Shave Horse, the beginning........

comp56

well like my father before me I figured it was time to make a shave horse, if you are not familiar with what a shave horse is:

shaving horse (shave horse, or shaving bench) is a combination of vice and workbench, used for green woodworking. A foot-actuated clamp holds the work piece securely against pulling forces, especially as when shaped with a drawknife or  spokeshave.

here is what one looks like, mine will be a little different.........now there are hundreds of variations sizes and types but they all generally do the same thing.....

t0109marge-daniel_feat3_5.jpg

I coped the legs for added strength....

2_22.jpg

here is what I have so far, I added a padded seat as well once paint is dry I will be adding cheese block and vise along with foot bar......

1_22.jpg

• Like 2

thanks guys, 

@RCWARD I just covered a piece of 1/2" pine with 1-1/2" high density foam with some left over white leather I had.......

here is the shave horse ready for action, the magic is all in what they call the cheese block, this tapered block can be adjusted just by moving it forward or back for different heights.....I put a piece in it just to try and it works great, nice that the vise is controlled by your feet...

b_1.jpg

c_1.jpg

a_1.jpg

• Like 3