What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

5 hours ago, regopit said:

I live in Maryland and we get some high temps but it is only for a few months. It has an insulated ceiling and a reflective roof and that should help. I got a great deal on it 7 x 14 with 16" on center floor and wall and a bunch of other extras for $3,200 I can over look the black. 

Oh you're way up there, In that case I'd buy it too, good deal. After fighting all of my tools inside my pickup and getting my trailer I'm way more satisfied with work, was a total PITA to setup and breakdown every day. Now it takes me minutes and I have it all organized instead of having to dig. 

Invest in a ball lock if you don't have one. They aren't cheap but it's great peace of mind for when you leave the trailer on a job. I have about 10k worth of goodies in mine and if stolen it would break me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phffter said:

picked up a M12 milwaukee circular saw. cut some 3/4 foam board. not impressed with the hysteria. saw was bogging down.

next time, i guess ill string a cord

Take a file and sharpen the edge of a 3 or 4 inch stiff spackle knife, use with a straight edge like a level. Make about 3 scoring cuts. and snap, then cut the film on the other side. It is inexpensive, works great and doesn't create that static electricity charged foam dust that sticks to everything. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SevenOddosFence said:

Tired of trying to start my craftsman 2 stroke chain saw so i went with this DeWALT cordless today 

007.JPG

I have an old corded electric Eager Beaver (McCulloch) and it hasn't been out in a few years. I do most of my pruning with an old 18V DeWALT reciprocating saw with some Diablo pruning blades. I love those blades. I even took down an 8" mulberry tree with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phffter said:

picked up a M12 milwaukee circular saw. cut some 3/4 foam board. not impressed with the hysteria. saw was bogging down.

next time, i guess ill string a cord

Is there something about foam board that i'm missing? Should be able to zip right through, being soft compared to wood??   It does perfect for OSB and occasional 2x lumber when I need to make cross bracing for plumbing installs, has no trouble with that.

Although I do always have a 4ah battery on it, that really helps

8 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Is there something about foam board that i'm missing? Should be able to zip right through, being soft compared to wood??   It does perfect for OSB and occasional 2x lumber when I need to make cross bracing for plumbing installs, has no trouble with that.

Although I do always have a 4ah battery on it, that really helps

3ah. i guess it was the knots

1 hour ago, Sluggo74 said:

Got some sockets for my new Milwaukee 3/8 impact wrench in the mail today.

Nice buy, I've been thinking about buying those myself. I'm stuck between those or the Gearwrench set. I wish the sets went a little higher in size because the Milwaukee is more powerful than most 3/8" impacts. I had to buy a single socket for my lug nuts. I could use my 1/2" for it but the 3/8" has plenty of power. I need to decide soon, it's pretty ridiculous to have a 3/8" impact wrench with ONE 3/8" impact socket haha.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Nice buy, I've been thinking about buying those myself. I'm stuck between those or the Gearwrench set. I wish the sets went a little higher in size because the Milwaukee is more powerful than most 3/8" impacts. I had to buy a single socket for my lug nuts. I could use my 1/2" for it but the 3/8" has plenty of power. I need to decide soon, it's pretty ridiculous to have a 3/8" impact wrench with ONE 3/8" impact socket haha.

I have both sets. Pay for themselves every day.

Warehouse deal on Knipex thanks @BMack37 and the other one because @BK13 was making me jealous.

20160825_190547.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, BMack37 said:

They do make some bigger sets that go up to 22mm for the metric set and up to 1 inch for the standard set. It was more money but that is the route I went. Here is the metric sethttps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LQDB86/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1472178876&sr=8-6-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sumex+3%2F8+impact+socket+set, and here is the standard. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LQDB86/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1472178876&sr=8-6-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sumex+3%2F8+impact+socket+set

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NicholasShetley said:

Thanks, I haven't seen those thanks!

Here is today's pickup, I think I'm in love. This strips a lot better than the Irwin automatic stripper! Very happy that Amazon dropped the price on this or else I wouldn't have given it a shot.

aLJLJD4.jpg

I also picked up some misc Fluke stuff because fanboy and a pretty crappy anti-fatigue mat because SYW points were expiring and I couldn't find a pair of Knipex I wanted but didn't have #FirstWorldProblems

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Thanks, I haven't seen those thanks!

Here is today's pickup, I think I'm in love. This strips a lot better than the Irwin automatic stripper! Very happy that Amazon dropped the price on this or else I wouldn't have given it a shot.

aLJLJD4.jpg

I also picked up some misc Fluke stuff because fanboy and a pretty crappy anti-fatigue mat because SYW points were expiring and I couldn't find a pair of Knipex I wanted but didn't have #FirstWorldProblems

What sizes does it strip reliably?  Both are rated for 10-24AWG but I use the irwins for stripping a lot of multiconductor sheathing plus wires down to 30AWG.

4 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

What sizes does it strip reliably?  Both are rated for 10-24AWG but I use the irwins for stripping a lot of multiconductor sheathing plus wires down to 30AWG.

I'm not really sure right now, I just stripped the wire I had laying around at home. I can probably tell you tomorrow but I imagine it will do very fine wire with the V-shaped jaw. The black piece in the front of the jaw is also V-shaped and is slightly grippy, so it should minimize the slippage I get with the Irwins.

• Like 1

My replacement 2701-20 and 2.0 battery came in, picked them up today. Comparing the M18 brushless compact to the Dewalr XR, I'm not completely sure where I stand. The Milwaukee seems decent, they are very similar size. The Dewalt has more power, and a more thoughtful light placement, and a nicer grip (imo). The Milwaukee forward/reverse switch is much nicer. The Milwaukee transmission switch is too easy to switch, makes it seem like it's just electronic rather than mechanical, or made of crap parts. The Dewalt is firm, but almost too firm. They should both be a bit more like each other haha. The Milwaukee lies down nicer on its side w rubber on the toll and battery. The Dewalt is wobbly lying down, but comes with a belt clip (screw you Milwaukee). Overall, I'd say 2701 likely isn't quite as good as a 791. The 796 is overall likely a better package than the 2702, but I do like that the 2702 has a separate collar switch for drive/drill/hammer. The clutch settings on the 796 are quiet and easy to change. The Milwaukee has a nice click to it, similar to the 2704 Fuel. The 796 clutch settings are far looser and quieter than the 996 clutch settings, the 996 is louder and meatier than the Fuel. I now really want a 791...4 drills is enough... 4 drills is enough...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

I compared them today, 24AWG was the lowest I could find and the Felo was not as reliable as the Irwin with those but the Felo out-performed the Irwins on thicker wire and wire with thicker insulation. The cutter on the Felo also performed better. I don't think the Felo would do smaller than 24AWG.  

• Like 1