Anyone have experience with the Makita Makpac cases?

Illini

Has anyone used the Makita Makpac cases? If so, how would you say they compare against Bosch L-Boxxes? I have a number of Makita bare tools that I have acquired over the last year or so and I don't have any storage for them currently. I don't have a great deal of storage space, so I was looking for something that can stack well vertically. I already have some Bosch L-Boxxes and I like them, but the obsexxive part of my brain has issues with storing one brand of tool in another manufacturers storage unit (plus I like to know at a glance what tool I am looking at).

I might also consider the Dewalt tough cases, but I think they are a bit more heavy duty than I need. I am also on a budget, so systainers are out of my price range (sorry ChrisK!)

I am a DIY guy, so I don't have to worry about having to constantly stack and unstuck the boxes, nor do I really cart them around much at all, in case that factors into anyone's opinion.

The Makpac cases are made by Tanos and are what the older Systainers were I have one, decent case, I have a few of the older Systainers too, not a fan of the latch but they are great cases especially for stacking! All the boxes including Festools Systainers and the Makpacs interlock!

• Like 1

No problem Illini, and I agree with Turner too. My old Systainers open hard. The Makpac I have opens a little easier but it's still a hard pull on the tabs but they don't accidentally open either. I would agree that the prices are right for those tool boxes though! And it's nice knowing I can stick all of these together regardless of color. And if you get real rich you can order the a Sprtainer with all of the drawers. Super nice boxes! If you do decide to get into that line and decide you want the Sortainer, I would order it from Amazon Germany. I did, had it within three days and saved nearly forty dollars!

Have two boxes (L-Boxxes)from Bosch, and two Makpac from Makita.

And Bosch's system is definitely the best. Very quick and easy to take one box from another in the bosch system. 

Makita's tabs is a bit hard, not very good grip, and you have to open four to take two boxes apart. Versus Bosch, that only have two, that opens without any struggle or strenght at all. 

Makitas boxes uses the same joints to connect the boxes and open/close. But on bosch, this is separate. I like that. 

Probably use at least 4-5 times the time to separate and open a box. 

All in All, both is better than no box system, but Bosch is the only one that is quick enough that I want to connect the boxes when I'm using the tools at a daily basis in my workshop. 

I feel that Makita's system is perhaps a bit "safer", since they would never release accidentaly when carrying it. Not that I've had any trouble with bosch, but given how easy they are to connect/disconnect, I would suspect it might be an issue.  

• Like 1

Although my point of view is a little different from Andrull's, I actually love the l boxxes too. I have a half dozen and my only real gripe is the stack connectors are a little hard to line up perfectly (probably user error) whereas my systainer t locs are a piece of cake. You slide them on top of the bottom one, turn the latch....locked. The Makpacs and older Systainers uses the plastic tabs to positively click onto these nubs. They don't come loose. I can see what Andrull's is saying about the latches too and like Andrull, I have not had any problems with the latches letting go. They seem to be made of a flexible plastic that "feels" like it could break but mine never have! I love the footprint of the l boxx and they are slightly larger. Also Sortimo has a ton of variations for their boxes. All in all expensive like the Systainers but you are buying into a line of storage that will exceed your expectations.

If you are on a budget. Check out Ridgids Pro Tool Box set that is stackable. Just as tough as the DeWalt tough box at a fraction of the price. I have a bunch and love them! The now oven an  open top tote that latches on as well.

Home Depot is having a Black Friday deal where you get the large rolling bottom tote, medium tote, and small organizer tote for $98. That is great deal. Check them out if you haven't yet.

• Like 1

The big win on the Rigid cases is the fact they don't require an expensive cart like the Dewalt Tough boxes. The big bottom case is the cart and storage. Regiopit uses Tough Boxes but he just straps them on a standard dolly to get them around.

• 2 months later...