymore! It came out great.. Often we are our own biggest critic and usually for no good reason!!

Tile saws are fun machines. Sounds like you got to use a nice one which probably made the job much easier!