Adding magnets to impact

Trident167

I had an idea to add a couple of strong magnets to the top of my impact to hold a few screws of even bits. Then I started to think that maybe the magnets being that close to the motor might cause interference with the operation of the impact.

The Makita on my avatar only has two spots with plastic where the magnets would stick well. Back and top before the chuck.

What do you think?

I had an idea to add a couple of strong magnets to the top of my impact to hold a few screws of even bits. Then I started to think that maybe the magnets being that close to the motor might cause interference with the operation of the impact.

The Makita on my avatar only has two spots with plastic where the magnets would stick well. Back and top before the chuck.

What do you think?

Tutorial - Magnets from Old Hard Drives

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7717-Tutorial---Magnets-from-Old-Hard-Drives

Here you go, it was nalu

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an old Ryobi 18v drill that had a magnet at the base by the battery pack. Might try that. Any issues with magnets near the battery? These are strong magnets.

A magnet near a battery is fine, it's the potential messing with the magnetic field of the windings that could cause some minor issues.

Also, you could buy the plastic bit holders and epoxy the magnets in. Black epoxy would look good and you could have a layer covering the magnets to make it easier to remove screws and bits.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think?

If they are not really strong magnets. I wouldn't worrie to much. And as long as the poles are turn the right way. It shouldn't bother anything anyway. But I'm no expert on this stuff. Try a cheap drill first with a very strong magnet. Like out of a computer. I like those. Very strong. Maybe too strong though. Idk?

Sent from my LGAS995 using Tapatalk

If they are not really strong magnets. I wouldn't worrie to much. And as long as the poles are turn the right way. It shouldn't bother anything anyway. But I'm no expert on this stuff. Try a cheap drill first with a very strong magnet. Like out of a computer. I like those. Very strong. Maybe too strong though. Idk?

I like the strong magnets because you can stick larger drill bits and stuff on.  Might be a bit too much for a couple 1" insert bits though.

I like the strong magnets because you can stick larger drill bits and stuff on. Might be a bit too much for a couple 1" insert bits though.

Festool has magnets where the battery is. I would go for it. If you have a older drill or a cheapo, maybe test it on it first with a strong magnet. Make sure you got the poles turned the right way. Lol

Would glueing the dewalt mag bit holder to the side of the battery be better or two of them inline so you could hold hex drill bits or just plenty of bits on there if need be ? Just a thought 3739e893d0bf82f401460f6a7365d5a7.jpg

Idk? I'd say one would be enuf? Try one with a little dab of super glue. Then if you need another add another. And then glue them better.

Miller

• 2 weeks later...

Is that yours? Looks like a ring but how does it hold onto the drill and how do the bits stay in place?

The one's that I've seen line that held on with velcro. It's basically a velcro strap with slots for bits, wondering if it's a bad idea to cover those vents.