Tool security sign out cabinet

Bill Gilbert

Hi, I'm trying to come up with a way to lock up our Makita power tools at work. Every mechanic needs to have access 24 hours a day. I need a way to electronically keep track of who takes what and if they put it back. They have not be returning them and then they disappear. I have never seen a system like this so I do not know where to begin to look.

Thanks

Bill

1) A more expensive solution would be to use CribMaster cabinets. you can read about them here: http://www.cribmaster.com/solutions/tool-control/prolock

2) Dewalt's new bluetooth batteries allow you to lend a battery out to someone for a specified amount of time along with typing in who you lent it to. After the lend time is up, the battery will disable its self. 

You could try Tile. I don't know how many tools or what your budget would be as some of them can be very expensive. I bet you could possibly put one in the handle of the tool. I know it doesn't allow a sign out feature like you want though this is more anti theft/tracking

https://www.thetileapp.com/how-it-works

Could you just set up a camera next to the cabinet and tell each mechanic they have to hold the tool up in front of the camera when they grab the tool and before they put it away? Doesn't allow instant records for signing in and out tools but at least if one disappears you can go back and see who took it last.

• Like 2

Could you just set up a camera next to the cabinet and tell each mechanic they have to hold the tool up in front of the camera when they grab the tool and before they put it away? Doesn't allow instant records for signing in and out tools but at least if one disappears you can go back and see who took it last.

It's not prefect but the fact of having a system will make people think twice about tools walking off.

I work for a large company that should be able to afford a system such as Cribmaster. I haven't read into it too much yet, but so far it sounds like what I was looking for.

On the camera idea, I believe there would be an issue with the fact the people are being recorded. I think its not allowed according to the union contract.

And the funny thing is, the tool that has been missing for 2 months that prompted me to look for a system to secure tools showed up today!

Thanks for your suggestions. I think Cribmaster is going to be the ticket.

• Like 2